PDA

View Full Version : Need More Advice - In Person Autograph

mschwade
10-04-2012, 01:22 PM
You guys helped me out with the TTM personalization question and it worked out!! I got the program in the mail yesterday, not personalized. So I come to you today for more advice....

I have a very very rare (but not old) program with two guys on the cover. One guy is an icon, while the other is famous and known, but not in the "superstar" status. The latter will be in the same place I am in on Saturday night, while the superstar is having a private signing in a couple of weeks.

My thought was to bring it with me on Saturday and try to get the one guy to sign it and if successful, send it away to the private signing finish it off.

What do I do if the following happens???

Me: "Mr. So and So, would you mind signing my program?"

Mr. So and So: "Sure, what's your name?"

Obviously, you know what I am asking. I know the second guy is not going to personalize it, so I would rather not have this guy sign it to me either. What can I possibly say to him if that happens so he only signs his name?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Matt

isaac2004
10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
You guys helped me out with the TTM personalization question and it worked out!! I got the program in the mail yesterday, not personalized. So I come to you today for more advice....

I have a very very rare (but not old) program with two guys on the cover. One guy is an icon, while the other is famous and known, but not in the "superstar" status. The latter will be in the same place I am in on Saturday night, while the superstar is having a private signing in a couple of weeks.

My thought was to bring it with me on Saturday and try to get the one guy to sign it and if successful, send it away to the private signing finish it off.

What do I do if the following happens???

Me: "Mr. So and So, would you mind signing my program?"

Mr. So and So: "Sure, what's your name?"

Obviously, you know what I am asking. I know the second guy is not going to personalize it, so I would rather not have this guy sign it to me either. What can I possibly say to him if that happens so he only signs his name?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Matt

I would be honest with him. Tell him you plan on getting the other player to sign it as well, and because of circumstances, he probably would not have the time or frankly care to personalize it and you think it might look a bit odd hanging in your man cave like that. You may piss him off and he may not sign, but at least your reason is a decent one.

Big Six
10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Agreed...honesty is definately the best way to go...if you want to PM me, perhaps I have had an experince with the player...either way, good luck! Matt

packs
10-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Why not just ask him to make a generic inscription that everyone would love? I see a lot of To So and So but not too many To my pal, Signature or To A Real Fan, Signature.

HOFautosChris
10-04-2012, 06:30 PM
If the program is of the glossy variety the personilization can be removed via a number of methods. Personally I use a Sanford white photo eraser

mschwade
10-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I cut the grass tonight and thought a while about it... If he asks me for my name to personalize it, I will likely just have him sign it and not send it off to the superstar. I'll check back in and let you know how it goes, I might not even get close enough to him on Saturday.

tjb1952tjb
10-05-2012, 02:33 AM
"Best Wishes" is always a good generic signage.....................

theshleps
10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
I have been getting autographs in person for 10 years. Very few players will personalize an item if it has more than one players picture on it so I probably wouldn't worry though you too can email me and I can tell you more if I've gotten him

mschwade
10-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Alright, tonight's the night. The program is kind of dark, how do people feel about getting these signed in silver sharpie????

Big Six
10-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Alright, tonight's the night. The program is kind of dark, how do people feel about getting these signed in silver sharpie????

Silver is fine...good luck!

mr2686
10-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Silver is cool especially in the dark areas of a program or picture.

mschwade
10-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Didn't happen :( but hopefully I'll have more opportunities.

scmavl
10-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Didn't happen :( but hopefully I'll have more opportunities.

Story?

mschwade
10-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Story?

If he was there, I didn't see him. Long story short, his son plays on the football team I went to see.. But doesn't play much as a freshman. He had been to all the previous home games, but wasn't at Saturday's.