NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2024, 08:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Consumer fraud is defined by statutes and some would have different definitions. Advertising goods for sale without the intention of selling them is defined as fraud in some jurisdictions.
Then the people putting stuff in the Ebay museum are in big trouble.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:05 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Even you are capable of rational thought, but your opinion still doesn't supercede legal advice....or matter to anyone in your delusional cardland or otherwise.
I have yet to a single explanation for how these acts did not violate California consumer protection laws. A lawyer possibly telling a client to do X (is this the angle we've decided on? I notice the Memory Lane fanboys don't seem to bring up the insurance fiction anymore. Is this the now preferred reason?) does not mean they cannot be criticized or that it is actually legal.

My opinion doesn't really matter to anyone else, and neither does yours. No shit

Quote:
Peoples opinions are not equal. Some are wrong ,as they don't coincide with facts.
I am happy to see you've moved to make this argument on grounds of fact, instead of your previous grounds of open and blatant bigotry. That's a positive, at least. What fact have I ignored? Remember, there is a transcript.

Quote:
We have now seen we have plenty of people who should be on a 5150 hold, welcome to express their opinions as fact.
Who are these multiple people you are alleging is a danger to themselves or others or is gravely disabled and thus eligible for a 5150 hold?
Old 05-21-2024, 08:12 AM
Drew W@i$e

I for one love seeing opinions on this topic. We are over 800 replies, which I think puts it in the top 10 of Net54 posts.

I don't think this story is going away for a long, long time. Especially with the fate of the missing cards still to be determined.

Has anyone on this board asked ML for a response to all of this? Especially if have dealt with them in the past.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:19 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I for one love seeing opinions on this topic. We are over 800 replies, which I think puts it in the top 10 of Net54 posts.

I don't think this story is going away for a long, long time. Especially with the fate of the missing cards still to be determined.

Has anyone on this board asked ML for a response to all of this? Especially if have dealt with them in the past.
That would take all the fun out of making up silly stuff and arguing it as fact. Early on one of the few people that would really know what is going on posted but the fiction writers like to ignore it as it doesn't fit their make believe posts.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:39 AM
Al Stein

So, do you think the thief may have stolen exactly 54 lots as some sort of tribute to this forum? I mean, he has apparently netted 54 baseball cards.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2024, 09:39 AM
Al Stein

So, do you think the thief may have stolen exactly 54 lots as some sort of tribute to this forum? I mean, he has apparently netted 54 baseball cards.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2024, 10:00 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That would take all the fun out of making up silly stuff and arguing it as fact. Early on one of the few people that would really know what is going on posted but the fiction writers like to ignore it as it doesn't fit their make believe posts.

The wifi is out on the short bus. Expect posts soon.

How can a seller list an item "in the ebay vault" without posession of it. Inquiring minds want to know!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-21-2024, 10:23 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I wonder if the FBI has put some kind of gag order on ML and GW+, which may be part of the reason there have been no public statements really since the theft, while they proceed with their investigations. It sure seems a long time since we have had any new info.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
What is your purpose?
I sense a big existential moment coming.

Greg, legal opinions are like...you know. I would not advise a client to do what ML did based on my experience litigating CA's consumer protection laws on both sides (plaintiff and defense) over the last 30+ years, but that's my take. Unless/until someone sues, we won't have a definitive answer. For all we know, ML's counsel may have opined that while there is a substantial risk of liability, there is a negligible risk of significant monetary damages, so the odds of someone suing are low.

John, no government agency has the right to impose a gag order--that can only come from a court with jurisdiction over the speakers. Law enforcement can ask a victim not to make public statements but there is no prior restraint absent a court order.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-21-2024, 11:08 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I sense a big existential moment coming.

Greg, legal opinions are like...you know. I would not advise a client to do what ML did based on my experience litigating CA's consumer protection laws on both sides (plaintiff and defense) over the last 30+ years, but that's my take. Unless/until someone sues, we won't have a definitive answer. For all we know, ML's counsel may have opined that while there is a substantial risk of liability, there is a negligible risk of significant monetary damages, so the odds of someone suing are low.

