PDA

View Full Version : Is ebayer Yepbg on this site?

CaramelMan
09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
was wondering if you could lower some of your prices...then your cards may sell...I seem to be looking at the same cards you have for sale for 4 years now! they are double or triple recent selling prices...

to make matters worse, you have now cluttered up the Auction side also (starting at the same overpriced BIN starting points)

do you think switching from $600 Bin to $600 starting auction is going to help sell off the stale inventory?

ps..is there a way to search for a category (say E90-1) and block a certain seller from showing up

pss...is there a way to benefit by not selling cards? (trying to prove their value without actually selling it mabybe for Ins purpose?)

thanks

JasonD08
09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Wow someone pissed in your cheerios this morning! lol

Leon
09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't mind what the OP posted but a full name is going to be required...(and this below is at the top of every page)..with more rules in the Rules section.....the first post needs a full name, please..thanks

"If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

nsaddict
09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Top right of the ebay page, click on "advanced". Scroll towards the bottom to "sellers". Type in seller's ID and "exclude". And his entire inventory is removed from searching :) You are not the first to mention his "prices" :)

http://tinyurl.com/prdafm8

bnorth
09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I think it is just a selling technique. I know a seller that lists 1989 error cards at 5-10 times what they normally sell for. They have a 10 card lot on ebay now for $4500 that is really worth about $300. The seller does not need the $ so they do not care how long they set there before selling. Then once in a great while they run into a "sucker" and they just made more $ off selling 1 card than most make off selling 20-50 cards.

MMarvelli
09-16-2013, 02:42 PM
He has a lot of cards, most overpriced, but the frustrating thing to me is he doesnt provide back scans. So many cards have back variations that would make the difference in buying or not, even at a healthy price. I need a couple of cards to finish one of the few sets I have been putzing around with for years. I dont even mind overpaying to a certain extent. The card has been listed and re-listed many times and for many months. I sent an email requesting a back scan as the front looks too good to be a Poor as graded by PSA. I assume the back must have damage, though nothing is noted in the description. He didnt reply to my first request for a scan, and I sent another request last week. Received no answer to that one either. I am not sure how (or why) you would run 30 day auctions with minimal descriptions, no back scans, price the product considerably higher than actual value, and repeat the process every 30 days, over and over. I suppose each to their own when it comes to marketing and customer service.

bobbyw8469
09-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I amazed he ever sells ANYTHING! But he does.....so the beat goes on!

Griffins
09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
I've had nothing but good dealings with Brian for many years, and found him to be flexible on pricing. Perhaps just making a reasonable offer would yield some results, always worked for me.

Leon
09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
I've had nothing but good dealings with Brian for many years, and found him to be flexible on pricing. Perhaps just making a reasonable offer would yield some results, always worked for me.

He has been friendly to converse with in my situations but we have never got to a point where we could actually get something done. His pricing never got down to this stratosphere. He has one card right now that I would like to have. He has $950 on it. It is worth about $100-$125. I paid that much for a similar but nicer one. No need for me to make an offer on it as it is 700% too high. And he is a member of this board but I don't think he reads it often or has posted.

kmac32
09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Bought from him before and yes he lists cards high. However, he will listen to reasonable offers and does a good job getting cards to you. Never any issues dealing with him.

ALR-bishop
09-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Agree with Anthony....and Ken. I have made him offers on his cards that he has accepted at prices I found reasonable. Maybe he has just adopted Levi's business plan ( I buy from him too) :)

nolemmings
09-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Always lists for 3x actual value or more. It would be nice to see backs scans and enlargements, but I'm not holding my breath.

As it is I almost feel like his cards are my cards-- I certainly see them more often than my own.

Leon
09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
As it is I almost feel like his cards are my cards-- I certainly see them more often than my own.

That's pretty funny Todd...

CaramelMan
09-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Have nothing negative about the seller except for his stratospheric prices...

He just keeps relisting at the same prices that make you skip over his listings so fast because they are not even in the ballpark....

