Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Selling collection..looking for dealer.. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=203414)

poorlydrawncat 03-27-2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1395244)
Whether he intended to or not, he did.

And it's not the first time either...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146858

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181886

Honestly it's this kind of pettiness that keeps me away from the boards and collecting in general. So the guy decides not to sell his stuff after offering it for sale. I get why it might make you wary of doing business with him in the future, but seriously why make a big issue out of it like this is all super serious business?

There are so few people in this hobby to begin with and the ranks are thinning. You'd think there'd be more of a sense of understanding and community but it seems like every thread, regardless of what it's about, devolves into some sort of petty dispute over something immensely inconsequential. As a younger member of the hobby who hangs out on the fringes, it's a huge turnoff.

With such a small community we should be looking out for one another. I'd be more concerned if someone sold something and regretted it than if they offered something for sale and subsequently withdrew it. I would never want to buy a card from someone who regretted selling it to me and wanted it back in their collection. And if it wastes my time or costs me a few postage stamps so be it. It's a small price to pay in order to preserve the sense of community and friendliness that as a kid brought me back to the card store week after week.

4815162342 03-27-2015 08:21 PM

This reminds me of that lesser known Aesop fable: The Man Who Cried "Cards For Sale".

familytoad 03-28-2015 08:58 AM

No waste

Great post, Brenden and great counterpoint Fred. (+others)

Some of us who waste time on chat boards know how to ignore , overlook and avoid drama if we want to. What harm does a post about old baseball cards maybe being for sale, or maybe not being for sale do? I didn't forcibly waste my time and I regretfully read the whole thing:cool:

It's not the OP (Ralph) who spun this thread out of focus into yet another diatribe and non-topic feud. It certainly could have remained more civil with posts wishing Ralph the best with his decision. (Hi Ralph, glad you are keeping the cards!)

Maybe the post counts turned the thread into a "must-read" , but it didn't have to be filled with such attacks. The posts that didn't involve donuts generally were caustic. We can do better as a group.

That doesn't mean that topics of concern or harm to the hobbyists (I mean the hobby *dollars* of course) aren't worthy of negative or constructive commentary.

It's really not hard to see the topics and threads that are harmless...(and treat them as such) if you try.

vintagetoppsguy 03-28-2015 09:25 AM

I can't believe some people are sticking up for this guy. :confused:

Do you seriously think it's okay to list items for sale, post pictures and prices, and then withdraw the items...multiple times???

In my world, that's considered flakey.

Edited to add: Even by his own admission, he wasted the time of "dozens and dozens of collectors/ dealers/buys/auctioneers". You justify that???

GoldenAge50s 03-28-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1395439)
I can't believe some people are sticking up for this guy. :confused:

Do you seriously think it's okay to list items for sale, post pictures and prices, and then withdraw the items...multiple times???

In my world, that's considered flakey.

David--

Please explain "what harm has it done"?

wolf441 03-28-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s (Post 1395441)
David--

+1. Other than some wasted time.....Which is one of the main reasons some of us frequent Net54, to take a break from the "real world".

Why do you want to roast a guy because he had a change of heart about selling his collection? Something many of us that love the hobby can understand. The OP didn't contribute the majority of the posts either, we took this thread in a bunch of directions (including donuts....eeeemmmm donuts....).

Everything doesn't have to revolve around constantly consummating deals. This isn't heart surgery...

Best,

Steve ;)

vintagetoppsguy 03-28-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s (Post 1395441)
David--

This is a two part answer. To the OP, he's probably harmed his credibility and integrity for future sales. To the 'dozens and dozens" of people that were interested and made offers, it wasted their time.

vintagetoppsguy 03-28-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf441 (Post 1395446)
Why do you want to roast a guy because he had a change of heart about selling his collection?

I don't want to roast him, but I do want to call him out because this IS NOT the first time he's done it. What don't you get about that?

1952boyntoncollector 03-28-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1393845)
there are like 5 or 6 stages when trying to sell a collection...it like losing a loved one...

