Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bogus Second Chance Offers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=82190)

Archive 09-05-2006 08:41 AM

Bogus Second Chance Offers

Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>I've now received two fake 2nd Chance offers from ebay in the last two weeks. This morning's was really lame - just an email from someone saying I was being offered a second chance under ebay's policy.<br /><br />The first one though was really good. It had all of the ebay screen replicated almost exactly, and sent to my email. I had to think about it to realize it was fake. Biggest clue was that there were several bidders ahead of me, a few from this board. I couldn't imagine they would have passed on it (it was the large lot of 25 T3's).<br /><br />The only other cue was that there was no button in the email that would allow me to "Buy it Now". I've had one legit 2nd Chance, and it seemed I remembered that there was a button right in the email that would have allowed me to purchase instantly. This one just told me to contact the seller and gave an email address.<br /><br />It also wasn't in the "My Messages" area of the My Ebay page, nor listed under the "Second Chance Offers". But dang - that was one good job as a fake, and if it weren't for the number of people ahead of me and the fact that I had rec'd a legit offer in the past so I had something to mentally compare to, I may have fallen for it.<br /><br />So.. beware. They are coming out of the weeds at this point.<br /><br />Joann

Archive 09-05-2006 08:51 AM

Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>If you receive the "second chance" offer in your "myebay" mail then it's a bonafide offer. I've received a few bonafide second offers and they were pretty good offers.

Archive 09-05-2006 09:09 AM

Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p><font color=blue>Like the "Judge" said, only reply to those if they appear in your "My eBay" mail section.</font><br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive 09-05-2006 09:29 AM

Posted By: <b>Martin Neal</b><p>In the last couple of weeks, I have received emails through my regular email carrier from people asking me if an item was still available. I have not sold anything on Ebay for 4-5 months. I'm not sure what this scam is trying to do. Anyway, I just send it along to spoof@Ebay.

Archive 09-05-2006 10:34 AM

Posted By: <b>Cat</b><p>If they are asking if an item is still available (I get this all the time), I THINK they are simply trying to get your e-mail address and then the SPAM bogus e-mails attempting to get money from you will start. The messages through the EBay system do not divulge your e-mail address, so they need to retrieve it through your response to their SPAM.<br /><br /><br><br>________________<br /><br /><a href="http://www.audiocomedy.net/soundboards/jacket.shtml" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.audiocomedy.net/soundboards/jacket.shtml</a>

Archive 09-05-2006 05:59 PM

Posted By: <b>BcD</b><p>it means you are bidding on decent quality cards!

Archive 09-06-2006 05:23 AM

Posted By: <b>Martin Neal</b><p>Ok, now if I could win a few!

Archive 09-06-2006 08:51 AM

Posted By: <b>Kenneth A. Cohen</b><p>Hey Martin. How have you been? I think the scam you describe is meant to induce you to log into your Ebay account through a link in the message and enable the scammer to obtain your password. Just another method of phishing. <br /><br />Would love to get together for a cup of coffee next time I'm down your way and check out your latest acquisitions. Best regards.<br /><br />Ken

Archive 09-06-2006 10:18 AM

Posted By: <b>Ray V</b><p>In addition to the bogus offers as stated above, twice in the past week my account has been frozen by ebay due to "unusual activity". I take this to mean that someone is trying to crack my password and once there are a certain number of wrong attempts, my user ID is frozen. I'm happy that ebay has this process in place to protect me, but it sure is a pain to go through the system and unfreeze my password, especially multiple times. I have never clicked on any phishing emails in the past, so I believe this is a random act.

Archive 09-09-2006 08:53 PM

Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>Wow, I thought I had seen it all on Second Chance Offers......today I got one offering to sell me a Wagner card....and the "seller" had converted the eBay listing into Italian!

Archive 09-10-2006 04:47 AM

Posted By: <b>Martin Neal</b><p>Hi Ken,<br /> Good to hear from you. Let me know when you are coming to town. It was a moment of weakness when I let that Cobb go. Also a buddy of mine has some decent E121s I have been trying to pry him away from. You might be interested in them. I think I need your email address again.<br />Martin