NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Matt Ferroni

Default Holiday Rack Packs?

I have seen a bunch of these Holiday Rack packs pop up on Ebay (the ones that have an image of Santa and Seasons Greetings written on them) anywhere from the early-60s to mid-80s and wondering what anyone's experience with them are. My understanding is they were put together by non-Topps entities second market therefore I assume they are made up of commons and unlikely to have a big hit if opened. That being said, I have seen a few mid-1970s rack packs going on Ebay with Aaron, Clemente and Ryan showing on the front so maybe this assumption is incorrect? Also doesn't look all that well protected in cheap cellophane so I doubt card grades end up super high in general (but better than years in bicycle spokes at least).

Has anyone ever bought these and found something worthwhile?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:28 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

They are crap and still being made today. They go back to the 50's, have low to mid grade cards and they will put some stars in there to make them sell. I have seen "dealers" at shows trying to say how tough it is to get a 60's or early 70's rack. I move on and don't even look at the rest of their stuff as that shows me their general ignorance.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Al Richter

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-26-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Al Richter

http://net54baseball.com/showthread....mas+rack+packs

http://net54baseball.com/showthread....mas+rack+packs
Old 09-26-2019, 12:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I almost made comment a few days ago about where is they next 'holiday rack pack' discussion going to start again..

we can just cut and paste the answers..

sort of like the NBA discussion about when a home team is up 2-0 in a series of best of 7 is it over for the other team

or for the divisional round in NFL whether a week of rest is better for the division winner versus the wild card team that played a round and isnt stale.

always the same discussion etc
Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Al Richter

They come up almost as often as threads complaining about 707, Dean and Yepdog prices
Old 09-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Matt Ferroni

Thanks for the info everyone. Have to say honestly as a new collector it’s a little bit of a turn off when you post something and have people complain that your question was old hat and could have been answered with a search. I appreciate the links to discussion that was already had and learned a great deal by reading the, but to spend the time and effort posting an eye-roll complaint I think is in poor taste to the community here. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:56 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferronibc View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Have to say honestly as a new collector it’s a little bit of a turn off when you post something and have people complain that your question was old hat and could have been answered with a search. I appreciate the links to discussion that was already had and learned a great deal by reading the, but to spend the time and effort posting an eye-roll complaint I think is in poor taste to the community here. Just my 2 cents.
And there's this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARight.jpg (19.3 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by Promethius88; 09-26-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I will actually answer what the OP asked...

A while back, I had a sizable CC gift card to play around with, so I said 'what the hey' and actually bought a pair of 1972 'Holiday Packs.' I knew it was a bad move, but took the gamble anyway, because hope is a dangerous thing. I've been collecting 1972 high numbers in PSA 9 condition (as well as upgrading the centering of my non-graded sets), and the pair I bought had both the Joe Morgan and Steve Carlton Traded cards visible with nearly perfect centering. A high grade, properly centered Morgan is one of the toughest cards to find in the set. Wicked tough. The other cards shown were high numbers as well. After opening the packs (I believe I have a video of it?), I found the cards to be as advertised. Really, really nice shape, centering all over the place and no possibility of being 9's. Perfect for a binder set. The problem was on the inside of the packs, as I knew it would be. Beneath the marquees name high numbers were low number commons, the Sparky Lyles and Alex Johnsons of the world. In conclusion, for the amount I paid, it was a complete bust. Yup, it bears repeating. Hope is a dangerous thing.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:39 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferronibc View Post
Have to say honestly as a new collector it’s a little bit of a turn off when you post something and have people complain that your question was old hat and could have been answered with a search.
I read this as "I'm too lazy to do my own research. Please coddle me." This board has been going on for 20 years or more. Do a search, find a thread, and bump it if you need more questions answered. Doing anything on the internet requires a thick skin.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 09-26-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey, Matt, when you're doing your searches, also search for how to employ the 'ignore' function so you don't ever have to slog through the posts of dipsh_ts here.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:39 PM
Matt Ferroni

Yeah I’m staring to learn it’s the same people over and over. Definitely don’t appreciate being called lazy and I don’t need a history lesson on the integrity of the message board. It’s supposed to be fun and connect people maybe even make friendships. I appreciate all the positive vibes from most!
Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Matt, it may not be to silence your questions in favor of a search, but rather to give you even more background and other peoples perspectives than the ones posted in your thread.
In this particular case Al is one of the most generous people you'll meet in many ways, but especially in sharing knowledge. You can't be expected to know that and I know it seems like you were being shot down (I've been there, as I suspect we all have) but considering the source I think it was an effort to give you as much possible information as one could find on your query.