John, no government agency has the right to impose a gag order--that can only come from a court with jurisdiction over the speakers. Law enforcement can ask a victim not to make public statements but there is no prior restraint absent a court order.
Oh I'm very aware. I'm trying to get the Memory Lane defenders to make an argument on grounds of reason instead of grounds of pretending that lying to tons of people is not deceitful, or being richer, or obviously untrue insurance stories that have never happened before in the entire history of the world. It's a leading point to push to water so I have something better to contend with. It is, obviously, not the ethical high ground position to run a fraudulent auction, so let's try to do it on legal grounds then (or some other reasonable argument(. I want a good argument to debate with.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:51 PM

To memorialize this Memory Lane Lunacy thread, here is a 1954 Bowman of Memo Luna.

Brian (no longer my Memo Luna card...it was stolen!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MemoLuna54bowman.jpg (18.2 KB, 792 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-21-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:35 PM
Al Richter

Fascinating story about Mr Luna

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrO...xEgqcVnfdl2R4-
Old 05-21-2024, 03:36 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
To memorialize this Memory Lane Lunacy thread, here is a 1954 Bowman of Memo Luna.

Brian (no longer my Memo Luna card...it was stolen!)
Brian, did you try to auction your Luna card after it was stolen?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Brian, did you try to auction your Luna card after it was stolen?
Yes Val, but I wisely and appropriately pulled it from the auction before it ended.

Brian
Old 05-21-2024, 05:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Yes Val, but I wisely and appropriately pulled it from the auction before it ended.

Brian
Doubtless because you feared the California Civil Code.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:51 PM
Brad Sherlag

How have they not issued a list of cards yet? With the National being in Ohio an easy drive for the thief to try and dump them. I hate to have someone out because they bought stolen cards. If they did release a list I am sorry I missed it. I think I have read through the whole thread but not reading it daily I may have missed a section.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Doubtless because you feared the California Civil Code.
There is no escape from the CCC.

Brian
Old 05-22-2024, 06:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

How the heck did the Civilian Conservation Corps get dragged into this?

Unless you mean the Cannabis Control Commission, which might make some sense.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:56 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Everyone knows CCC is the king of reprints, Card Collectors Company
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-22-2024, 08:14 AM
+0m J()rd@N

I move that we close this thread to all new comments unless they are related to the recovery of the 54 cards or updates on the investigation. I think all other angles have been sufficiently covered.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:19 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

I gotta go see them the 5th of next month, wish me luck.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:40 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I move that we close this thread to all new comments unless they are related to the recovery of the 54 cards or updates on the investigation. I think all other angles have been sufficiently covered.
Seen this mentioned a few times during the thread. Totally disagree.

In the end, this may be the most replied to post in Net54 history. Why would you want to stop that?
Old 05-22-2024, 11:22 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Seen this mentioned a few times during the thread. Totally disagree.

In the end, this may be the most replied to post in Net54 history. Why would you want to stop that?
It's in lucky number 13th position now.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Is there a Best Western in Cleveland? Asking for a friend.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:52 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Is there a Best Western in Cleveland? Asking for a friend.
Are you ever funny? Asking for a friend.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:59 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wow. Swift kick to the nuts delivered by Mr. “I’ve Been on the Board Two Whole Weeks”. I’m down for the count.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:12 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Ha, why can't I BE funny? My comment was waaay more funny
Old 05-22-2024, 01:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootIsReal View Post
Are you ever funny? Asking for a friend.
You're going to have to understand that a forum is for discussing things and posting. Almost all your posts are bitching that people are posting lol.

