PDA

View Full Version : This is a reprint. Don't bid

caramelcard
10-19-2011, 08:08 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONUS-WAGNER-1912-Weber-Bakery-D304-Baseball-Card-/350499261469?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item519b624c1d#ht_1169wt_1169

Jaybird
10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks Robert. I noticed that one as well and immediately dismissed it. Too shiny among other telling factors. But, you were nice enough to tell everyone about it, unlike me :)

caramelcard
10-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey Jason,

Usually wouldn't, but it's up pretty high and it looked like legit bidding so I thought maybe I could save someone some cash.

Rob

YankeeCollector
10-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Usually when a card like this pops up and it's not graded, I check the seller's history to see if he has sold any graded cards. This guy only seems to sell raw cards.

shaunsteig
10-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Usually when a card like this pops up and it's not graded, I check the seller's history to see if he has sold any graded cards. This guy only seems to sell raw cards.

Not sure if I would conclude anything from that finding/strategy. Plenty of people only seem to collect raw cards. So that might be why he's only selling raw cards.

ls7plus
10-20-2011, 06:41 PM
The language employed to describe and sell it is a sure tip off.

Larry

Section103
10-21-2011, 08:48 AM
The language employed to describe and sell it is a sure tip off.

Larry

This. And holeymoley could the guy please stop yelling at me with a GIANT font and obnoxious color type.

Fred
10-21-2011, 09:30 AM
I think the item description screams "reprint". The seller is just another a-hole trying to make a buck on a card he knows is a reprint. The following is the item description:

I am selling what I think is a 1912 WEBER BAKERY D304 baseball card of Hall Of Fame great, HONUS WAGNER.

This card was found by me in a box of cards that I acquired from an older gentleman's card collection. I dont know anything about it and had to do some research on the internet to get an idea what card it was. I cannot verify how old this card is and if it is the real McCoy but it sure looks like a very old card from the back of the card.......The front of the card does have gloss to it but the back looks worn and old so I am not sure what I have......Please check out the photos of the card for condition and authentication.........

For those people with knowledge of this particular card, please contact me with any information you might have.

You are buying this card as is!!!!!!

I accept No Liability For The Authentication Or Value of The Card!!!!

tbob
10-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I could be wrong but I thought eBay had a strict policy forbidding these types of sales, i.e. when a guy says he doesn't know if it is a reprint or genuine. It seems like a couple of years ago a number of cards were pulled from their auction for this very reason. :confused:

Runscott
10-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I could be wrong but I thought eBay had a strict policy forbidding these types of sales, i.e. when a guy says he doesn't know if it is a reprint or genuine. It seems like a couple of years ago a number of cards were pulled from their auction for this very reason. :confused:

I'm certain you are correct.

Good to see you again Bob. I wish Minnesota had the same policy regarding their baseball teams - they would have to pull this year's :)

MooseWithFleas
10-24-2011, 02:09 PM
This is a reprint as well correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-PIEDMONT-FLICK-CLEVELAND-BASEBALL-CARD-/330629769356?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4cfb11e88c#ht_2911wt_1185

e107collector
10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
This is a reprint as well correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-PIEDMONT-FLICK-CLEVELAND-BASEBALL-CARD-/330629769356?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4cfb11e88c#ht_2911wt_1185

It's a reprint. The borders look handcut, font of the name on front is wrong, not factory designation on back.

Why would anyone reprint that card?

Tony

bjcunningham
10-24-2011, 02:37 PM
I contacted the seller and said it was a reprint. They said, rather innocently, that they tried to do some research but could not tell the difference. It sounds like the seller has a number of reprints, so best to avoid, if they try to sell the remaining cards.

frohme
10-24-2011, 07:32 PM

I seem to remember the same (as Scott says).

Love the avatar, Bob!

--
Mike

Leon
10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I wonder why it is that when someone says they don't know if an item is real or not the overwhelming majority of it the time it isn't? As soon as they say "I don't know" you can almost be assured they do and they just don't want to say it. As always the best way, imo, to learn about fakes is by handling raw cards and also handling fakes. I have several reprints/fakes in my repertoire for future reference.:cool:

glchen
10-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I think there is always the off chance that the seller really doesn't know what he has, and it's the real thing. This Felix Mendolsohn Ruth looked real to me (although I can't be quite sure either). In the end the seller didn't know and ended the auction early to send the card it to get graded. (The listing was at $20 with 2 days to go when it ended). The ebay listing is here: Link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/330628495299)

Leon
10-25-2011, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=glchen;934320]I think there is always the off chance that the seller really doesn't know what he has, and it's the real thing. This Felix Mendolsohn Ruth looked real to me (although I can't be quite sure either). In the end the seller didn't know and ended the auction early to send the card it to get graded. (The listing was at $20 with 2 days to go when it ended). The ebay listing is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330628495299)[QUOTE=glchen;934320]

Absolutely no doubt that some sellers don't know what they have. I was watching this one too and do think it is legit. I feel it's a small overall percentage though....but definitely there are some sellers who really don't know.

Jaybird
10-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Just as there are a small percentage of people that find cards in their grandfather's attic. But the small percentage is what people prey on to perpetuate the BS that we see 99% of the time. The best lies have a grain of truth in them.