Maybe he can add a BEST OFFER feature....:rolleyes:

$c0tt $im0nett1

bobbyw8469
09-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Maybe he can add a BEST OFFER feature....

Yea....but that guy is SOOOO unrealistically high, that even if you offer to pay a (realistic) premium for a card, he will see it as an insult because your offer will be much lower than his asking price (Yes - I am NOT exaggerating!! His BINs prices are THAT high!!)

Leon
09-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Interestingly, Brian does read this board. He offered me the above card I mentioned at a very fair price and I bought it. I appreciated that. And again, I had a cordial and friendly exchange with him.

bobbyw8469
09-16-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm glad you found him to be cordial Leon. Did you ask him why he asks 5000% times the going rate? Is he hoping to snag an uninformed buyer?

GoldenAge50s
09-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Interestingly, Brian does read this board. He offered me the above card I mentioned at a very fair price and I bought it. I appreciated that. And again, I had a cordial and friendly exchange with him.

Most likely a smart PR move on his part! The difference being you are Leon & we are not!:)

CaramelMan
09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Most likely a smart PR move on his part! The difference being you are Leon & we are not!:)

Some very good one liners emerging from this thread....

sando69
09-16-2013, 07:28 PM
have had "yepbg" on my blocked seller list for so long, i didn't realize he was even still on ebay... :eek:

buymycards
09-16-2013, 07:33 PM
I have to admit that he has a heck of a lot of really nice cards. The thing is, when I see a PSA 1 Type 2 Coupon common with a BIN of $200, I don't feel that I should even make an offer. I can pick these up for $25 to $40.

I wish him the best and I hope he does well, but I feel very uncomfortable making an offer of $35 when the BIN is $200.

Rick

CaramelMan
09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
I have to admit that he has a heck of a lot of really nice cards. The thing is, when I see a PSA 1 Type 2 Coupon common with a BIN of $200, I don't feel that I should even make an offer. I can pick these up for $25 to $40.

I wish him the best and I hope he does well, but I feel very uncomfortable making an offer of $35 when the BIN is $200.

Rick

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Edwolf1963
09-16-2013, 07:58 PM
I feel very uncomfortable making an offer of $35 when the BIN is $200.

Ditto. I feel like I am being insulting (and wasting my time/seller's time) if I offer too low - even if I am at fair-market value. Remember Jaysace used to run this kind of set-up as well - priced well above real-market, then usually accepted 50% - 60% lower.

the 'stache
09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
And again, I had a cordial and friendly exchange with him.

Not surprising. One does not speak to the Godfather with a disrespectful tone, lest he be paid a visit by Luca Brasi. :D

Texxxx
09-16-2013, 09:25 PM

Rick

I know how you feel and some times I don't make a offer. BUT, sometimes it pays off to make the offer. I picked up a card just last week that was listed for $1250 and I offered $225 for it and he took it. That was fair market for the card. Three years ago I made an offer on a $12000 card that was listed for $32000. I offered $8500 and he took it. You never know when the seller is needing the money. The worse that can happen is they turn you down. If they have the balls to ask too much it's not going to bother me to ask fair market.
I would have never had a dated when I was younger if I had not asked. :D

frankbmd
09-16-2013, 10:03 PM
I would have never had a dated when I was younger if I had not asked. :D

Quite right Bruce,
but how much did you have to pay for those dates?:D

Fair market?;)

batsballsbases
09-16-2013, 10:46 PM
If you check back over 2 years ago in the post Over priced cards on ebay are they part of a tax scam go into the search section. I made some comments about a certain person who I cant say his name ( Leon made me change it to certain person) Hi Leon;);) That we happen to be talking about. Go back and take a look some good reading in there!! This has been going on with him just about forever.

Leon
09-17-2013, 07:06 AM
If you check back over 2 years ago in the post Over priced cards on ebay are they part of a tax scam go into the search section. I made some comments about a certain person who I cant say his name ( Leon made me change it to certain person) Hi Leon;);) That we happen to be talking about. Go back and take a look some good reading in there!! This has been going on with him just about forever.

