Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1914 White Sox Giants autograph book from ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158589)

baseballart 11-05-2012 02:12 PM

1914 White Sox Giants autograph book from ebay

Pretty cool looking item

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag...t/AJS1025w.JPG

1914 White Sox Giants autograph book

Thorpe, Comiskey, Weaver, McGraw, etc

daves_resale_shop 11-05-2012 02:21 PM

Notebook

Definitely some toughies... Thorpe looks funny, an interesting to see spoke among the chisox players. Probably worth well over 4k if teal

joed25 11-05-2012 02:58 PM

I actually bid on that piece and lost. I think it's a museam quality piece of baseball history. Iv never seen a Jim Thorpe where he printed his name like this but most Thorpe autos I'v seen were signed much later. If he signed this one in 1913 he would have been about 25. He was on the trip with his new wife (a Honeymoon). Wonder what it's worth if all signatures are authentic. Also has some other rare autographs like Bucky Weaver.

joed25 11-05-2012 03:17 PM

It was from the World Tour of 1913-1914. Giants and White Sox went around the world together to show the world baseball. They even played in front of King George in England. Tris Speaker also went with them.

Scott Garner 11-05-2012 04:36 PM

1914 Tour of the World book

I bid on this as well. I think that it is an extremely cool item. My interest was that it also had several challenging early no-hit pitcher autographs that I would love to own.

Oh well, someone ended up scoring a terrific collectible that could certainly be considered to be a centerpiece type item. :)

Did anyone on net54 win this? Just curious...

bender07 11-05-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed25 (Post 1050406)
It was from the World Tour of 1913-1914. Giants and White Sox went around the world together to show the world baseball. They even played in front of King George in England. Tris Speaker also went with them.

Cool info. Why was Crawford on the Chicago sheet?

packs 11-05-2012 04:46 PM

The teams were just called Chicago and New York. Players throughout the league played for both at one time or another during the tour. I bid on the item too. I was a little skeptical about some of the signatures though. But figured if one was real they were all likely real.

Scott Garner 11-05-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1050425)
The teams were just called Chicago and New York. Players throughout the league played for both at one time or another during the tour. I bid on the item too. I was a little skeptical about some of the signatures though. But figured if one was real they were all likely real.

Who's autograph did you question, just out of curiousity?

prewarsports 11-05-2012 07:16 PM

Well I bid up to 4k++ and still lost. My guess is had I bid 10K I would have still lost.

All were legit from my point of view, but I think the Thorpe might have been signed by someone else for him (maybe he was seasick on the boat) but his signature actually pales in comparison to some of the others so it didn't matter whether his was real or not. I have seen many early examples of Thorpe and he had a nice scripted signature his whole life so unless he was drunk or seasick when he signed it, I think that one was secretarial.

Neat piece though, not a single autograph on there is unique, but some definate rarities.

Rhys

packs 11-05-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1050471)
Who's autograph did you question, just out of curiousity?

The Thorpe, Crawford, and Speaker looked funny to me but I am by no means an expert.

JimStinson 11-06-2012 06:28 AM

JimStinson

That is a VERY nice book !!! Although I am no fan of cutting something like that up , there are at least a couple Non-Hall of fame signatures that would have easily covered the selling price. Nice Snag ! Who ever you are