Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Roy Campanella Scoreboard Baseballs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=151644)

Tuna82 05-26-2012 10:03 AM

Roy Campanella Scoreboard Baseballs

Anybody know anything about these? I have seen multiple with notarized COAs. I know the autos are essentially scribble due to being post accident but should I worry about authenticity if the ball is indeed the one that originally went with the COA. Generally I have avoided Scoreboard COAs due to the ease of reproduction unless I was very knowledgeable about the autograph and did not care about the paperwork. Any insight would be appreciated.

jgmp123 05-26-2012 10:24 AM

you have a photo? can't really tell you one way or the other without a picture..

COA's are not the end all be all of authenticity as just about any post on this site will tell you.

Fuddjcal 05-26-2012 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The balls you speak of look like this....

look at the top of this ball? Does it look funny to you? It should!!!!

The Rawlings stamp is on top on ALL these Campanella signed balls. The Rawlings insignia should be on the right or sometimes left of the sweet spot, so this ball was manufactured out of place especially for Campanella to sign.

They sent him the "sweet spot raw hide" only and he scribbled accordingly.
Then, after he signed them all, they stitched the ball using the piece he signed. The Rawlings insignia was on top. These are the only balls I've seen this way.

Towards the end of his life when I would see him at the games, he signed for a couple of my friends. I was an idiot and never had him sign, seeing him 15-20 games a year on the old club level at Dodger Stadium. He had his own spot behind home plate for his wheel chair and 1 seat for his wife. Didn't care about autographs much back then. Shaking the mans hand was enough for me. He actually signed pretty well towards the end of his life. He used some kind of a brace. Anyway, if it looks like mine posted here, its gold!

Tuna82 05-26-2012 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am very aware what COAs are and aren't. I have a "good" COA to go along with a bad autograph in my collection right now unfortunately. I was more asking if anyone had info of Campanella actually signing for Goldin/Scoreboard. Here is the only pic I have so far. Thanks

Tuna82 05-26-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 997462)
The balls you speak of look like this....

look at the top of this ball? Does it look funny to you? It should!!!!

The Rawlings stamp is on top on ALL these Campanella signed balls. The Rawlings insignia should be on the right or sometimes left of the sweet spot, so this ball was manufactured out of place especially for Campanella to sign.

Then, after he signed them all, they stitched the ball using the piece he signed. The Rawlings insignia was on top. These are the only balls I've seen this way.

Towards the end of his life when I would see him at the games, he signed for a couple of my friends. I was an idiot and never had him sign, seeing him 15-20 games a year on the old club level at Dodger Stadium. He had his own spot behind home plate for his wheel chair and 1 seat for his wife. Didn't care about autographs much back then. Shaking the mans hand was enough for me. He actually signed pretty well towards the end of his life. He used some kind of a brace. Anyway, if it looks like mine posted here, its gold!

Thanks alot! Thats what I needed to know.

Fuddjcal 05-26-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuna82 (Post 997463)
I am very aware what COAs are and aren't. I have a "good" COA to go along with a bad autograph in my collection right now unfortunately. I was more asking if anyone had info of Campanella actually signing for Goldin/Scoreboard. Here is the only pic I have so far. Thanks

Thats 100% authentic and with the original case and labels!!!!!!It makes no difference who certs that ball.....It's a winner. Depending on condition, they should sell between $300-$700. Of course, mine is MINT!!!!

Tuna82 05-26-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 997466)
Thats 100% authentic and with the original case and labels!!!!!!It makes no difference who certs that ball.....It's a winner. Depending on condition, they should sell between $300-$700. Of course, mine is MINT!!!!

I sincerely appreciate the help.

toyman55 05-26-2012 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is This one real?

thecatspajamas 05-26-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 997462)

Even post-accident, I think Campanella still signed more legibly than most modern-day players :D

Fuddjcal 05-27-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyman55 (Post 997505)
Is This one real?

once again, the rawlings insignia on top and the "cushioned cork center" on the bottom, tell me it's the manufactured ball used for Campanella to sign. I have found no other ball stitched up like these. (backwards) They were sold with the plastic case, and gold glove holder with 2-labels that you would affix...as seen in your picture. 1 says Roy Campanella and the other 1969 HOF Inductee.....IMHO, yours is real.

RichardSimon 05-27-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 997522)
Even post-accident, I think Campanella still signed more legibly than most modern-day players :D

If you think modern day players are bad you should see modern day movie stars.

Gary Dunaier 05-27-2012 09:47 PM

Slightly off topic, but contextually relevant (I hope)... I've heard that when Campanella did sign post-accident autographs, he needed some kind of device to help him. What kind of a device was used, does anyone have a picture of it (not necessarily the actual one "Campy" used)?

mr2686 05-27-2012 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have a picture, but it wasn't so much of a device as it was a brace. It helped him from shaking so that he could move his wrist and fingers to sign. That's why the Roy usually looks surprisingly good and the the Campanella gets a bit ragged because he's stretching his hand to complete the auto. Here's my in person auto from 1989.

Tuna82 05-31-2012 06:40 PM

Well here's why I asked...

5 Attachment(s)
This came in the mail today. I know its not mint but it appears to me (feel free to chime in) to be legit and I am very happy with what I paid for it...Thanks to all of you for the help.