NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Scott S

Default Is ebayer Yepbg on this site?

was wondering if you could lower some of your prices...then your cards may sell...I seem to be looking at the same cards you have for sale for 4 years now! they are double or triple recent selling prices...

to make matters worse, you have now cluttered up the Auction side also (starting at the same overpriced BIN starting points)

do you think switching from $600 Bin to $600 starting auction is going to help sell off the stale inventory?

ps..is there a way to search for a category (say E90-1) and block a certain seller from showing up

pss...is there a way to benefit by not selling cards? (trying to prove their value without actually selling it mabybe for Ins purpose?)

thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

Wow someone pissed in your cheerios this morning! lol
Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't mind what the OP posted but a full name is going to be required...(and this below is at the top of every page)..with more rules in the Rules section.....the first post needs a full name, please..thanks

"If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

Last edited by Leon; 09-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Richard L.

Top right of the ebay page, click on "advanced". Scroll towards the bottom to "sellers". Type in seller's ID and "exclude". And his entire inventory is removed from searching You are not the first to mention his "prices"

http://tinyurl.com/prdafm8

Last edited by nsaddict; 09-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Ben North

I think it is just a selling technique. I know a seller that lists 1989 error cards at 5-10 times what they normally sell for. They have a 10 card lot on ebay now for $4500 that is really worth about $300. The seller does not need the $ so they do not care how long they set there before selling. Then once in a great while they run into a "sucker" and they just made more $ off selling 1 card than most make off selling 20-50 cards.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Marvellous Mark

He has a lot of cards, most overpriced, but the frustrating thing to me is he doesnt provide back scans. So many cards have back variations that would make the difference in buying or not, even at a healthy price. I need a couple of cards to finish one of the few sets I have been putzing around with for years. I dont even mind overpaying to a certain extent. The card has been listed and re-listed many times and for many months. I sent an email requesting a back scan as the front looks too good to be a Poor as graded by PSA. I assume the back must have damage, though nothing is noted in the description. He didnt reply to my first request for a scan, and I sent another request last week. Received no answer to that one either. I am not sure how (or why) you would run 30 day auctions with minimal descriptions, no back scans, price the product considerably higher than actual value, and repeat the process every 30 days, over and over. I suppose each to their own when it comes to marketing and customer service.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Robert Williams

I amazed he ever sells ANYTHING! But he does.....so the beat goes on!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I've had nothing but good dealings with Brian for many years, and found him to be flexible on pricing. Perhaps just making a reasonable offer would yield some results, always worked for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I've had nothing but good dealings with Brian for many years, and found him to be flexible on pricing. Perhaps just making a reasonable offer would yield some results, always worked for me.
He has been friendly to converse with in my situations but we have never got to a point where we could actually get something done. His pricing never got down to this stratosphere. He has one card right now that I would like to have. He has $950 on it. It is worth about $100-$125. I paid that much for a similar but nicer one. No need for me to make an offer on it as it is 700% too high. And he is a member of this board but I don't think he reads it often or has posted.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Ken McMillan

Bought from him before and yes he lists cards high. However, he will listen to reasonable offers and does a good job getting cards to you. Never any issues dealing with him.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Al Richter

Default Yep

Agree with Anthony....and Ken. I have made him offers on his cards that he has accepted at prices I found reasonable. Maybe he has just adopted Levi's business plan ( I buy from him too)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-16-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added Ken
Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Todd Schultz

Always lists for 3x actual value or more. It would be nice to see backs scans and enlargements, but I'm not holding my breath.

As it is I almost feel like his cards are my cards-- I certainly see them more often than my own.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
As it is I almost feel like his cards are my cards-- I certainly see them more often than my own.
That's pretty funny Todd...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Scott S

Default Prices only

Have nothing negative about the seller except for his stratospheric prices...

He just keeps relisting at the same prices that make you skip over his listings so fast because they are not even in the ballpark....

Maybe he can add a BEST OFFER feature....

$c0tt $im0nett1
Old 09-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Maybe he can add a BEST OFFER feature....
Yea....but that guy is SOOOO unrealistically high, that even if you offer to pay a (realistic) premium for a card, he will see it as an insult because your offer will be much lower than his asking price (Yes - I am NOT exaggerating!! His BINs prices are THAT high!!)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Interestingly, Brian does read this board. He offered me the above card I mentioned at a very fair price and I bought it. I appreciated that. And again, I had a cordial and friendly exchange with him.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Robert Williams

I'm glad you found him to be cordial Leon. Did you ask him why he asks 5000% times the going rate? Is he hoping to snag an uninformed buyer?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM
FredYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Interestingly, Brian does read this board. He offered me the above card I mentioned at a very fair price and I bought it. I appreciated that. And again, I had a cordial and friendly exchange with him.