The only thing I make people do is put their name by their post when necessary. Everyone says what they want to on this board.

WhenItWasAHobby
09-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Always lists for 3x actual value or more.

Actually he provides an invaluable service. Who needs VCP or SMR when you can just divide by 3?

Peter_Spaeth
09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Obviously what he is doing works for him -- whatever his objective may be -- so what is the point of a diatribe against him?

ALR-bishop
09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Obviously what he is doing works for him -- whatever his objective may be -- so what is the point of a diatribe against him?

+1

glynparson
09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
If they only wanted what the cards sell for at ebay auction, they would auction them and not bother putting them in their stores. I honestly see ebay auctions as a little more than wholesale but not full retail. They are not even a true auction as they have an end time and don't end when the bidding is finished for the item. That said his prices do tend to be high but I have bought several cards from him over the years and they were shipped quickly and well packaged and looked exactly like the scans.

bobbyw8469
09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
I agree with MOST of what you are saying Glyn Parsons. If the cards are rare, or high end, then that is not true. If they are dime a dozen cards, then yes, you are 100% correct.

WhenItWasAHobby
09-17-2013, 12:10 PM

Yes, it very likely does work. Dealers like this, and now they are pretty much the standard and no longer the exception on eBay, thrive on the uneducated, undisciplined, and impulsive consumers plus the "money-is-not-an-issue" types to make this business model work.

insidethewrapper
09-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Been watching his high prices for years. Offered 1/2 price on a $ 600 item and was turned down. Won in another auction for under $ 200. These dealers make it hard for collectors when the prices are so off track.

savedfrommyspokes
09-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, it very likely does work. Dealers like this, and now they are pretty much the standard and no longer the exception on eBay, thrive on the uneducated, undisciplined, and impulsive consumers plus the "money-is-not-an-issue" types to make this business model work.

I have seen other ebay sellers use (successfully for them) this type of business model. The reason it works for them is because they are perfectly happy selling 2 cards a day (like yepbg). A local long-time collector I have become friends with over the years operated very much in this same manner....he sold cards at a premium for many years on ebay at a very slow but steady pace. He did so because he was retired and wanted to sell duplicates from his massive collection. Money was not really an issue as he had retired from a successful business career, so offering his cards at a lower price and turning his inventory quickly was not a goal.

bobbyw8469
09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
The reason it works for them is because they are perfectly happy selling 2 cards a day (like yepbg).

I got cards WAYYYYYY cheaper than yepbg, and I would LOVE to sell 2 cards a day!!

auggiedoggy
09-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Bought from him before and yes he lists cards high. However, he will listen to reasonable offers and does a good job getting cards to you. Never any issues dealing with him.

If the BIN price is insanely high I don't even make an offer. There's no point. I've seen a lot of insanely priced cards on eBay from various sellers (not just this seller) but due to their listed prices I won't even bother making an offer because even a fair offer (based on reality) will appear to be low-balling.

auggiedoggy
09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
I got cards WAYYYYYY cheaper than yepbg, and I would LOVE to sell 2 cards a day!!

Ditto.

calvindog
09-17-2013, 04:21 PM
The reason it works for them is because they are perfectly happy selling 2 cards a day (like yepbg).

Yepbg sold 2 cards in the past 15 days that were listed (barely) over $1000: just 2 of his 1000 most expensively listed cards. Unless he's selling drugs on the side, I'm not sure this is a great business model.

tbob
09-17-2013, 04:29 PM

+1. I have had nothing but good dealings with him but he won't come down very much on the cards :( The cards I purchased from him have been great and his customer service is also top-notch. I think he is first rate but, yes, I'd like to see him come down a little more on the prices and many of his cards would sell quickly....

nolemmings
09-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Is there a way I can block him as a seller permanently, or do I have to do so every time I search?

