PDA

View Full Version : To what extent...

mintacular
01-11-2013, 12:03 PM
of where/when/who you bought a card from impact your willingness to part with a card? Obviously cards purchased in one's youth, etc. would bar many from selling/trading a card but what about in your adult life +/- experiences memories of purchasing cards from a certain seller, card show, flea market, etc....For me, it is a small factor as there are a few cards that don't fit my collection but there is a small tug not to part with them due to positive experience I had purchasing them. For example there is a T205 that I found at a flea market and bought off a dealer friend of mine. Had I bought it on eBay I would not think twice about parting with it but since I remember the day, etc. of finding it it is a bit harder. Am I crazy or what?

ullmandds
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
To me...the "story" behind a card is paramount to its ownership! I collect other things besides cardboard...art...ceramics...sculpture...every piece I own has a story regarding where/how I got it, etc. Some things I own I will never part with based on how I obtained them. But to the contrary...as time goes on...and my whims and interests change...so will how I look at my "things!"

I just offered up for sale the 1st vintage card I bought as a kid in the late 70's...which I thought I'd never part with!!!

thisisradioclash
01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Sentiment is a big part of collecting for me, and it's why I don't think I could ever be a good card dealer. I love cards with a good story - and there are many of them. Sometimes when I think of selling a card, I'll remember that I saw the player play as a kid, or he's my cousin's brother's uncle's girlfriend, or something like that. :) I've slowly but surely been able to sell a lot lately to scale down/focus my collection, but it's been difficult for those reasons. I'm going to have to make some tough choices soon!

wazoo
01-11-2013, 03:08 PM
The story behind each acquisition makes the card what it is. If there is no meaning, then the card is not worth much to the owner. Since I'm attacking the Monster, (Peter's favorite ;) ), I go piece by piece. It's not one and done. I buy each card, research the player, and remember the story of how i obtained it. It's a magical feeling.