Most likely a smart PR move on his part! The difference being you are Leon & we are not!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Most likely a smart PR move on his part! The difference being you are Leon & we are not!

Some very good one liners emerging from this thread....
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM
mark sanders

Default thank you for bringing me up to date!

have had "yepbg" on my blocked seller list for so long, i didn't realize he was even still on ebay...
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Offers

I have to admit that he has a heck of a lot of really nice cards. The thing is, when I see a PSA 1 Type 2 Coupon common with a BIN of $200, I don't feel that I should even make an offer. I can pick these up for $25 to $40.

I wish him the best and I hope he does well, but I feel very uncomfortable making an offer of $35 when the BIN is $200.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I have to admit that he has a heck of a lot of really nice cards. The thing is, when I see a PSA 1 Type 2 Coupon common with a BIN of $200, I don't feel that I should even make an offer. I can pick these up for $25 to $40.

I wish him the best and I hope he does well, but I feel very uncomfortable making an offer of $35 when the BIN is $200.

Rick
Couldn't have said it better myself...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
I feel very uncomfortable making an offer of $35 when the BIN is $200.
Ditto. I feel like I am being insulting (and wasting my time/seller's time) if I offer too low - even if I am at fair-market value. Remember Jaysace used to run this kind of set-up as well - priced well above real-market, then usually accepted 50% - 60% lower.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And again, I had a cordial and friendly exchange with him.
Not surprising. One does not speak to the Godfather with a disrespectful tone, lest he be paid a visit by Luca Brasi.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:

Rick
I know how you feel and some times I don't make a offer. BUT, sometimes it pays off to make the offer. I picked up a card just last week that was listed for $1250 and I offered $225 for it and he took it. That was fair market for the card. Three years ago I made an offer on a $12000 card that was listed for $32000. I offered $8500 and he took it. You never know when the seller is needing the money. The worse that can happen is they turn you down. If they have the balls to ask too much it's not going to bother me to ask fair market.
I would have never had a dated when I was younger if I had not asked.

Last edited by Texxxx; 09-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
I would have never had a dated when I was younger if I had not asked.
Quite right Bruce,
but how much did you have to pay for those dates?

Fair market?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Al

Default over priced

If you check back over 2 years ago in the post Over priced cards on ebay are they part of a tax scam go into the search section. I made some comments about a certain person who I cant say his name ( Leon made me change it to certain person) Hi Leon That we happen to be talking about. Go back and take a look some good reading in there!! This has been going on with him just about forever.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-16-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: felt like it!!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
If you check back over 2 years ago in the post Over priced cards on ebay are they part of a tax scam go into the search section. I made some comments about a certain person who I cant say his name ( Leon made me change it to certain person) Hi Leon That we happen to be talking about. Go back and take a look some good reading in there!! This has been going on with him just about forever.
The only thing I make people do is put their name by their post when necessary. Everyone says what they want to on this board.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Always lists for 3x actual value or more.
Actually he provides an invaluable service. Who needs VCP or SMR when you can just divide by 3?

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Obviously what he is doing works for him -- whatever his objective may be -- so what is the point of a diatribe against him?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Al Richter

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Obviously what he is doing works for him -- whatever his objective may be -- so what is the point of a diatribe against him?
+1
Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Glyn Parson

Default If they only wanted what the

If they only wanted what the cards sell for at ebay auction, they would auction them and not bother putting them in their stores. I honestly see ebay auctions as a little more than wholesale but not full retail. They are not even a true auction as they have an end time and don't end when the bidding is finished for the item. That said his prices do tend to be high but I have bought several cards from him over the years and they were shipped quickly and well packaged and looked exactly like the scans.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Robert Williams

I agree with MOST of what you are saying Glyn Parsons. If the cards are rare, or high end, then that is not true. If they are dime a dozen cards, then yes, you are 100% correct.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yes, it very likely does work. Dealers like this, and now they are pretty much the standard and no longer the exception on eBay, thrive on the uneducated, undisciplined, and impulsive consumers plus the "money-is-not-an-issue" types to make this business model work.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Mike