Is this an alt one of you guys made for a little laugh?
Old 05-22-2024, 01:22 PM
Chase

Quote:
Ha, why can't I BE funny?
Was that a rhetorical question? And I am not asking for a friend.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:31 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

I have a relatively long story about the Strongsville show and Best Western. Who wants to read it (it makes me look like a moron / idiot / dummy)
Old 05-22-2024, 01:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I have a relatively long story about the Strongsville show and Best Western. Who wants to read it (it makes me look like a moron / idiot / dummy)
Post it some of us are bored and will read most anything. Plus you would be far from the only one looking that way.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:58 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Late Thurs (day of show) I leave Western Iowa and drive straight through to BW (11 hours). Arrive at BW 11:30A Friday. Go to front desk, "what time is check in"? She says 3:30 and I'm like F me I tell her been driving 11 hours.....she let me check in 3 hrs early. I go sleep for an hour, take a shower and go back to front at 2:30 and talk to lady at front about the show. She tells me she has a bunch of her Grandpa's cards from way back, I'm like jackpot! and tell her I was interested in buying them. I was figuring she was in her late 40's and assumed her Grandpa's cards would be from 30's and 40's. Before I left for the show I handed her $100 bill for letting me check in early and having the chance to buy her cards and left her my business card with cell # on back. I get up Sat A.M. run to the show real quick and pick up a 48' Leaf PSA 4 Jackie then leave for home. I knew this lady worked the following Tuesday so I waiting to call BW then. She said she didn't have the motivation to dig them out of the attic, I said "cash is a motivator". She said "give me until the weekend. I waited and didn't here back, I said to myself, F it, this is a chance of a lifetime and decided I was going to drive back on Friday of that week (I knew she worked Fri) with $1,000 for starters. Drove straight through again, walked into BW lobby and she recognized me right away. She said, "did you get my pics text"? I say "No". She says she texted them to ...and she rattled off my work #. Told her that's why I didn't get, cell # on back!!! She says "the cards aren't as old as I thought", I literally shit myself. She shows me the pics she sent......1987 Topps!! FML. I get a room, sleep for three hours and head back home feeling like a complete tool.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:02 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Just speculation, I know, but I can't help myself. Since the perp is some yob employee at GW+, and the video shows him clearly purloining the million $ card delivery, I can't help but wondering if it might have been some kind of inside job. He knew which box to grab and there must have been some kind of return address on the box showing ML or their address. It all just seemed so easy to make off with pricey cards. He must have had a good idea what was in it before he opened it. He took a hell of a chance, knowing that if he got caught he would be fired and face legal charges.

The investigation, based on the tape alone, would seem straightforward yet there has been little public information offered to date.

Just idle musings, but I want to go for a new net54 record.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:19 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Just speculation, I know, but I can't help myself. Since the perp is some yob employee at GW+, and the video shows him clearly purloining the million $ card delivery, I can't help but wondering if it might have been some kind of inside job. He knew which box to grab and there must have been some kind of return address on the box showing ML or their address. It all just seemed so easy to make off with pricey cards. He must have had a good idea what was in it before he opened it. He took a hell of a chance, knowing that if he got caught he would be fired and face legal charges.

The investigation, based on the tape alone, would seem straightforward yet there has been little public information offered to date.

Just idle musings, but I want to go for a new net54 record.
Did I miss something in this story? I thought there was video of the box being delivered to the BW+ but I didn't think there was video of the actual theft.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:43 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Did I miss something in this story? I thought there was video of the box being delivered to the BW+ but I didn't think there was video of the actual theft.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...I said the same thing to myself when I read what he wrote. He seems to have made up his own version of the story. That did not take too long now did it? Let's stick to the facts that we know.

