NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Scammers in the Buy Sell Trade Section

Over the last 2 days there have been at least 2 scammers trying to get members to do deals on the BST. Neither had gotten approved and slipped in through the cracks. Be very, very careful about new members over there and ALWAYS PM me so I can look into any strangeness. Be careful over there.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:09 AM
John Donovan

Leon, maybe we need a new "BST Authentication Service". Anytime a deal is done on BST, the card has to be sent to you for "Authentication" and then you forward on to the buyer.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding
Old 02-01-2022, 09:17 AM
Chris Rudd

And maybe, Leon, you can grade and slab the deal! Let us know how much that will cost and what your turnaround time will be, please.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2022, 09:37 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Scammers

I know this may sound crazy but I think there should be a way us regular Net54 users can see these known scams after they are discovered so we can learn what to look for better. Kind of like free tuition to the School of Hard Knocks……
Old 02-01-2022, 02:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I know this may sound crazy but I think there should be a way us regular Net54 users can see these known scams after they are discovered so we can learn what to look for better. Kind of like free tuition to the School of Hard Knocks……
Not sure if this was one of them but I noticed one persons first post was trying to sell a T210 Joe Jackson. Selling that card as your first post has to be a red flag even if they turn out legit.

EDIT: looked and that person is now banned

Last edited by bnorth; 02-01-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:18 PM
Bruce Mattioli

And to think I as many of you used to trust folks and send cash through the mail.. Sad that times have changed for the worse..
Old 02-01-2022, 03:36 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Speaking of scams and keeping an eye out, is there anywhere on the boards that gives the reputation of other members? On a very similar board I watch (BlowOutForums), they have an "iTrader" page which gives feedback of transactions on the site. Is there anything similar hear? I imagine after a few years on this site, I will get an idea of who is trustworthy, but as a "newbie" on the site, it is hard to assess who is trustworthy beyond the number of posts (which is not the best indicator). As a new guy, I imagine if I engaged in a trade, I would be the first to ship which I am totally fine with, but how does a new guy know they are dealing with a reputable member?
Old 02-01-2022, 04:19 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
And to think I as many of you used to trust folks and send cash through the mail.. Sad that times have changed for the worse..
There was a time when I sent cash in birthday cards and US Postal Money orders for card purchases. About a million years ago, eBay used to let sellers take checks and money orders...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-01-2022, 04:30 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Yep. Deals were made often where the cards were mailed pre payment. I have a relationship with several here where that's still the case. Not recommending it for all! After dealing with someone for 15 years the trust has been built
Old 02-01-2022, 09:51 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post
And maybe, Leon, you can grade and slab the deal! Let us know how much that will cost and what your turnaround time will be, please.

The "Luckey Vault" has a nice ring to it...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-01-2022, 11:39 AM
Joe M.

Ha!!! Ha!,,, not so far fetched. I won’t go through the whole story. Bought a Ty Cobb T205 on ebay, sent for grading, came back counterfeit. The seller would not return my money. Fast forward 10 years, that same seller won a card I was selling on ebay. I told the story on Net54, he was member here. Outed him. Lots of action on this site. Finally the seller decided to return my money 10 years later. But we did not trust each other, came to an agreement, I sent the counterfeit card to Leon, he sent the money to Leon. Leon, the Great guy he is sent the card to him and the money to me. It was over $1000.00. Thanks agin Leon. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-01-2022, 11:55 AM
David M.

That has to be some kind of record. A refund ten years later, wow!
Old 02-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Yes, for sure.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 02-01-2022 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 02-01-2022, 02:35 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Chief Bender waited over 40 years for the Dillsburg, Pennsylvania baseball club to pay the money they owed him from a game in 1901.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 02-01-2022, 02:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Ha!!! Ha!,,, not so far fetched. I won’t go through the whole story. Bought a Ty Cobb T205 on ebay, sent for grading, came back counterfeit. The seller would not return my money. Fast forward 10 years, that same seller won a card I was selling on ebay. I told the story on Net54, he was member here. Outed him. Lots of action on this site. Finally the seller decided to return my money 10 years later. But we did not trust each other, came to an agreement, I sent the counterfeit card to Leon, he sent the money to Leon. Leon, the Great guy he is sent the card to him and the money to me. It was over $1000.00. Thanks agin Leon. Joe
I don't even remember that, Joe. But I am glad I could help. There are probably a few more stories out there....

