NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2022, 05:49 PM
David Herrell

Default Soaking Question(s)

I bought this book quite excited to try to do my first soak, but now that the time has come I’m not as enthusiastic. Any advice? Since they’re glued to the pages of a textbook will it affect my results? Will the print on the pages transfer to the cards? Should I do an entire page at a time or separate them first?

Ideally I’d love if someone with vast experience in the practice would perform the service for a fee, but I’m not optimistic.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6FA6B2DE-9FA8-4C18-8DAC-3855FBA657D8.jpg (200.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 582FA21F-872D-4003-B18D-3C8244A6A439.jpg (203.4 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg CB6470EF-DB6E-4E1D-A65C-174CDB7AF5A9.jpg (200.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 884FAB16-40A3-40D0-988E-3DFABE563760.jpg (197.9 KB, 245 views)
Old 10-14-2022, 06:28 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I’ve soaked a few 1915 Crackerjacks before and had great success. I used distilled water. Have patience. Don’t worry about soaking them too long. It will take a good 30 minutes to an hour. Go slow. Make sure you have a small pair of tweezers and a needle.

Hopefully, the paste was water-based. Just my opinion, but I’d try to individually cut each card out from the textbook and individually soak them. Don’t know if there will be a transfer. My cards were pasted to a blank scrapbook. Good luck!

Last edited by Tyruscobb; 10-14-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:36 PM
Frank Wakefield

First, let's get your anxiety in check. Do that by cutting out from the top picture that remnant of the T206 that is under the Ewing T205 and above the Hoffman T206. It looks like you could cut that out from the page without cutting any of the other cards.

Once you cut it out, rinse it under a running cool water faucet, just to get any loose dirt or grime free. Then put it in a glass of cool tap water. (Unless you have really bad mineral water there is no need to buy distilled water for this.)

Let that bit of card soak. A few hours. Maybe half a day. I suspect if it's held by flour paste it'll fall loose from the page, or visa versa, in the glass. Fish out the piece of card, rinse it off. Blot it a bit with a paper towel or dishcloth, then let it air dry for 20 minutes or so, then put it between several clean paper sheets, and stack it between several books. See how it is after a day or two.

You'll be happy with your results. You'll be ready to soak them, entire page of them.

Don't sell your results without disclosing that you soaked them. Soaker haters will hate you; soaker haters are in denial about most of their tobacco cards having been soaked years ago.

Back in the day, old collectors would soak bunches of scrapbooked cards in a bathtub.

If you start out with that T206 with most of the front missing, you'll feel better about the process.

If the cards don't come loose at all, then you have them held with something that isn't water soluble. That'll be problematic.

I hope you find a BroadLeaf or a Uzit in there!!!!
Old 10-14-2022, 06:39 PM
Frank Wakefield

One more thing, the print on the pages should be unaffected by a water soak. If there's water based pen ink on the back of a page, that could dissolve in the water and tint the cards. If that problem is present, message me and I'll offer a strategy. And don't soak with alcohol or some nonpolar solvent without testing such with a bit of a page that has some of that type print on it.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:42 PM
David Herrell

Thank you. The Cy Young is definitely a piedmont, but most are so heavily glued I can’t tell. I appreciate the information. I’ll give it a shot this weekend.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:45 PM

Default Nice!

Super cool pick up there! I don’t have anything to add as far as soaking advice, but I wish you luck.

Hunting for T212 Spokane Cards
Old 10-22-2022, 10:16 AM
Ron Rice

Default Soak

Cool project. How did it go?