1. first you think when try to sell it suddenly there will be ZERO market out there and you don't want to get stuck holding the bag

2. then you just hope to get something, and are happy when you start to get offers in

3. Then suddenly it hits you, maybe you maximize what you can get and realize you don't have to sell immediately

4. Then you start to think about missing the cards and now that you know they have value you start second guessing

5 Then you really not attempt to sell your cards anymore unless you get a unrealistic BIN price you see on ebay

6. Go back to 1..

Should of just read my rules and we knew he would go to step one and no ones time is wasted.......I know he says he will keep the cards. but if someone offered him 50k I don't think he would of had the same change of heart :)

PM770 03-30-2015 08:07 AM

David, I appreciate the all contributions you've made to the forum over the years. But do you realize you have made 5 posts to this thread since your "Big -1" for the "waste of time".

You are coming off as petty and you are better than this.

Learn to duck sometimes.

vintagetoppsguy 03-30-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PM770 (Post 1396104)
David, I appreciate the all contributions you've made to the forum over the years. But do you realize you have made 5 posts to this thread since your "Big -1" for the "waste of time".

You are coming off as petty and you are better than this.

Learn to duck sometimes.

Now make it 6 posts. I don't consider posting items for sale, listing prices and scans, and then withdrawing your items as petty.

Once? Ok, he gets a pass.

Multiple times? Not petty at all.

If you consider that petty, so be it. That's your opinion. But I'm entitled to my opinion as well. Some folks agreed with you, but some folks agreed with me too. I thought it was over two days ago. I don't see the need to revive the thread two days later to tell me what somebody else has already said.. :confused:

1952boyntoncollector 03-30-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1396117)
Now make it 6 posts. I don't consider posting items for sale, listing prices and scans, and then withdrawing your items as petty.

Once? Ok, he gets a pass.

Multiple times? Not petty at all.

If you consider that petty, so be it. That's your opinion. But I'm entitled to my opinion as well. Some folks agreed with you, but some folks agreed with me too. I thought it was over two days ago. I don't see the need to revive the thread two days later to tell me what somebody else has already said.. :confused:

If I saw a guy starting a thread that I know always backs on cards he says initially he wants to sell, I wouldn't open the thread and just ignore it......next time he open a thread just ignore him..even though it could be the one time he actually does a deal ( I don't have an opinion on the guy either way, just talking generally)

hangman62 03-30-2015 09:09 AM

selling

What is the big deal with you haters ! its only baseball cards...lower grade at that ! Its not a major auction house pulling back the Holy Grail T 206 Wagner now

I considered selling..then I changed my mind...what is the harm in that ?

After rethinking..the cards meant too much to me..why do some people have a problem with this ?

People change their mind about buying /selling/bidding all the time

Whats all this nonsense about " wasting our time" ??

Some guys are on the Net54 16 times a day !..apparently they have the time, worse case...don't look..or don't respond if its " too much wasted time"

Whats all this " lack of credibility " stuff ?..Ive sold tons of stuff on Net54..and bought tons of stuff too

Its not that Im pulling a " bait and switch " on anyone..I changed my mind about selling my stuff...and to be honest...the people who were interested and PM'ed me had NO PROBLEM that I changed my mind

and the one guy ( David ? ) makes me laugh..within 2 minutes..he had copys of posts I made 2 yrs ago !...what are you doing ? saving everyones posts on your hard drive...for quick rebuttal ?...Dude really ?..its not that big a deal

If I decide to sell some stuff tomorrow...I will post it..if anyone..all of a sudden " doesn't trust me" then don't buy my stuff, I don't care

Ralph G

Rich Klein 03-30-2015 09:18 AM

people can search on your past posts and when they do, they can see this is a pattern of behavior.

Nothing nefarious on their part

We all understand the mixed emotions about selling items so it's OK to waffle. But since you appear to do this regularly, being called out is also perfectly fine.

Rich

vintagetoppsguy 03-30-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1396128)
and the one guy ( David ? ) makes me laugh..within 2 minutes..he had copys of posts I made 2 yrs ago !...what are you doing ? saving everyones posts on your hard drive...for quick rebuttal ?...Dude really ?..its not that big a deal

No, I don't save posts on my hard drive. The Mays and Gehrig incident left me with a really bad impression of you...so much so, that I still remembered the thread two years later. To some, maybe it's petty. But they're looking at it from a different point of view. They read your threads and it's just entertainment for them. For me, I had skin in the game. I was a serious buyer. However, you weren't a serious seller. You just wanted to yank some chains.