The most time I gave a refund was 2 yrs...to a forum member. He got mad at me and said he didn't know it was the wrong guy on the card....it was Daffy Dean and he said he thought it was Dizzy...so I refunded him. I think he was banned before that. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Last edited by Leon; 02-01-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:37 AM
J@E R1T0

Default Leon's Grading

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post

Hi Leon, Can you also employ a reduced cost grading scale using only grades 5-10 so that I can trick buyers into thinking their grade 5 is actually EX and their 9 is actually a "mint" card?

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:59 PM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Hi Leon, Can you also employ a reduced cost grading scale using only grades 5-10 so that I can trick buyers into thinking their grade 5 is actually EX and their 9 is actually a "mint" card?

and purple stickers....gotta have purple stickers....
Old 02-03-2022, 01:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
and purple stickers....gotta have purple stickers....
LOL, now that is funny.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:27 PM

I am completely new here, and joined because of an eBay seller telling me they could negotiate but only source of contact they would give was here.

I have messaged them on here several days ago but haven't gotten any response, I am new to forums such as this period so maybe I did something wrong, I am not sure...

At any rate, I joined a few days ago and have just enjoyed browsing conversations on the vintage and the knowledge, so thank you for having me!
Old 02-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblesandballcards View Post
I am completely new here, and joined because of an eBay seller telling me they could negotiate but only source of contact they would give was here.

At any rate, I joined a few days ago and have just enjoyed browsing conversations on the vintage and the knowledge, so thank you for having me!
Welcome Aboard - Great Group here.........
Old 02-04-2022, 06:43 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblesandballcards View Post

I have messaged them on here several days ago but haven't gotten any response, I am new to forums such as this period so maybe I did something wrong, I am not sure...

Welcome to the board. I am sure if you contact Leon or a moderator they could help you with contacting the member. Any chance you have a OPC Gretzky RC w/blue lines?

Member since 2009
Old 02-04-2022, 07:45 AM
Ian H@ll

Caveat emptor:
- the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

It's right at the top of the Buy/Sell/Trade sections. I had never heard that Latin phrase before, and had to look up what it meant. It's usually fairly easy to sort out when someone is legit. Personally, when I see a card for sale that I think I want, I do have to remind myself to slow down and just go over some basic details that help rule out some of those red flags.

I've only been a member here for 6ish years, and I've made ~20 deals. Nothing but good things to say about the collectors here.
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906

Last edited by rugbymarine; 02-04-2022 at 07:45 AM. Reason: edit: typo
Old 02-04-2022, 09:01 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
I've only been a member here for 6ish years, and I've made ~20 deals. Nothing but good things to say about the collectors here.
Well I haven't been as fortunate as you have, but for the most part I agree with you.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:15 AM

Now that you can't sort cards by era on eBay, BST here is pretty much my only source of cards. It's not worth wading through 6000s copies of cards from that 1991 set that uses Conlon photos.

And while I've done fewer deals here than some, I've still done plenty. And have never had a problem.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Welcome to the board. I am sure if you contact Leon or a moderator they could help you with contacting the member. Any chance you have a OPC Gretzky RC w/blue lines?
I do not, I only own a Topps Gretzky
Old 02-05-2022, 04:15 PM
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 02-05-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The MO on these scammers is they generally won't have any posts or very few. They will have joined in the last 30 days, usually much less. One just tried to scam a member today or yesterday. Scammers id was/is Davehunk107.

