NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Starxcards?

Forgive me if you talked about this at length (I don't see it via Search), but what's the story with this grading service and these folks?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Glyn Parson

Default what grading service?

Paul seems to submit to whichever service will put the highest number on the card. Not unheard of. Too many GAI cards for my liking, though on a personal level I like Paul and think he's a nice guy doesn't mean I would buy a card from him sight unseen.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Paul seems to submit to whichever service will put the highest number on the card. Not unheard of. Too many GAI cards for my liking, though on a personal level I like Paul and think he's a nice guy doesn't mean I would buy a card from him sight unseen.
I think he's talking about somethihg else. Paul started doing his own grading a few months ago. The card is graded and placed in a toploader with a sticker that identifies the card and the grade. His grades seem to be pretty accurate to me.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Greg Mitchell

You mean the card is not slabbed--you can take it out easily and leave it raw or send to grading service? His sticker just makes it seem more "official" and valid? Do others have experience with him and accuracy of grades?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 AM

It looks as if the sticker goes over the edge of a top loader, so the card is sort of sealed. Some big dealers do that as a form of inventory cataloging. I've gotten items like that where the sticker included a serial number, I assume for their records. Mike Wheat use to do that type of thing. They my also think it important and self-protecting for returns-- which I appreciate.

It may not be used as "grading" as we know it, but as a label for items they sell.

Last edited by drc; 06-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
It looks as if the sticker goes over the edge of a top loader, so the card is sort of sealed.
And I suppose this is utilized for their return policy too. A graded card when returned can be verified by the cert # on the flip.
But in a raw card transaction, both the buyer & seller are at the mercy of their honesty.
So if you were to return a card, it would have that label & still be sealed in the holder.

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 06-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
It looks as if the sticker goes over the edge of a top loader, so the card is sort of sealed. Some big dealers do that as a form of inventory cataloging. I've gotten items like that where the sticker included a serial number, I assume for their records. Mike Wheat use to do that type of thing. They my also think it important and self-protecting for returns-- which I appreciate.

It may not be used as "grading" as we know it, but as a label for items they sell.
I understand what you're saying and yes, many dealers do as you described for inventory records. However, Starx is purposely grading their own cards. From their eBay description: "Starxcards grading is for the collector. It assures you that we have looked at your card with more discrimination than any other ungraded card. We strive to grade to published standards and accepted hobby norms. More than anything, we guarantee your satisfaction with a full, money-back guarantee -- something no grading company will do."

Again, there grading seems to be pretty accurate.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it, though I'm not a graded card collector. If someone says they should disclose they are their cards (if that's the case), I will agree with that point.

I should add that I'm not a graded card collector, and don't take as gospel the grade in the first place.

Last edited by drc; 06-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM
qu@n nguy3n

are the graded cards in penny sleeves? if not a NRMT card be dinged moving around in the top loader.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Patrick N.

Default Skeptical

Call me skeptical, slapping a guarantee on a box of crap doesn't make it not a piece of crap. What is this guy's qualifications/experience?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM

As long as the label says box of crap.

Last edited by drc; 06-07-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Call me skeptical, slapping a guarantee on a box of crap doesn't make it not a piece of crap.
Is this a Tommy Boy movie reference? If so, nicely done. Great movie! .

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well, that's...
Tommy, Richard Hayden: ...What?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
Is this a Tommy Boy movie reference? If so, nicely done. Great movie! .

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well, that's...
Tommy, Richard Hayden: ...What?
Funny stuff Michael

HA HA. I got you good you F^ck$r.

Thats what I hear when you can remove a card from a holder

Last edited by Pup6913; 06-08-2012 at 05:45 AM.