Sorry, TBob, top notch is about the last descriptor I would use for this guy. I've posted this before, but I remember years ago when I asked him to come down $25 on a PX7 Engle disk (red). Not only was I immediately rebuked, but a day or so later he actually jacked the price $25.00. Now this card/disk had been sitting on Ebay for years--in fact, it still sits there today, only he's jacked it another $25.00. I would love it if it sat there until hell froze over.

He has the right to sell for whatever he wants. I have the right to block him and consider him greedy. This is a great country.

bobbyw8469
09-17-2013, 05:48 PM
He has the right to sell for whatever he wants. I have the right to block him and consider him greedy. This is a great country

+2

calvindog
09-17-2013, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't even suggest he's greedy -- because he sells almost none of his cards, so it's not like he's making any money at this. He's simply delusional.

brianp-beme
09-18-2013, 07:26 AM
I would think the key to selling vintage cards on ebay with this type of business model would be to price your cards high, but somehow figure out a threshold where you don't tick potential customers off so much that they stick you on their blocked list...tough to sell when people aren't seeing what you have to offer.

Let's just say this seller is on my blocked list.

Brian

savedfrommyspokes
09-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Yepbg sold 2 cards in the past 15 days that were listed (barely) over $1000: just 2 of his 1000 most expensively listed cards. Unless he's selling drugs on the side, I'm not sure this is a great business model.

He likely sold only two cards over the last 15 days because he had many fewer cards listed due to ebay not having any current free listing offers available to him during that time frame. However, he has sold 114 items over the last 60 days, or approximately 2 per day. If this is what he wants to do with his time, then I guess this model does work for him(or he would lower his "list" prices to stimulate more than two sales a day). The total "asking price" on those 114 listings sold was $17065, so hypothetically if he accepted all of his offers at 2/3 rds of the asking price, over two months, that is over $11k in income. Maybe he is comfortable with that amount of income every two months.

bobbyw8469
09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
And what was VCP on those $1,000 cards?? $300?

ALR-bishop
09-18-2013, 09:47 AM
If he ever reads this thread he will probably get a chuckle about the ongoing consternation he is causing over here

Peter_Spaeth
09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
If he ever reads this thread he will probably get a chuckle about the ongoing consternation he is causing over here

Yeah a chuckle all the way to the bank. He obviously is doing things the way he chooses for his own reasons, perhaps he does not need cash flow.

bobbyw8469
09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
He can sell stuff for whatever he wants. If someone is selling gas for $20 a gallon when everyone else has it for around $3ish, then I will talk smack about them. No different here. I wont pay $20 a gallon, and I won't buy from yepbg. He can do whatever he wants though.....

sflayank
09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
no one knows how many cards he sold
probably 90% of the cards he sold werent really sold
he pays the ebay fee consigns his stuff to major auctions and they can advertise what the last one sold for x....im not saying he does that but that scam has been going on forever with baseball stuff

calvindog
09-18-2013, 07:12 PM
He likely sold only two cards over the last 15 days because he had many fewer cards listed due to ebay not having any current free listing offers available to him during that time frame. However, he has sold 114 items over the last 60 days, or approximately 2 per day. If this is what he wants to do with his time, then I guess this model does work for him(or he would lower his "list" prices to stimulate more than two sales a day). The total "asking price" on those 114 listings sold was $17065, so hypothetically if he accepted all of his offers at 2/3 rds of the asking price, over two months, that is over $11k in income. Maybe he is comfortable with that amount of income every two months.

He had over 10,000 completed listings over the past 15 days. Two of his most expensive 2000 cards sold during that period. That's two. 1, 2. Of over 2000. The total sales price for these two cards was under 3K I believe.

savedfrommyspokes
09-18-2013, 08:37 PM
He had over 10,000 completed listings over the past 15 days. Two of his most expensive 2000 cards sold during that period. That's two. 1, 2. Of over 2000. The total sales price for these two cards was under 3K I believe.

