NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Matt Wieder

Default Collection & Personal Update

Roughly 8 years ago I compiled a checklist of cards I wanted to target to build my "40 Card Collection" - I created a number of rules to give myself a challenge (e.g. only 1 card per issue, only the best pre-war players) and picked my favorite card within those guidelines (OK - I wasn't able to stick to 40 and turned it into an 'X Card Collection'). Along the way (as is the case with any good collector) I got distracted with a number of other collecting projects as well as created an "Other Cards" collection for cards I liked that didn't fit into my rules (they weren't in the main collection so I wasn't violating any rules - right?). The journey was a lot of fun and a number of you helped me along the way (thanks!) but I was finally able to get a single instance of every card I was after and upgraded several by mid 2013.

For a number of reasons, we decided to move overseas in the summer of 2013 (not to worry - cards are all in a safety deposit back in the US). The timing worked out well from a collecting perspective as I was at a point of closure with my collecting targets, and that plus the challenge of getting settled in caused me to kind of fall off the face of the earth as far as my card collection was concerned. Recently, I've had some time and started lurking on the forums (thanks for taking care of that whole Mastro situation!) and while I'm still not planning re-entry to active collecting, I wanted to share this update in case anyone was wondering what happened to me (or, more likely, what happened to a certain card). Plus. it gives me an opportunity to show off my "finished" collection which is a sort of brief pictorial overview of the evolution of pre-war cards (that sounds more important than it actually is).

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder Click on 'X Card Collection.'

To all my Net54 friends - glad to re-join you all!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:54 PM

Wow, Matt, it's definitely been a while. Glad to hear you are well!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Danny Smith

Great collection. Love the Rose Plank.

Last edited by Danny Smith; 02-27-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Craig Wright

Default Welcome Back

Hey Matt .. Great collection you put together .. it's a who's who of Pre-war .. Nice V100 Ruth .. Thanks for sharing
Old 02-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Clint

Great collection and good to hear from you Matt.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:10 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Great collection. Awesome signed 34 Goudey Gehrig! Always wondered what happened to that V100 Premium.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:36 PM

That satchel!!
Old 02-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Jeff

I had wondered Matt.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Great collection! Thanks for sharing it.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Matt Wieder

Thanks everyone! Good to have enough time to be back as an active board participant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Great collection. Awesome signed 34 Goudey Gehrig! Always wondered what happened to that V100 Premium.
Gary - those are probably my two favorites (at least at this moment ). Not much to say about the Gehrig; to me it is the pinnacle of Baseball Americana.

The Ruth is special. It's really tough to see the clarity from the scan because of the glare and the magnitude is shrunk to fit, but its like a HQ glossy in person (different photo below from before it was slabbed which is more how it looks in person). It was rumored there was another out there, but the only photo that ever surfaced was a very old photo of this one. It is a beautiful scarce issue of the king of vintage baseball.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:44 PM
S Gross

WOW

Love the Caramel Matty
Old 02-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Paul Lehr

Very nice collection. I've always loved the M116 Wagner but never owned one...yet.