NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Makes Scooby sound. Huh?

The 3 rarest T206 backs, besides the Ty Cobb back, which is exclusive to the Georgia Peach himself, I thought were:

1. Brown Old Mill
2. Lennox Brown
3. Drum
3a. Broad Leaf 460 subjects

I don't remember an Old Mill blue being confirmed. Did I miss something?
Bill, it was slightly before your time.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=154721
Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

E92 Croft’s (red)
E98 Old Put
E121 Kings, Gertenrich
M101-4/5 Everybody's, Haserot's, Mall Theater
R316 Douglas Park, Morton, Rialto
T205 Hindu, Drum
T206 Old Mill (brown), Lenox (brown)
T207 Red Cross
T213-3 Overprint
T216 Virginia Extra
W461 Playland
W514 Hendler's, Barker
W515 Fleer, Jersey
W551 Wool's
W554 Lucky Yo-Yo, Lukcy Deal, 40 Winners, Bonemery
W573/E120 Cafe du Monde, Cream Nut, Kings, Leader Theatre
W575-1 Johnson, Haffner's, Clark's, Gassler's, Leader Theatre, Queen City, Shotwell, Service Candy
Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Todd Schultz

I hate to be a pest, but using your criteria from post #32, you should delete m101-4 Everybody's too, as more than 50 examples exist. Also, I am among those who have yet to acknowledge Haserot's as a true back variation, FWIW.

As for Gertenrich, I'll leave the populations for others to report, but I too have a Walker SGC 40 that has no back damage. If you are declaring it scarce only when it has no back damage, then you'd better re-add Holmes to Homes as well, for although the pop reports show 70 graded, only nine of those are better than poor.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

That's not being a pest at all; this is the feedback I want. I don't care about condition, so Holmes to Homes stays off the list. Is your objection to Haserot's just that it's a stamp (which I'm okay with) as opposed to all the other tough M101-4/5 backs, or that you suspect the stamp wasn't added until many years after the card was issued?

E92 Croft’s (red)
E98 Old Put
E121 Kings, Gertenrich
M101-4/5 Haserot's, Mall Theater
T205 Hindu, Drum
T207 Red Cross
T213-3 Overprint
T216 Virginia Extra
W461 Playland
W514 Hendler's, Barker
W515 Fleer, Jersey
W551 Wool's
W575-1 Johnson, Haffner's, Clark's, Gassler's, Leader Theatre, Queen City, Shotwell, Service Candy
Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Is your objection to Haserot's just that it's a stamp (which I'm okay with) as opposed to all the other tough M101-4/5 backs, or that you suspect the stamp wasn't added until many years after the card was issued?
Good question. I think I'll go with "no comment".
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
That's not being a pest at all; this is the feedback I want. I don't care about condition, so Holmes to Homes stays off the list. Is your objection to Haserot's just that it's a stamp (which I'm okay with) as opposed to all the other tough M101-4/5 backs, or that you suspect the stamp wasn't added until many years after the card was issued?

E92 Croft’s (red)
E98 Old Put
E121 Kings, Gertenrich
M101-4/5 Haserot's, Mall Theater
T205 Hindu, Drum
T207 Red Cross
T213-3 Overprint
T216 Virginia Extra
W461 Playland
W514 Hendler's, Barker
W515 Fleer, Jersey
W551 Wool's
First, I'm pleasantly surprised to see the R316 Douglas Park cards on this list, since I own a couple of them. But they really are just a stamp on the back on a regular card. How are they different from the T206 with the Howe McCormack stamp or the F stamp? If I stamp "Dave" on the back of a card, is it now on the rare back list? I think that I would only call it a "back" if it was printed on and not stamped (although how would you tell the difference sometimes?)

Last edited by DaveW; 08-26-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: less snarkiness
Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM

M131?

I am also pretty sure that there are more than 50 virginia extra examples out there.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

M131 could go in the same category as D355; you can put it on your list if you reject Burdick's decision to catalog it as a set. Otherwise you have 100% of them with the rare back instead of less than 1%.

The difference is in the other issue that has been raised, stamping vs. printing. Let me explain my choice to include stamped backs, or rather, some of them, as I may not have been sufficiently thorough when I first addressed it. This part admittedly is a bit subjective, but I've arrived at what I think is a reasonable method of classification. Others surely will disagree. My thinking is influenced by some of the same criteria that folks in the hobby apply in deciding whether or not something should be considered a baseball card at all. Was it intended for public distribution? Was it used to advertise a particular product?

I don't think old Howe, or Gilliam, or F, or Jeff himself stamped a card as a means of growing his brand. They stamped their cards in the same way that people used to stamp their books, for identification of the owner's personal inventory. If, on the other hand, I were to stamp a card:

"Sal's Sno-Balls
Metairie Rd.
---------------------
One of 50 Pictures
Of Base Ball Players
Of the American
And National Leagues"

or something like that and give out those cards one summer to every customer who purchases a particular product, then I've created a new type of card. I submit that this is true whether I also own the printing press for the cards and the negatives for the photos that were used on them or, alternatively, if I'm just using pre-existing images for my cards or pre-existing cards for my ad.

That's just hypothetical, and I wouldn't place a premium on a card that was created in that way today using strip cards from the 1920s, but if they were created during a window of time in which the original unstamped card was still being actively distributed, then I would classify it as a different back for that set.

What if it was stamped a year later? A decade later? There's no clear right answer to me, but as a rule I would say it's period stamping as long as the players in the set were still active. And I think there are people who can tell if a card was stamped before or after it became heavily worn, so I would defer to their input if there are examples of stamps on prewar cards that might have been added in, say, 1986.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman444 View Post

I am also pretty sure that there are more than 50 virginia extra examples out there.
That does seem probable. I'll remove them for the next update.