NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default babe ruths own book of baseball

Posted By: vetekbob

I recently acquired babe ruth's own book of baseball limited edition signed from MG and waiting to receive it but I had a question that hopefully well seasoned collectors of such type items can help me out with here. As stated in the auction, the books binding is loose and a few of the first pages are loose but still complete. My question is two fold. What is the best way to go about preserving the book so that no further damage occurs? Secondly, Should I get it repaired and if so , what is the best way to go about doing such? This is my first item of this magnitude and as I said, I am not versed in book rebounding and such. I have done "some" searching on the net and really havent found a great deal on the issue of whether to rebound such items like this or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robert

Old 04-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mcavoy

I buy alot of old books.

You want to conserve and preserve fragile items like this book, or any paper items such as baseball cards. Obtain some acid-free paper/cardboard materials and construct a book box. Preferably, go to see an archivist, or someone who conserves paper, and find what they recommend as well as the estimated cost. http://www.library.uiuc.edu/preserve/procedures.html

Generally, rebinding a book of this era lowers its value, in my limited experience. However, if the rebinding is of high quality, some might find the change acceptable. But if you must know, some of the books I buy have some scholarly value to them, and I have seen hideous condition original volumes (reading copies) sell for more than finely bound volumes (rebound, usually with the bookplate of some important and well-known person) of the same titles. If the book is important and/or scarce, rebinding the book might be wise, just to preserve it. Rebinding a book tends to associate it with library copies, in my experience, thus severely limiting its desirability and thus its saleability (there are exceptions).

The book does not strike me as scarce (reprints are plenty and cheap, and the original deluxe edition with the sig. is "only" 1000 copies), but the edition and the autograph are important, so preservation is key. I found one copy for sale online, and the sales writeup suggests that not all 1000 copies were bound. If true, you could go to a great book binder and have a fine binding done; again, I'd go all out, and I'd want reassurance the signature or the book would not be materially affected, because in my very limited experience, rebinding will usually involve some paper loss. You should contact baseball book dealers since they know the market - they could tell you what rebiding the book will do to its marketability and its value. Me, I'd construct or have made a book box, and I would not read or show the book, ever. You can buy a reading copy of this title for very little money ($10).

Old 04-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vetekbob

I appreciate the information very much and I will head in the direction you suggested. Thank you for helping me out on this.
Robert

Old 04-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Robert

In case you haven't seen them, here are the dust jackets for the A.L Burt and the Putnam editions. The Burt is the reprint edition (Burt was later bought by Grosset & Dunlap) and the Putnam copies are much harder to find.

Max