All that has been made available to the public is that the surveillance footage shows Fed Ex bringing in the box and someone signing for it. The FBI has been involved as well as local police. I am sure both agencies have interviewed all employees, at least once, who were working from the time the package arrived and Joe arrived to find that the package was no longer there. Far as we know, no arrests have been made and the cards have not been recovered. That is even more stunning to me than ML shipping the box to nobody in the middle of nowhere and having it sit there for 3 days. This is an Ocean's 11 type of heist at this point.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:19 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Late Thurs (day of show) I leave Western Iowa and drive straight through to BW (11 hours). Arrive at BW 11:30A Friday. Go to front desk, "what time is check in"? She says 3:30 and I'm like F me I tell her been driving 11 hours.....she let me check in 3 hrs early. I go sleep for an hour, take a shower and go back to front at 2:30 and talk to lady at front about the show. She tells me she has a bunch of her Grandpa's cards from way back, I'm like jackpot! and tell her I was interested in buying them. I was figuring she was in her late 40's and assumed her Grandpa's cards would be from 30's and 40's. Before I left for the show I handed her $100 bill for letting me check in early and having the chance to buy her cards and left her my business card with cell # on back. I get up Sat A.M. run to the show real quick and pick up a 48' Leaf PSA 4 Jackie then leave for home. I knew this lady worked the following Tuesday so I waiting to call BW then. She said she didn't have the motivation to dig them out of the attic, I said "cash is a motivator". She said "give me until the weekend. I waited and didn't here back, I said to myself, F it, this is a chance of a lifetime and decided I was going to drive back on Friday of that week (I knew she worked Fri) with $1,000 for starters. Drove straight through again, walked into BW lobby and she recognized me right away. She said, "did you get my pics text"? I say "No". She says she texted them to ...and she rattled off my work #. Told her that's why I didn't get, cell # on back!!! She says "the cards aren't as old as I thought", I literally shit myself. She shows me the pics she sent......1987 Topps!! FML. I get a room, sleep for three hours and head back home feeling like a complete tool.
Unfortunate you filled your pants, but at least she had toilet paper for you.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:10 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...I said the same thing to myself when I read what he wrote. He seems to have made up his own version of the story. That did not take too long now did it? Let's stick to the facts that we know.

All that has been made available to the public is that the surveillance footage shows Fed Ex bringing in the box and someone signing for it. The FBI has been involved as well as local police. I am sure both agencies have interviewed all employees, at least once, who were working from the time the package arrived and Joe arrived to find that the package was no longer there. Far as we know, no arrests have been made and the cards have not been recovered. That is even more stunning to me than ML shipping the box to nobody in the middle of nowhere and having it sit there for 3 days. This is an Ocean's 11 type of heist at this point.
Chase, thanks for posting the facts. I assumed that the hotel "safe" room would have a camera and the theft and the one responsible would be on video. Assuming the thief was a hotel employee, the case should have been solved quickly and the cards perhaps recovered. The scenarios raised so far seem jumbled, but the fact that there has been no announcement weeks after the theft seems odd. You have set the record straight about what we know so far. If we had any idea what happened to the box after it was signed for, the picture might be clearer. I am sure the FBI knows.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:46 PM
Michael

I just got an email from ML saying the cards have been recovered (I was not a bidder on these cards but I am on their mailing list.)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 05-23-2024 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:48 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I just got an email from ML saying the cards have been recovered.
Same here! Great news.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:48 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I just got an email from ML saying the cards have been recovered.
That’s awesome!! Hopefully all the winning bidders get their cards and this entire ordeal will be forgotten in time.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:51 PM
Michael

In case people are not on the mailing list:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ML.JPG (112.1 KB, 410 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:52 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

AMAZING! All you blowhards whose opinions never mattered...still dont matter~

You know who you are. Complete blathering idiots!

WHAT A WASTE OF OXYGEN AND ELECTRICITY MY GOD

"uhh yea but but but but but...they were in the wrong"

guess they are STILL MEMORY LANE'S CARDS TO SELL...eh.....eh...eh?

Or no they belong to the consignors, or police or the belong to the bidder now, the cards are "recovered theft" and worthless

COME ON DIMWITS...we are waiting!!!!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-23-2024, 01:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Wow, it's almost like the advice ML took was the right advice.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:57 PM
qualitycards

Glad the cards have been retrieved & that an arrest was made
Old 05-23-2024, 01:58 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Well where's the fun in that.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-23-2024, 02:01 PM
Rich Klein

Default I just went to ML's web site

If they felt comfortable enough to send out an email, there should also be a note on the front page of their website. At least in my opinion.

Rich
Old 05-23-2024, 02:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

angelalansbury.jpg
"Come on, fellahs, it was a piece of cake solving this caper."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:17 PM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Ah, the venerable legal doctrine of post hoc ergo propter hoc.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:21 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

That's wonderful. Hopefully the thief gets a nice new home courtesy of the state.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
That's wonderful. Hopefully the thief gets a nice new home courtesy of the state.
Confinement to the Best Western?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.