NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-22-2020, 02:14 AM

Default Help with Best Way to Sell Complete Sets???

Help with Best Way to Sell Complete Sets???
I have some sets I am looking to possibly put up for sale soon.
Have 2 types…
1). Complete PSA sets…
2). Partial PSA and raw ungraded sets.

….Question is…what is the best way to sell to maximize $$$$??
I see a lot of “set breaks” (many are not even close to complete sets, but don’t see as many complete sets being sold. Is the return not worth selling as a complete set?
..As anyone who has completed sets especially in specific grades, you know the long amount of time it can take to get certain cards….and I mean not the “stars” but hard to get commons….(example on my PSA 9 1968 set…#441 Johnson…only 4 have been sold based on PSA auction records)

……Anyway, just looking for feedback, I understand the common thought is that there are thousands of people trying to build sets, so doing a “set break” would appeal to many people, where as not many people have the $$$ to buy a complete set, so obviously less buyers , less bidders.

Sets are Topps baseball ranging from 1961 to 1968, with one 1955.

Some highlights of sets….

Full PSA…
1968…..520… PSA 9’s…78.. PSA 8’s… raw average…8.85…rank based on PSA registry about #17 or so.

1962 …..93 card “green tint” variation set….33 PSA 9’s….60 PSA 8’s…average…8.40…Rank would be #1 (my calculation) (hard to figure rank because you have to look at the 1962 “super sets” to see “green tints” in PSA registry)

1966……375 PSA 8’s…30 PSA 9’s….rest PSA 7’s…average7.75….rank about #18

1955….PSA 5’s, 6’s and 7’s….Average 6.0

1962….350 PSA 8’s rest PSA 7’s…average 7.65 (if I put the variation set in, it would rank # 3 on PSA for ’62 Super Set)

1964….455 PSA 8’s….30 PSA 9’s….rest PSA 7’s….average 7.87…rank about #18

Partial sets…1961 to 1968 would be roughly about 250 to 300 PSA’s (7’s 8’s) rest would be ungraded..
(except for 1968 which is 523 PSA 8’s and rest ungraded)…not all are full completed sets.

Thanks for any info from those that have sold sets and those that provide info.
Joe Uhlarik
uhlhockey@aol.com
Old 02-22-2020, 08:34 AM

Wow some very impressive sets !
I would come up with a price and post them on this site first. You have nothing to lose. If someone offers you your price or close to it, the deal is done. No auction houses, no ebay, no commissions . Just have to be careful with receiving payment and shipping cards
Good luck in the sales ! Scott
Old 02-22-2020, 12:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Default time vs $$$

Bottom line - to get the most $$$ you are going to need to invest the most time. Any 1 of 1 highest graded cards definitely should be auctioned (Be it ebay or private house) (If the balance are to be sold as sets - these cards could be replaced with lesser grade).
Your most time efficient (will not be maximizing your $$$ - unless possibly you calculate in the value of your time) method is to find a dealer or collector willing to buy the set(s) outright - it will be at some % of retail. A higher demand set should get you a higher % of retail. You could as Scott suggested try listing on the BST for starters. No commissions on either side here.
Another option is consigning to an auction house - seems like the grades of your set might warrant them offering them as a set or individual option - netting you the best total. Downside to auctions is the buyers premium (most houses charge 20%) - While you should be able to negotiate a 0 consignment fee, any buyer is figuring in the 20% for the auction house when they bid.
The most time consuming but a likely way to maximize your $$$is to piece the sets out - sell via BST and Ebay individually cards that warrant it based on value and do small group lots of the rest.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:04 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Quitcrab and HCV123 for the responses...
good info sent and appreciate it,
Joe
Old 02-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Default Set prices from past sales

Was just wondering before paying to join VCP, if they have past sales on complete sets......or is there any other means to locate what complete sets sold for.
Thanks,
Joe Uhlarik
uhlhockey@aol.com
Old 02-23-2020, 04:49 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlhockey View Post
….Question is…what is the best way to sell to maximize $$$$??
I see a lot of “set breaks” (many are not even close to complete sets, but don’t see as many complete sets being sold. Is the return not worth selling as a complete set?
uhlhockey@aol.com
When it comes to post WW vintage complete sets vs. breaking them up, the market doesn't pay as much attention to the true breakup value as it should (especially when it comes to how top-heavy the set is, and how popular those top cards are).

If something is loaded at the top with highly liquid huge cards ('54 or '55 Topps, for example), you're better off buying the complete set or breaking it up to sell it. The opposite is true of something like '61 or '62 topps, since naturally the abundance of commons and minors in those won't sell anywhere near the way that the top HOFers will.

You'd think that the market would mostly price this in, but as mentioned, it really doesn't. I've seen '55 Topps sets sell for around just 20-40% more than a similar grade '62, but the difference in the realistic value of the two is like night and day
Old 02-23-2020, 06:56 PM

Maybe cosign them to a big eBay auction house to max your money? Probstien or Pwcc......
Old 02-23-2020, 08:06 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I would definitely NOT go that route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
Maybe cosign them to a big eBay auction house to max your money? Probstien or Pwcc......
With the all the shit hitting the fan with them and the FBI investigation and class action lawsuit - I believe many buyers (myself included) will not touch them with a ten foot pole!
Old 02-24-2020, 02:56 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, I just took a bath selling some stuff on eBay myself. Should have sent them to COMC and sold them individually (fixed price for the lower stuff, eBay auction for the cards over $50 each).
But eBay lured me in with the $20 final value fee for any auction item no matter the sales price, and I jumped at it. Probably would have doubled my money selling individually.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:07 AM

Update on posting of "Help selling complete sets"
When I listed some of the sets I had, I also listed a rank of the the set which was based on PSA set registry info.
In regards to the 1962 "green tint variation" set I had, again I only had info from PSA.
A gentlemen has contacted me and indicated he has a PSA 9 average set, and thus would be higher than mine, so my apologizes if this person was offended.
Joe Uhlarik
uhlhockey@aol.com