PDA

View Full Version : What would you do???

D.P.Johnson
01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Let's say you had the only known example of a card (no other similar cards graded by PSA, SGC, or BVG) and it was currently entombed inside an SGC holder. The card is slipping around inside the holder and you want to have it reslabbed by another company because you don't trust that SGC would do a better job the second time around. Would you send the card to PSA or BVG??? If so, once the card was reslabbed, wouldn't it look like there are now two known examples of this card and possibly bring the value of the card down??? How would you handle this situation??? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cozumeleno
01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
My guess is that something that rare wouldn't drag the value down if it showed only two examples. Even so, you could always just point to the fact that you accounted for both of those if you were going to sell it, etc.

I've found plenty of inconsistencies with PSA, but I'd go with them over BVG if those were the two options. Bigger reputation and would probably sell easier (all other things considered equal) IMO if you decided to move it.

Luke
01-21-2015, 12:14 PM
If I see a pre-war card in a BVG holder, I wonder why it isn't in a PSA or SGC holder. I've seen quite a few BVG 4s that have previously been in SGC or PSA 1.5 through 2.5 holders. Just my stance/opinion.

Jobu
01-21-2015, 12:20 PM
BVG holders also have that plastic layer inside the holder to help secure the card - looks great in hand but makes a good scan/photo really difficult. Something to consider if you are thinking of selling at some point.

Have you tried contacting SGC? Maybe they would work with you to get a better-fitting gasket made - then you wouldn't have to worry about pop reports.

vintagetoppsguy
01-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Have you tried contacting SGC? Maybe they would work with you to get a better-fitting gasket made - then you wouldn't have to worry about pop reports.

I agree with this. However, if you do send it in to PSA for a cross-over, couldn't you ask them to return the SGC flip?

D.P.Johnson
01-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the responses gentlemen; I appreciate it. I understand some folks hesitancy to use BVG based on resale value; personal preference, past grading practices, etc...I also understand (based on a PM), that most grading companies will return the broken slab and/or label as David mentioned. The label could then be returned to SGC and they could be asked to remove the card from there database. It's an option I suppose...

EvilKing00
01-21-2015, 12:33 PM
I would call sgc as well and see if they can do a better job

vthobby
01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Some great points on here. I agree/disagree with some however. If it is one of a kind, I don't think it matters what holder it is in. BVG is clearly the best for securing and presenting, PSA for most likely the best $$$ down the road (but then again if its a one of one it does not matter does it?). You can also tell folks the story of reslabbing as someone mentioned so as to not skew the pop repsorts.

IMO Beckett clearly has the BEST holders but I totally understand the value aspect and the Set Registry aspects of all 3 companies.

SGC is a great and consistent company in terms of grading but if you plead ignorance about thier issues with thier gaskets then you have been on the moon the last few years.

Some companies clearly market themselves better (whether they are better or not is not my point).

Peace, Mike

iwantitiwinit
01-21-2015, 03:01 PM
It's just amazing to me that complaints about SGC holders continue to mount and nothing is done about it. I actually won 2 T206 cards in the recent Saco River Auctions and received them yesterday. Guess what, one card had slipped completely out of the gasket.

SGC you need to do something about these constant issues and no its not in anyway convenient for me to ship the card back to you to repair something that should have been done correctly to start with. These holders suck and we don't need more replies from SGC saying that they are working on the problem or that we can always have them reholdered. We need redesigned holders and I'm not going to buy another SGC graded card until the holders are changed. If others do the same maybe SGC will take real action.

Should I start another thread where others that agree can voice their dis-satisfaction?

Clutch-Hitter
01-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Crack it, keep the flip and send it to PSA. Keep a scan of the card in the SGC holder and when you scan it the PSA holder, include the SGC flip.

Since the card is as rare as you say, and if you were to choose Beckett, it's very possible they would deem it fake due to lack of experience with that issue.

BTW, I'm not sure if PSA would return your SGC flip.

Maybe we should start a thread showing flips from cracked slabs for more accurate reports?

packs
01-22-2015, 07:10 AM
I know BVG gets a bad rap in the vintage world, but honestly their holders are indestructible. You cannot break one if you tried. And even when you try, it's still tough.

I've had SGC and PSA holders fall apart in simple instances like dropping the card on the ground. So if your number 1 priority is securing the card, I'd go with BVG.