NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Default Roy Campanella Scoreboard Baseballs

Anybody know anything about these? I have seen multiple with notarized COAs. I know the autos are essentially scribble due to being post accident but should I worry about authenticity if the ball is indeed the one that originally went with the COA. Generally I have avoided Scoreboard COAs due to the ease of reproduction unless I was very knowledgeable about the autograph and did not care about the paperwork. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by Tuna82; 05-26-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

you have a photo? can't really tell you one way or the other without a picture..

COA's are not the end all be all of authenticity as just about any post on this site will tell you.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Chuck Tapia

The balls you speak of look like this....

look at the top of this ball? Does it look funny to you? It should!!!!

The Rawlings stamp is on top on ALL these Campanella signed balls. The Rawlings insignia should be on the right or sometimes left of the sweet spot, so this ball was manufactured out of place especially for Campanella to sign.

They sent him the "sweet spot raw hide" only and he scribbled accordingly.
Then, after he signed them all, they stitched the ball using the piece he signed. The Rawlings insignia was on top. These are the only balls I've seen this way.

Towards the end of his life when I would see him at the games, he signed for a couple of my friends. I was an idiot and never had him sign, seeing him 15-20 games a year on the old club level at Dodger Stadium. He had his own spot behind home plate for his wheel chair and 1 seat for his wife. Didn't care about autographs much back then. Shaking the mans hand was enough for me. He actually signed pretty well towards the end of his life. He used some kind of a brace. Anyway, if it looks like mine posted here, its gold!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy Campanella.jpg (70.4 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Roy Campanella 3.jpg (67.0 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:11 AM

I am very aware what COAs are and aren't. I have a "good" COA to go along with a bad autograph in my collection right now unfortunately. I was more asking if anyone had info of Campanella actually signing for Goldin/Scoreboard. Here is the only pic I have so far. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqR,!n4E8Vih4SMgBPNd7dpZTg~~60_12.JPG (35.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
The balls you speak of look like this....

look at the top of this ball? Does it look funny to you? It should!!!!

The Rawlings stamp is on top on ALL these Campanella signed balls. The Rawlings insignia should be on the right or sometimes left of the sweet spot, so this ball was manufactured out of place especially for Campanella to sign.

Then, after he signed them all, they stitched the ball using the piece he signed. The Rawlings insignia was on top. These are the only balls I've seen this way.

Towards the end of his life when I would see him at the games, he signed for a couple of my friends. I was an idiot and never had him sign, seeing him 15-20 games a year on the old club level at Dodger Stadium. He had his own spot behind home plate for his wheel chair and 1 seat for his wife. Didn't care about autographs much back then. Shaking the mans hand was enough for me. He actually signed pretty well towards the end of his life. He used some kind of a brace. Anyway, if it looks like mine posted here, its gold!

Thanks alot! Thats what I needed to know.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna82 View Post
I am very aware what COAs are and aren't. I have a "good" COA to go along with a bad autograph in my collection right now unfortunately. I was more asking if anyone had info of Campanella actually signing for Goldin/Scoreboard. Here is the only pic I have so far. Thanks
Thats 100% authentic and with the original case and labels!!!!!!It makes no difference who certs that ball.....It's a winner. Depending on condition, they should sell between $300-$700. Of course, mine is MINT!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Thats 100% authentic and with the original case and labels!!!!!!It makes no difference who certs that ball.....It's a winner. Depending on condition, they should sell between $300-$700. Of course, mine is MINT!!!!
I sincerely appreciate the help.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Shale Levine

Is This one real?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roy c.jpg (69.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Even post-accident, I think Campanella still signed more legibly than most modern-day players
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
Is This one real?
once again, the rawlings insignia on top and the "cushioned cork center" on the bottom, tell me it's the manufactured ball used for Campanella to sign. I have found no other ball stitched up like these. (backwards) They were sold with the plastic case, and gold glove holder with 2-labels that you would affix...as seen in your picture. 1 says Roy Campanella and the other 1969 HOF Inductee.....IMHO, yours is real.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Even post-accident, I think Campanella still signed more legibly than most modern-day players
If you think modern day players are bad you should see modern day movie stars.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Slightly off topic, but contextually relevant (I hope)... I've heard that when Campanella did sign post-accident autographs, he needed some kind of device to help him. What kind of a device was used, does anyone have a picture of it (not necessarily the actual one "Campy" used)?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I don't have a picture, but it wasn't so much of a device as it was a brace. It helped him from shaking so that he could move his wrist and fingers to sign. That's why the Roy usually looks surprisingly good and the the Campanella gets a bit ragged because he's stretching his hand to complete the auto. Here's my in person auto from 1989.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campanella.jpg (28.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 PM

Default Well here's why I asked...

This came in the mail today. I know its not mint but it appears to me (feel free to chime in) to be legit and I am very happy with what I paid for it...Thanks to all of you for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campy1.jpg (58.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg campy2.jpg (55.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg campy3.jpg (57.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg campy4.jpg (64.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg campy5.jpg (69.5 KB, 65 views)