Many of the names and id's recently, of these scammers, have "dave" in them....I hope Dave is having fun LOL.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:46 AM
John

There's a HAL 9000 joke in there somewhere.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC
Old 02-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1129 View Post
There's a HAL 9000 joke in there somewhere.
Open the BST doors, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 02-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Jim M.arinari

Dave's not here, man.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:06 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Open the BST doors, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I hope HAL doesn't keep out all the Daves.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 02-07-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:44 PM
Al Stein

If you click on someone's user name, you can see how many posts they have made and how long they have been a member. There is also some personal info there about them. (If they don't fill it out that's a clue.)

You can also click on their user name to send a private message. You can ask them for references.

Leon is doing a good job at dealing with the scammers but we all should be doing our own diligence before we buy. And then if we still want to buy the card from that guy who just joined Net54 yesterday (because it's a $900 card the guy is selling for $200) then that's our choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2022, 05:14 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
You can also click on their user name to send a private message. You can ask them for references.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It's not fool proof, but I do enjoy members who put successful transactions in their signature line.

I also do reference checks occasionally. I mostly buy Reds stuff, and I have asked other Reds collectors if they've don't business with XYZ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-30-2022, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
It's not fool proof, but I do enjoy members who put successful transactions in their signature line.

I also do reference checks occasionally. I mostly buy Reds stuff, and I have asked other Reds collectors if they've don't business with XYZ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Please continue to be careful. Today, and almost daily, there are trolls on the BST. So far every scammer has had very, very few, if any posts, and has just joined. They seem to have a brother with all of the cards!! LOL

Last edited by Leon; 03-30-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:48 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Please continue to be careful. Today, and almost daily, there are trolls on the BST. So far every one has had very, very few, if any posts, and have just joined. They seem to have a brother with all of the cards!! LOL
Still the same MO, huh?. Well, obviously they don't read the front page or they would have changed it up.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This morning, just now, I received a PM from Howard C (hi Howard)., He had been contacted by someone saying their ID is Moonlight Graham. Unfortunately for him I have registration info on file and he IS NOT moonlight graham.

So the new scam seems to be telling a member they are an id that they aren't in order to scam them. Please be checking with me on ANYTHING in the BST areas that just doesn't seem right. Caveat Emptor!
Old 04-10-2022, 08:37 AM
Jay Shumsky

I received a pretty quick response to my email back to the person who had contacted me. He didn't answer any of my questions about the card other than to say it was in "a good condition" and he didn't provide a net54 ID. However, he did say he would accept PayPal G&S. Definitely will be passing on this offer.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:49 AM
Drew W@i$e

I go by this motto... if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

Be careful and ask for references.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:51 AM
Adam

Jay,

Similar occurrence for me. No posting history, card was not in his possession, did not provide his name, but was happy to accept PayPal G&S.

In all my time on here I had never encountered a scammer until about a month or two ago, and just had this person today. The last guy seemed like a fraud so when I asked him to “coin” the card I think he photoshopped a coin on to the card.

Adam
Old 04-10-2022, 10:15 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
Jay,

Similar occurrence for me. No posting history, card was not in his possession, did not provide his name, but was happy to accept PayPal G&S.

In all my time on here I had never encountered a scammer until about a month or two ago, and just had this person today. The last guy seemed like a fraud so when I asked him to “coin” the card I think he photoshopped a coin on to the card.

Adam
Coining a card doesn't make me feel anymore secure. Facetime is better than coining. Don't understand why people don't use Facetime instead.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Coining a card doesn't make me feel anymore secure. Facetime is better than coining. Don't understand why people don't use Facetime instead.
As for on this forum, the 1st question to these scammers should be what is your Net54baseball user id? That is a 100% certain way to weed them out, especially if you check with me too. And be careful they don't use someone else's id. If you are doing a deal they should give you their full name. Then it's just a crosscheck...

Last edited by Leon; 04-10-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:12 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Paypal G&S??

Something that stands out to me with my interaction as well as the 2 others posted - these guys were willing to accept Paypal G&S - How do they get away with that?