I"ll add that Xmas racks are fairly worthless IMO, and other than a novelty item in a display I would not place any value on them other than for the handful of commons they contain. And suspect the commons you can't see in there are worse than the ones you can.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 PM
Al Richter

Thanks Anthony. I think Matt and I are good
Old 09-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

There was a guy at the National that had a whole table full of them. Dozens and dozens of them. I even kinda looked behind his table a bit to see if I could find the raw materials he was using to make them.

I was surprised to see them there, but he was only charging a few dollars for them. So for folks who wanted to spend a couple bucks and "open" packs with old cards in them, no harm no foul. But as they are not original manufacturer's packs, and are not even period pieces, I think they are novelties at best.
kevin
Old 10-03-2019, 07:54 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I have a 55 Topps rack pack I bought from Mark Murphy about 20 years ago with Willie Mays on the back... Have always assumed it was one of the legit ones...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Al Richter

Murphy and Mathews ( see correspondence above) claimed that they came upon on a stash of them back in early 2000s. They said the cards were excess Topps cards that were obtained by a 3d party who packaged them for sale in retail stores at Christmas. I think the packs Murphy started selling originally were from 54 to 63. Later 52s and 53s surfaced.Now you see them into the 70s

Were there some packaged in the 60s or 70s or even 80s, or were all of them later creations ? I have not come across anyone who can conclusively say they bought them in the 60s or 70s or 80s at some retail store. Nor is is clear who was the original packager and how they got the cards ( from secondary market or Topps)

None of the cards seem mint, but some look to be in the 5-7 range

I find the interesting from a hobby history standpoint. Who originally packaged the ones Murphy sold, when did it occur, where were they originally sold ( if anywhere) and what was the source of the inventory used ?

There is no doubt they are still being churned out today. Is it being done by the same person(s), or a new group, or possibly multiple groups ?

I just find the lack of clarity on the origin and ongoing history of these things interesting and am surprised no one has ever come forward with the whole story, if there is one

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-03-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Curt

I have never looked any deeper, but several seller accounts (may have been linked or the same owner) are selling them currently. All of the locations seem to be Canada of the ones I see come up. I only took notice because the s/h is higher than "normal". I decided that I would buy one of each year showing Garvey on top as a novelty, knowing full well they were made in the recent past. I am not convinced otherwise, given the seemingly endless supply, that they are not being made fresh as they are being listed either.

They all have stars on top in heavy quantity, which just screams "made intentionally and recently", as the random factor seems to have been removed from the equation.

Anyway, tried to get them for under $10 delivered or as close to it as possible, which is more than the raw cards inside are probably worth in most cases. It seems the asking prices are up a bit lately though, some around $10, others around $20 now for those I see. I stopped buying them after getting most between 1971-1980.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:21 AM

I only have this for funsies...they would grade from 6 to a solid 8. This is actually now mounted on my wall with other psa graded 59 packs. but it was a fun thing just to have. I got this a while back :-)

The reality is they are not topps created...they are well known to be packaged in the 80's....great for fun but i have not seen one opened where there is a legit good card hidden. What you see is what you get essentially. I can tell you they are real cards and at least in my case unaltered from what i can tell under a loop and taking measurements.

Mantle.jpg

Last edited by rlorenz; 10-04-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Al Richter

Do you have a source for the “known”packaged in the 80s. They are obviously still being packaged today, and Murphy did not surface them until the early 2000s, but I have still not seen any concrete info on when they were first packaged, by whom, or where they were actually retailed ( if at all )
Old 10-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Any thoughts to the "100 Genuine" claim in the description?

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=94957
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_94957_1_204523.jpg (57.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 AM

Bishop - I do not have a source right off hand....But here is what i do remember. I specifcally remember seeing these on ebay from Mark M in 1995. I also remember these card shows and conventions 92-93. So I could be off on my years but I do distively remember them.

That said they are for sure being made still, there is no question the only reason i got mine is it looked cool. and frankly did not cost me a arm and a leg :-)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Al Richter

In the notes above I received from Murphy and his partner Mathews both say they came across them in 2001, and their SCD ads started shortly thereafter. But they could not or would not say who they got them from, or where they came from originally, when they were packaged or where, nor could they name any stores were they were know to have been retailed at Christmas or otherwise
Old 10-07-2019, 10:28 AM

I trust your notes :-) - Bishop. I recall seeing them in the 90's for sure on ebay right around XMAS. So i recant my statement i should say the 90's not 80's :-).