NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default A Gross of T206

Well, after taking home fifty plus T206 from the National (all but one from a very nice deal courtesy of Net 54's own Ted Zanidakis) I toted up all my cards and realized I have 144 of them, or just over a quarter of the set. I am finally starting to feel like the set is moving! Overall it is probably between G and VG but some of that is due to back damage. I'll have to upgrade a handful of cards as well someday.

I have not yet decided if I will go for the 518 or 520 (with Demmitt and O'Hara variations) card near set but anything from Magie north will not be happening for me unless I hit Lotto. I kind of like the idea of having the two Polar Bear St. Loo variations someday.

I am also trying to get one of each back, including series and factory variations in my set and have 22 out of the 35 non-proof backs so far. I guess Carolina Brights is the toughest back I have, next I may start looking for a Lenox; we'll see.

Who else out there is working on a T206 set?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Daryl

Default T206 - PSA 4 pursuit

I'm pursuing the T206 set in PSA 4 condition, alphabetically. I'm 18 months in, and I've only acquired 18. In my defense, if I go any faster, I would have a great collection a lot faster, but I wouldn't have a wife. I'd like to have both, so I'll keep my snail's pace.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Brandon Brown

I just re re re re (?) started my set and I am not going to be picky on condition at this point
Just going for the set minus the big four and I am at twenty three so far!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Dave,

I'm working on that obscure set as well. Started in 1998 and its been the best 13 years of my life. My goal is to finish before 2020, although, I must admit that I'm crossing my fingers that the world won't end in 2012.

If memory serves, you have a superb T206 Cobb red (with some paper loss on the back) that you purchased from me on eBay a few years back. I got that card from the family of the original owner and before selling it I had it entombed. I've always liked that card and was proud to be its second owner. I remember seeing it on this board in raw form, and that made my day. Anyways, good luck with your quest and live long and prosper.

By the way, does anybody on this board know how to read this thing???
mayan.jpg

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 08-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Barry Arnold

Default the monster

best of luck,Dave.
i,too, chose to leave Magie northward alone and tamed the Monster
a couple of years ago.
the journey,to paraphrase iggy, was indeed an absolute delight.
i still have a couple of backs and packs that i want to pick up-- and have a couple of forum buddies looking for the best deals known to man for me!!!
I do love my type collecting now and have around 130 or so different types from
1903-1936 and this,too, is an absolute delight.
I am working slowly toward reaching Leon's millionth type.

remember the dictum:
the Monster wants you to quit. Don't listen to it.
all the best,ole buddy
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 08-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Brian Marshall

I just started collecting T206 cards about two months ago, when I saw some in person for sale for the first time at a local mall show. I purchased a very beat up Orval Overall portrait, since he was a player I was very interested in and have been off purchasing cards since then.

I'm up to just north of 30 cards, mostly in very low grade condition, since those cards tell a story and a history that a high grade card doesn't tell. My current plan is to collect up to 470, which would not include the Southern League cards, but I suspect knowing myself that getting so close would encourage me to work on those as well.

This message board is a really great resource to learn more about the cards and the hobby while I add to my collection.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Danny Smith

I'm working on the monster and I'm about 280 cards in after 3 years. It has been fun as it was my gateway into vintage. I've got mostly commons and southern leaguers to go. A few hall of famers left but I've knocked out the majority of the major cards including magie and the two stl variations.
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)
Old 08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Tom A

About 10 years into my low-grade set (probably actively collected only about 4 of those years). Have 505, plan to stop at 518. Latest pickup was the Walter Johnson portrait about a month ago.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:18 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I'm seven years and 306 cards into my set. I'm working on a PSA 4 set minus Wagner, Plank, Doyle and Magie. Would like to get at least one of each back/series. I'm not really interested in the factory designations, but do want the different series variations within each brand.

Steve
Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Dave,

If memory serves, you have a superb T206 Cobb red (with some paper loss on the back) that you purchased from me on eBay a few years back. I got that card from the family of the original owner and before selling it I had it entombed. I've always liked that card and was proud to be its second owner. I remember seeing it on this board in raw form, and that made my day. Anyways, good luck with your quest and live long and prosper.

Lovely Day...
Iggy-Still have it, plus a few other I got from you along the way. I did crack it though....in fact, here it is pre-jailbreak:

Barry-Type collecting is also an alluring addiction!

Last edited by toppcat; 08-14-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Iggy-Still have it, plus a few other I got from you along the way. I did crack it though....in fact, here it is pre-jailbreak:
Dave, I purchased that Cobb in an eBay auction along with a scrapbook. I had exchanged some emails with the family of the original owner and they seemed so nice, which is why I'm partial to that T206 Cobb red card. The scrapbook contained a few T206's, W517's (including a Ruth), and a bunch of T218's (including a Jack Johnson). I still have all the cards except for the T206 Cobb. The reason the Cobb has back damage is because the daughter of the owner thought it was a good idea to try to remove the Cobb from the scrapbook . Luckily, once she saw what happened, a decision was made not to remove anything else. Okay, back to this great T206 thread...

Lovely Day...
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Default My set....

Well, the T206 set has really taken over most of my card collecting these days. I started on a T206 subset (New York Giants) about 3-4 years ago and once I completed that I decided to continue with the set. So I decided that it would be fun to collect American Beauty backs since I was able to acquire a couple for my sub set. Then, I started to get into other backs, then miscits, and then I made a huge trade to acquire the Demmit and OHara variations!

So, here I sit with 202 different cards in the T206 set and on my way to hopefully completing the set in the next 5 years, although I am in no rush!

I have really tried to collect a lot of different backs along the way. And, some of the highlights of my T206 collection are my Red Cobb from the "Skydash" collection, the Demmit and OHara variations, Lundgren (Chicago) with an EPDG back, and a tons oddities and miscuts.

Finally, almost all of my cards are raw, with the exception of the OHara and Demmit variations. Every card that I have bought I have cracked out and placed into a tobacco sleeve/top loader, and then placed into a binder. The cards look incredible raw and I couldn't imagine them any other way!

Below is the breakdown of my set:

American beauty 350 (framed)- 30
American beauty 350 (no framed)-2
American Beauty 460-1
Broadleaf 350-1
Cycle 350- 1
Drum- 1
EPDG-17
Hindu- 13
Lenox- 1
Piedmont- 81
Polar Bear- 4
Sweet Cap-35
Sovereign- 3
Old Mill- 8
Tolstoi- 3
Uzit- 1

Miscuts- a dozen or so!

Happy collecting!

Jeff
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Scott Levy

I'm aiming to put together a vg-ex or better raw set. I've got about 85% of the set done in any condition ... but if you exclude my P/G/VG 'fillers' I'm probably just short of about 60% complete. No rush though, it's been a lot of fun trying to piece a quality raw set together.

SGL

P.S. I always seem to have duplicates in raw P/G/VG as I upgrade, so feel free to shoot me a line if you're looking for some.