Been watching his high prices for years. Offered 1/2 price on a $ 600 item and was turned down. Won in another auction for under $ 200. These dealers make it hard for collectors when the prices are so off track.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Yes, it very likely does work. Dealers like this, and now they are pretty much the standard and no longer the exception on eBay, thrive on the uneducated, undisciplined, and impulsive consumers plus the "money-is-not-an-issue" types to make this business model work.
I have seen other ebay sellers use (successfully for them) this type of business model. The reason it works for them is because they are perfectly happy selling 2 cards a day (like yepbg). A local long-time collector I have become friends with over the years operated very much in this same manner....he sold cards at a premium for many years on ebay at a very slow but steady pace. He did so because he was retired and wanted to sell duplicates from his massive collection. Money was not really an issue as he had retired from a successful business career, so offering his cards at a lower price and turning his inventory quickly was not a goal.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
The reason it works for them is because they are perfectly happy selling 2 cards a day (like yepbg).
I got cards WAYYYYYY cheaper than yepbg, and I would LOVE to sell 2 cards a day!!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Bought from him before and yes he lists cards high. However, he will listen to reasonable offers and does a good job getting cards to you. Never any issues dealing with him.
If the BIN price is insanely high I don't even make an offer. There's no point. I've seen a lot of insanely priced cards on eBay from various sellers (not just this seller) but due to their listed prices I won't even bother making an offer because even a fair offer (based on reality) will appear to be low-balling.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 09-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I got cards WAYYYYYY cheaper than yepbg, and I would LOVE to sell 2 cards a day!!
Ditto.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
The reason it works for them is because they are perfectly happy selling 2 cards a day (like yepbg).
Yepbg sold 2 cards in the past 15 days that were listed (barely) over $1000: just 2 of his 1000 most expensively listed cards. Unless he's selling drugs on the side, I'm not sure this is a great business model.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
+1. I have had nothing but good dealings with him but he won't come down very much on the cards The cards I purchased from him have been great and his customer service is also top-notch. I think he is first rate but, yes, I'd like to see him come down a little more on the prices and many of his cards would sell quickly....
Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Todd Schultz

Is there a way I can block him as a seller permanently, or do I have to do so every time I search?

Sorry, TBob, top notch is about the last descriptor I would use for this guy. I've posted this before, but I remember years ago when I asked him to come down $25 on a PX7 Engle disk (red). Not only was I immediately rebuked, but a day or so later he actually jacked the price $25.00. Now this card/disk had been sitting on Ebay for years--in fact, it still sits there today, only he's jacked it another $25.00. I would love it if it sat there until hell froze over.

He has the right to sell for whatever he wants. I have the right to block him and consider him greedy. This is a great country.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 09-17-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: removed cuss words
Old 09-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
He has the right to sell for whatever he wants. I have the right to block him and consider him greedy. This is a great country
+2
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I wouldn't even suggest he's greedy -- because he sells almost none of his cards, so it's not like he's making any money at this. He's simply delusional.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Default Ticked

I would think the key to selling vintage cards on ebay with this type of business model would be to price your cards high, but somehow figure out a threshold where you don't tick potential customers off so much that they stick you on their blocked list...tough to sell when people aren't seeing what you have to offer.

Let's just say this seller is on my blocked list.

Brian
Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Yepbg sold 2 cards in the past 15 days that were listed (barely) over $1000: just 2 of his 1000 most expensively listed cards. Unless he's selling drugs on the side, I'm not sure this is a great business model.
He likely sold only two cards over the last 15 days because he had many fewer cards listed due to ebay not having any current free listing offers available to him during that time frame. However, he has sold 114 items over the last 60 days, or approximately 2 per day. If this is what he wants to do with his time, then I guess this model does work for him(or he would lower his "list" prices to stimulate more than two sales a day). The total "asking price" on those 114 listings sold was $17065, so hypothetically if he accepted all of his offers at 2/3 rds of the asking price, over two months, that is over $11k in income. Maybe he is comfortable with that amount of income every two months.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 09-18-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Robert Williams

And what was VCP on those $1,000 cards?? $300?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Al Richter

Default Yep

If he ever reads this thread he will probably get a chuckle about the ongoing consternation he is causing over here
Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
If he ever reads this thread he will probably get a chuckle about the ongoing consternation he is causing over here
Yeah a chuckle all the way to the bank. He obviously is doing things the way he chooses for his own reasons, perhaps he does not need cash flow.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Robert Williams

He can sell stuff for whatever he wants. If someone is selling gas for $20 a gallon when everyone else has it for around $3ish, then I will talk smack about them. No different here. I wont pay $20 a gallon, and I won't buy from yepbg. He can do whatever he wants though.....