PM770 03-30-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1396117)
I thought it was over two days ago.

I have to apologize on this. I wasn't around for a couple days and when I'm not I'll typically look at all the threads I've missed when I have time (like this morning). I didn't realize the thread had gone stale and I should have.

hangman62 03-30-2015 05:38 PM

selling

David,
Why are you making this out to be more then it is.

I decided not to sell my stuff and that's all it is

and stop that you had a " skin in this game " LOL !

I never even spoke to you , your not a serious buyer..your a serious S**T stirrer

Ralph G

vintagetoppsguy 03-30-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1396298)
David,
Why are you making this out to be more then it is.

I decided not to sell my stuff and that's all it is

and stop that you had a " skin in this game " LOL !

I never even spoke to you , your not a serious buyer..your a serious S**T stirrer

Ralph G

I wasn't talking about this recent post. I was talking about when you posted the Mays and Gehrig for sale. I made you offers (posted within the thread that I linked - they're right there for all to see), I also sent you PMs. Yes, I was a serious buyer for the Mays and Gehrig at the time. You were not a serious seller.

Rich Klein 03-30-2015 06:40 PM

He sent me this email

"Go search in your hard drive and show me how it appears I " do this regularly" ???

DO what ?, I had a change of heart about selling my collection...what is the problem ? the cards mean too much to me and I changed my mind .

Where is the harm ? Where is the obscene waste of time ? I just don't see it ?"

Look, we all understand that you feel conflcted about selling your items. At times, you say, I have a great collection but it's time to move on. Then when the offers come, you pull back (This is now the second public time and who knows if there are private times)

It's OK to feel conflcted, we all have felt that way. The only thing I say is that it's a matter of repeated behavior and as such, you were called out on that.

When I became a full-time dealer for a spell in the mid 1980's I felt the same way but once I broke the collection, everything was fair game. You have the same reservations and that is fine. But, if you don't want to sell, no biggie -- its just when it will be time for you to sell, it will just be that much harder to take the sellng offer seriously

Regards
Rich

hangman62 03-30-2015 07:31 PM

selling

Rich
What are you talking about " when the offers come " I pulled the stuff back ?? WHAT OFFERS ? !

It never even got that far, you have no idea what your talking about ?

I had dozens of guys interested in the collection..and all of them let me know if and when I decide to sell..they will be there

Why are you painting this " your gonna be in trouble if you try and sell stuff ever again " ! STOP ..your delirious !

I will have no problems selling or buying on Net54 in the future

Ralph G

vintagetoppsguy 03-30-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1396352)
Rich
What are you talking about " when the offers come " I pulled the stuff back ?? WHAT OFFERS ? !

It never even got that far, you have no idea what your talking about ?

You never even got that far? You said yourself you had "dozens and dozens of" offers. Here is your own quote...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1395163)
offers from dozens and dozens of collectors/ dealers/buys/auctioneers,etc...

Dude, you're a nut job!

hangman62 03-30-2015 08:21 PM

seller

David
I think I mentioned this before -
Shut Your Pie Hole !

vintagetoppsguy 03-30-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1396381)
David
I think I mentioned this before -
Shut Your Pie Hole !

I think I'll take your advice. I'm done with this thread. One obviously can't win an argument with a nut job.

JasonD08 03-30-2015 08:46 PM

It is apparent that Ralph had no real offers here. I may rib Sean (deservingly so) a bit here and there, but Sean is much smarter than to offer $24K for what was shown. My guess no real interest made so he "changed his mind". Ralph if this is not true and I am wrong you should have taken the $$ and ran because north of $20K it isn't worth dealing with. I would have offered $15K realistically. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind, however, it is America and possession in this case is 10/10ths of the law. Good luck with the nice run of sets.

Jason

ZachS 03-30-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1396377)

Dude, you're a nut job!

http://mickeyfix.com/wp-content/uplo...ck-Closeup.jpg

jcmtiger 03-30-2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1396128)
What is the big deal with you haters ! its only baseball cards...lower grade at that ! Its not a major auction house pulling back the Holy Grail T 206 Wagner now

I considered selling..then I changed my mind...what is the harm in that ?

