NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Default Bogus Second Chance Offers

Posted By: Joann

I've now received two fake 2nd Chance offers from ebay in the last two weeks. This morning's was really lame - just an email from someone saying I was being offered a second chance under ebay's policy.

The first one though was really good. It had all of the ebay screen replicated almost exactly, and sent to my email. I had to think about it to realize it was fake. Biggest clue was that there were several bidders ahead of me, a few from this board. I couldn't imagine they would have passed on it (it was the large lot of 25 T3's).

The only other cue was that there was no button in the email that would allow me to "Buy it Now". I've had one legit 2nd Chance, and it seemed I remembered that there was a button right in the email that would have allowed me to purchase instantly. This one just told me to contact the seller and gave an email address.

It also wasn't in the "My Messages" area of the My Ebay page, nor listed under the "Second Chance Offers". But dang - that was one good job as a fake, and if it weren't for the number of people ahead of me and the fact that I had rec'd a legit offer in the past so I had something to mentally compare to, I may have fallen for it.

So.. beware. They are coming out of the weeds at this point.

Joann

Old 09-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

If you receive the "second chance" offer in your "myebay" mail then it's a bonafide offer. I've received a few bonafide second offers and they were pretty good offers.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Like the "Judge" said, only reply to those if they appear in your "My eBay" mail section.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

In the last couple of weeks, I have received emails through my regular email carrier from people asking me if an item was still available. I have not sold anything on Ebay for 4-5 months. I'm not sure what this scam is trying to do. Anyway, I just send it along to spoof@Ebay.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

If they are asking if an item is still available (I get this all the time), I THINK they are simply trying to get your e-mail address and then the SPAM bogus e-mails attempting to get money from you will start. The messages through the EBay system do not divulge your e-mail address, so they need to retrieve it through your response to their SPAM.

http://www.audiocomedy.net/soundboards/jacket.shtml

Old 09-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

it means you are bidding on decent quality cards!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Ok, now if I could win a few!

Old 09-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Hey Martin. How have you been? I think the scam you describe is meant to induce you to log into your Ebay account through a link in the message and enable the scammer to obtain your password. Just another method of phishing.

Would love to get together for a cup of coffee next time I'm down your way and check out your latest acquisitions. Best regards.

Ken

Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray V

In addition to the bogus offers as stated above, twice in the past week my account has been frozen by ebay due to "unusual activity". I take this to mean that someone is trying to crack my password and once there are a certain number of wrong attempts, my user ID is frozen. I'm happy that ebay has this process in place to protect me, but it sure is a pain to go through the system and unfreeze my password, especially multiple times. I have never clicked on any phishing emails in the past, so I believe this is a random act.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Wow, I thought I had seen it all on Second Chance Offers......today I got one offering to sell me a Wagner card....and the "seller" had converted the eBay listing into Italian!

Old 09-10-2006, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Hi Ken,
Good to hear from you. Let me know when you are coming to town. It was a moment of weakness when I let that Cobb go. Also a buddy of mine has some decent E121s I have been trying to pry him away from. You might be interested in them. I think I need your email address again.
Martin