It must have been good month and a half of sales for him as he sold 112 cards in the 45 day period prior to the most recent 15 day period

calvindog
09-18-2013, 08:59 PM
It must have been good month and a half of sales for him as he sold 112 cards in the 45 day period prior to the most recent 15 day period

You're either him or you're insane. Or both. He may have sold 112 cards but he sells 1 out of every 1000 of his most expensive cards during any 15 day period. And I'm going down to $450 cards. Which means the bulk of the cards he's selling are for a couple hundred bucks. He can obviously do what he wants but I can also point out that he's an idiot.

Peter_Spaeth
09-18-2013, 09:09 PM
If he sold I of 1000, he knows he sold I of 1000. You are judging him an idiot by a yardstick that may not be applicable.

calvindog
09-18-2013, 09:38 PM
He sells 1 of 1000 cards in a venue which is solely for selling. He's an idiot.

RCMcKenzie
09-19-2013, 02:57 AM
The guy is asking too much money for his toys. That does not qualify him as an idiot. He is not selling overpriced gasoline, food, or water to hurricane victims. (hoping to get a lower price on the red border Colgan's chips)...

savedfrommyspokes
09-19-2013, 04:40 AM
You're either him or you're insane. Or both. He may have sold 112 cards but he sells 1 out of every 1000 of his most expensive cards during any 15 day period. And I'm going down to $450 cards. Which means the bulk of the cards he's selling are for a couple hundred bucks. He can obviously do what he wants but I can also point out that he's an idiot.

I am actually neither.....while his selling model is fairly unique, it works for him or he would not continue with it(obviously). Unlike most sellers, making money through volume of sales may not be his goal.

bobbyw8469
09-19-2013, 05:03 AM
He is not selling overpriced gasoline, food, or water to hurricane victims.

Nope....he is selling overpriced baseball cards. You can insert the blank and use whatever metaphor you want. Call it what you want, these aren't rare commodities. This ain't the Mona Lisa! Even the rare T206 Honus Wagner has around 30 or so! :o Wonder what old yebg would sell one for if he gets his hands on one?? I can picture him doing the Dr. Evil pose and saying "One Billion Dollars!"

http://www.php-web-host.com/ckfinder/userfiles/images/dr-evil.jpg

vintagetoppsguy
09-19-2013, 05:43 AM
What makes some of you guys think that his business model is working for him? Just because he keeps doing the same thing over and over? That doesn't mean that it's working. After all, isn't that the definition of insanity - to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result every time?

calvindog
09-19-2013, 06:12 AM
What makes some of you guys think that his business model is working for him? Just because he keeps doing the same thing over and over? That doesn't mean that it's working. After all, isn't that the definition of insanity - to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result every time?

OBVIOUSLY his business model works, what are you talking about? Of his most recent 7000 auctions which have closed (I stopped counting at 7000), a grand total of ZERO sold! And many of these cards were listed as $25 BINs with free shipping. Brilliant business model.

EDITED TO ADD: over the last 9 days, he sold 2 items. That's 10,000 auctions with free shipping. 2 cheap items sold. He basically clogs the ebay categories with overpriced cards (even at $25) which no one buys. He's so smart that the next thing I expect him to do is hand me a business card that says, "Acme Baseball Card Store."

Peter_Spaeth
09-19-2013, 08:40 AM

Just a guess, but I would guess he knows that if he lowered his prices more cards would sell. Then again somehow that might be escaping him.

nolemmings
09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Actually, I can tell you he has lowered his prices in the past couple of days, at least on items I follow (I'm sometimes too lazy to block him, plus I've become real good at turbo scrolling past his auctions). It would thus appear he either reads this forum or has been informed about this thread. His prices are still too high by a noticeable amount, but it might be a step in the right direction.

I don't know the guy from Adam and might have no problem sitting down with him for a beer or six. I just can't make sense of his model, and while he owes me no explanation, I feel well within my rights to have a negative opinion of him or at least what he does on Ebay. I know I am not alone, and I am kind of surprised at the length of this thread, given that if you type in the search term yepbg you can see from prior threads that he has been criticized here many times over the years.