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:15 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I received a pretty quick response to my email back to the person who had contacted me. He didn't answer any of my questions about the card other than to say it was in "a good condition" and he didn't provide a net54 ID. However, he did say he would accept PayPal G&S. Definitely will be passing on this offer.
This guy has emailed me 4 times asking if I am still interested in the card even though I didn't respond to him after he first answered me and didn't provide any more information or his net54 ID. I'm surprised he's being so persistent.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:25 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
This guy has emailed me 4 times asking if I am still interested in the card even though I didn't respond to him after he first answered me and didn't provide any more information or his net54 ID. I'm surprised he's being so persistent.
Request that he pp/ffs you one dollar to show good faith, then tell him thanks for the buck for the time it took to read his emails.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-13-2022, 09:25 PM
Bob C.

Why not someone tell this guy they don't have a Paypal account, and ask if you can just send him a check instead. If he bites and actually gives you an address, you can act real surprised and tell him that you have a real good friend that lives near him, and instead you could simply have your friend stop by to drop off the cash for you and pick up the card at the same time. See what he thinks and says to that. And if he still plays along, you can actually try to get him to give you a time for your friend to drop the cash off.

Now if he hems and haws about not wanting to meet someone in person, you can reassure them not to worry, your buddy just happens to be a local cop so he should have no qualms about meeting up with him.

Hopefully that will get the point across!
Old 04-23-2022, 07:44 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

Steven Hurley - stevenhurley92@gmail.com - just offered me a T206 Evers Port, SGC 8 for “$1850 (negotiable)”.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:09 PM
Al Stein

Are there really people buying on BST without checking references?

I guess that's a rhetorical question because obviously there are.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2022, 05:30 PM

Another member mentioned Jack Corrigan as a suspicious actor further up on this thread. Well, Jack Corrigan responded to my post (WTB: 1985 Topps Tiffany set) a few days ago via email (not PM) simply with "How much are you willing to spend?" Interesting way to engage a potential buyer, I thought. I responded and we arrived at a price, which, not coincidentally, was the I said I'd be willing to pay. He probably would've agreed to any price I said. We went back and forth for a couple of days and the exchange got sketchier and sketchier. When I asked him for his Net54 ID he couldn't provide it b/c he "wasn't able to log in at that time." He sent me Venmo information with a different email address. I suggested we use PayPal Goods and Services (and he agreed, oddly enough) but when he sent me his PayPal address it was yet a third different email address. Anyway, keep an eye out for this guy.

Also, re: PayPal G&S, are you fully protected through that if you don't receive what you paid for? The fact that he was willing to go that route, had me wondering.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoff122 View Post
Another member mentioned Jack Corrigan as a suspicious actor further up on this thread. Well, Jack Corrigan responded to my post (WTB: 1985 Topps Tiffany set) a few days ago via email (not PM) simply with "How much are you willing to spend?" Interesting way to engage a potential buyer, I thought. I responded and we arrived at a price, which, not coincidentally, was the I said I'd be willing to pay. He probably would've agreed to any price I said. We went back and forth for a couple of days and the exchange got sketchier and sketchier. When I asked him for his Net54 ID he couldn't provide it b/c he "wasn't able to log in at that time." He sent me Venmo information with a different email address. I suggested we use PayPal Goods and Services (and he agreed, oddly enough) but when he sent me his PayPal address it was yet a third different email address. Anyway, keep an eye out for this guy.

Also, re: PayPal G&S, are you fully protected through that if you don't receive what you paid for? The fact that he was willing to go that route, had me wondering.
I am sure that person was a scammer. I do know that many of us on here use multiple email addresses. As an example just 2 days ago I done a deal with a member and both of us use our wifes Paypal. Then I know some that use both personal and work email addresses so just using multiple emails in itself is fairly common on here from my experiance.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:49 PM
Bradley Holt

Default Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoff122 View Post

Jack Corrigan just contact me via email with scans of a 52T Robinson asking me "how much are you willing to pay?". told him to PM on this site (still no reply). did a quick search on google and this thread popped up. Just another scammer...