After rethinking..the cards meant too much to me..why do some people have a problem with this ?

People change their mind about buying /selling/bidding all the time

Whats all this nonsense about " wasting our time" ??

Some guys are on the Net54 16 times a day !..apparently they have the time, worse case...don't look..or don't respond if its " too much wasted time"

Whats all this " lack of credibility " stuff ?..Ive sold tons of stuff on Net54..and bought tons of stuff too

Its not that Im pulling a " bait and switch " on anyone..I changed my mind about selling my stuff...and to be honest...the people who were interested and PM'ed me had NO PROBLEM that I changed my mind

If I decide to sell some stuff tomorrow...I will post it..if anyone..all of a sudden " doesn't trust me" then don't buy my stuff, I don't care

Ralph G

Next time go to BST maybe?

Joe

jcmtiger 03-30-2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1396132)
No, I don't save posts on my hard drive. The Mays and Gehrig incident left me with a really bad impression of you...so much so, that I still remembered the thread two years later. To some, maybe it's petty. But they're looking at it from a different point of view. They read your threads and it's just entertainment for them. For me, I had skin in the game. I was a serious buyer. However, you weren't a serious seller. You just wanted to yank some chains.

David, agree, we collectors do remember bad deals, took me 10 years to resolve one.

Joe

hangman62 03-31-2015 06:27 AM

selling

Joe
What " bad deal" are you referring too ?

There was no BAD DEAL anywhere ..In that thread 2 yrs ago ?...Go read it and tell me what was the " bad deal" ?

Rich Klein 03-31-2015 07:10 AM

He might not be thinking of a bad deal with you, just a bad deal he had in general.

Rich

bbcard1 03-31-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonD08 (Post 1396390)
It is apparent that Ralph had no real offers here. I may rib Sean (deservingly so) a bit here and there, but Sean is much smarter than to offer $24K for what was shown. My guess no real interest made so he "changed his mind". Ralph if this is not true and I am wrong you should have taken the $$ and ran because north of $20K it isn't worth dealing with. I would have offered $15K realistically. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind, however, it is America and possession in this case is 10/10ths of the law. Good luck with the nice run of sets.

Jason

Though my temptation is to let this thread die a most deserving death, I can assure you the seller had legitimate offers. Also if anyone will read the original post, the things that were shown were not everything in the collection, just a sampling, albeit most of the meat. I am sure the original seller had a change of heart and I completely understand. I often consider "thinning the herd" right before buying a new lot of precisely what I was considering selling.

jcmtiger 03-31-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1396442)
Joe
What " bad deal" are you referring too ?

There was no BAD DEAL anywhere ..In that thread 2 yrs ago ?...Go read it and tell me what was the " bad deal" ?

The bad deal was not with you. It was with someone else. Just an example of collectors remembering bad deals for a long time.

Joe

bobbyw8469 03-05-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

I will have no problems selling or buying on Net54 in the future

Ralph G
Uhhh.......yes....yes you do.

bnorth 03-05-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1754329)
Uhhh.......yes....yes you do.

WOW Robert you bumped a 3 year old post to be a jerk to someone who can't even defend themselves. NICE!:rolleyes:

bobbyw8469 03-05-2018 04:56 PM

My apologies...I think the "jerk" tag is wrongfully applied to me though, and should belong on another....

JollyElm 03-05-2018 05:31 PM

When/why did Ral G get booted???

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-05-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1754392)
When/why did Ral G get booted???

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251969

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2018 06:05 PM

He questioned whether the Adat Chaverim show belonged on the first page. Never a wise move.

Leon 03-05-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1754410)
He questioned whether the Adat Chaverim show belonged on the first page. Never a wise move.

Wrong, however that might have been the final straw. He posted incorrectly in the live auction section and when it was moved started posting all over the place, being pissed off and questioning threads and reasoning. This wasn't his first rodeo either. Had he questioned it differently he wouldn't have gotten booted. You may want to babysit I don't. And Robert shouldn't have bumped this thread as there is a rule concerning saying things about folks who can't defend themselves. It is not allowed and this thread is being locked.