NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-15-2020, 12:17 PM

Default Coin-Op Card Machines

A friend of mine sent me some pictures of a German card album that contained a picture of a coin-op card machine from probably about 1960. That brought back some fond memories of buying cards out of similar machines.

When I first started collecting cards in 1967, I saw a machine with baseball cards in it for a nickel a pull. They showed sample cards of some Detroit Tigers players, since I lived in Michigan back then. I asked my dad for a nickel because I wanted a baseball card of Denny McLain which was showing on top of one of the slots. My dad told me he would give me a nickel, but that I wouldn’t get McLain, that card was just for show and I would get other players. So I put in a nickel and pulled out some cards including McLain.

I bought a card machine with quarter slots probably 10 years ago just for the fun of it. I have never done anything with it, it’s sitting on the floor and needs a little work to get it looking good, which I will do sometime. It works fine.

I'd be interested in hearing any stories other have about baseball cards, non-sport cards, or any other types of cards pulled out of these machines in your youth. Also, feel free to post pictures of other coin-op card machines in this thread.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:00 PM
Bob Andrews

My grandfather would walk me to our favorite candy store/soda fountain/newspaper stand on Flatbush Avenue when I was a kid in Brooklyn. They had a card ‘slot machine’ which I think gave you a card for a penny. I don’t remember specific cards but I know I got 61s and 62s out of it at least. I *think* it was on a table next to the candy rack. At least that’s how I remember it.

Going to Coney Island meant Exhibit cards out of machines in the arcades. Great memories.

Last edited by commishbob; 02-15-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Spelling of course
Old 02-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

In 1972 I bought most of my cards in Rak Paks at a store called Coronet in Westbury (Long Island). They has a nickel vendor in the vestibule as well, right as you exited. Gil Hodges died that spring and was THE hot card in the neighborhood. I couldn't find one at all for weeks and weeks and then one day, for the first and only time ever, I stuck a nickel in the vendor, and out came 5 cards with a Gil Hodges just sitting there on top. Kismet.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1920s Exhibit machine before I redid it:

And after:

Not functional but a great conversation piece in my office reception area.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:05 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
1920s Exhibit machine before I redid it:

And after:

Not functional but a great conversation piece in my office reception area.
That looks AWESOME Adam! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:28 AM
Marty

I have distinct memories of going to our local department store (G.C. Murphys?) and putting in my nickels to get some football cards, and then realizing that the cards got older as I kept putting them in!
Thinking it started with 1971 and worked my way back to 1969 or 1968. Interesting to a 7 year old, at least!
Old 02-18-2020, 04:45 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I remember as a kid going to the A&P and they had a machine, that had a Tom Seaver card on the front. I never got a Seaver.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default machines

In the 80's and 90's, most card shops had these machines, and they sold a ton of cards. Also, many dealers brought the machines to card shows for people to "gamble " on.

I bought one as part of a collection several years ago and I sold it to a dealer at a card show. (Actually, I traded it to him for some 1971 Topps BB when I was putting the set together) He told me that he has a dozen machines. He doesn't do anything with them, he just likes them.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default duplicate post

In the 80's and 90's, most card shops had these machines, and they sold a ton of cards. Also, many dealers brought the machines to card shows for people to "gamble " on.

I bought one as part of a collection several years ago and I sold it to a dealer at a card show. (Actually, I traded it to him for some 1971 Topps BB when I was putting the set together) He told me that he has a dozen machines. He doesn't do anything with them, he just likes them.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 02-18-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Jay T.

Every time I put a penny in those machines I would get a rock in return or a Joe Shlabotnik card.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:38 PM

Related, Williams released a baseball bat game in 1991 that had a card dispenser. It is categorised as a pinball game, although it really isn't one.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3281

Last edited by Tripredacus; 02-18-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Rob

The first hockey card I ever owned came from a card vending machine outside a 7-11 in Sacramento, CA in 1972 at the age of eight.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

The K-Mart in Pittsfield had a card vending machine along with all the others. A much more modern 3 row model.

I only got cards from it a couple times. I think it only dispensed five cards, and damaged them - Not sure why that bugged me, the first couple years I was likely to do just as much as the machine did.

Oddly, I was a bit of a fan of the huge range of stickers etc sold from the same machines a few years later. Didn't buy all that often, but would usually pick up an example or two if something looked interesting.