Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How do You Keep Track of Your Collection? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=125822)

mab 07-16-2010 06:35 PM

How do You Keep Track of Your Collection?

What do you use to inventory what you have, need, etc? I've always struggled with finding best (and easiest) method, from notebooks, to spreadsheets, to a simple database for keeping track. Would be interested in what you have found works well for you...

jb217676 07-16-2010 06:38 PM

Click on my link and you can see how I keep my cards organized!

HRBAKER 07-16-2010 07:17 PM

I basically keep mine in an Access database that is sortable by: Year, Set, Player, Price paid, seller, graded or non-graded, etc. I log them in as soon as I receive them and when I trade or sell (rare) I move them to another database.

Jeff,

Nince job with your site. ;)

bcbgcbrcb 07-16-2010 08:04 PM

Simple excel spreadsheet for me

Doug 07-16-2010 08:24 PM

I guess it depends on the type of collection you have. If you are working on a set (or sets) and they are graded PSA and SGC have the registries that you can use to keep track of your progress. If they aren't graded, I'm sure a simple spreadsheet would work.

Robextend 07-16-2010 10:00 PM

Pretty much same as Jeff, I keep everything on my ImageEvent site and graded card registries.

Rob

jb217676 07-16-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robextend (Post 823700)
Pretty much same as Jeff, I keep everything on my ImageEvent site and graded card registries.

Rob

I knew my fellow imageevent user would show up sometime on this thread!

mab 07-17-2010 05:54 AM

The image Event site seems very cool for a small collection, or your most impressive cards. I am just coming back to the hobby in earnest, and like to collect some sets as well as individual cards. In addition, I sometimes buy things in anticipation of using them in trade down the road. As a result, I tend to accumulate more than I would want to add to Image Event.

steve B 07-17-2010 06:16 AM

In the past I used a bunch of different written methods. Notebooks, 3x5 cards, 3x5 cards punched for a tiny binder, sheets of paper with the list of numbers I needed folded in the box. All of those had big problems, Mainly access when I needed it, plus I would often lose the list and have to start over.

Now I'm putting them into excel spreadsheets, just a simple grid, numbered along the side and top, like a big checklist. Cards I have are checked off with a lowercase h if it's vg or less, uppercase if it's in decent condition. Graded ones I put the number in the box. T206s I've switched to the superset list with the colors removed in the field. It's much nicer than the one I made.

I haven't quite figured out how to handle variations yet. Especially on certain modern sets where there are hundreds. (And I suspect I'm the only one looking for some of them.)

Steve B

Exhibitman 07-18-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 823673)
Simple excel spreadsheet for me

+1, though not so simple as there is lots of info to be input for each card.

smtjoy 07-19-2010 02:26 PM

90% of my collection is graded so VCP my collection works great and gives me up to date prices on all my groups and sets.