NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Mike

Default Ty Cobb Museum

Has anyone on here been to the Ty Cobb Museum in Royston, Georgia ? If so, your impressions, review, etc. Many cards or memororabilia displayed ?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Been there. Will not be going back.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Mark

Default Ty Cobb Museum

I was there in August of 1998, which I believe is shortly after it had opened. I'm a huge Ty Cobb fan, and at the time, I had just finished reading Al Stump's book, Cobb. I happened to visit my uncle in SC, so I made the three hour trip. To me, it was worth stopping by. I don't know that it warrants a separate trip just to see it, but certainly worth stopping if you're in the area. I also stopped by the cemetary to see his grave, which I thought was neat as well. I think there was a a bit of memorabilia, but I don't recall a large collection of cards.

Mark
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Never knew it existed. Love this place... Always learning something new!

Last edited by Davy_Kangaroo_Jones; 07-17-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
qualitycards

I stopped there a few years ago after visiting my boy at Ft Benning
Though I arrived 30 minutes after it closed, so had to look through the window.
Its in the complex of a hospital where Cobb had donated a huge sum of money.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Mike

Haven't heard anything positive yet.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Tony Ooten

I visited about two years ago.

IMO it is nicely done with alot of memorabilia and displays. Seems like there is a card or two within the displays. They have a small gift shop that sells souvenier cards.

I had business in a neighboring town, went maybe an 45 mins out of my way, and spent about one to two hours in the museum. I wouldn't recommend making much more of an effort than that, but if you find yourself that close, it's worth dropping by!

Last edited by tonyo; 07-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I live only 30 minute from but have never been. I have spoken to a few who have been there but while nice and informative I havn't gotten the impression of greatness.
here are a few momentos that I have heard of but overall good to see if you are passing through but don't go way of of the way to see.
It's amazing how many people that grew up in my town (Toccoa, GA) never knew Ty Cobb was from so close. There was a signed ball found in an old farm house attic here about ten years ago. It gives me hope that something mught turn up in a yard sale or some other random place but so far nothing.
Oh well, one can always hope and dream.
Drew
Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
It gives me hope that something mught turn up in a yard sale or some other random place but so far nothing.
Oh well, one can always hope and dream.
Drew
Drew, I know what you mean. I keep expecting to find a Cobb/Cobb back tucked in the pages of an old book here in Cobb County.

Tony
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Daryle Barbee

Been there....its OK.......visited his grave also......not too many miles from Shoeless Joes grave actually....maybe a 100 or so????...been there too
Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 AM

In the 1990s, my dad and I stopped by the George Gipp (The Gipper) memorial in his tiny remote hometown of Lauriam Michigan. When we got to the town, my dad asked a girl where was the memorial, and she had no idea who was George Gipp.

The memorial was just a plaque on a brick wall in a small park, but I got my photo op in front of it.

Last edited by drc; 07-20-2012 at 12:47 AM.