NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
John Manning

Default Mile High Cards -- an apology

In a post several days back, I observed that eBay had notified me that a '34Goudey Grimm, won from Mile HIgh Cards in February, was at last being sent to me in early May. I wondered if Mile High always took so long to complete a transaction. (See "Mile High action ... after three months?")

After most helpful and courteous email exchanges with Mile High representative Ben Gassaway, I agree that, in fact, the card was sent the day after I paid for it, and picked up at our post offics a few days later.

(The only record that might time my reception of incoming cards is via the feedback I leave. But I couldn't get that far back in feedback time to check on the card.)

In any case, I offer my sincere apologies to Mile High Cards, and thank them for their courteous help in straightening the matter out.

THE END!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Steve Murray

BZ

Let's bump it.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldprofessor View Post
In a post several days back, I observed that eBay had notified me that a '34Goudey Grimm, won from Mile HIgh Cards in February, was at last being sent to me in early May. I wondered if Mile High always took so long to complete a transaction. (See "Mile High action ... after three months?")

After most helpful and courteous email exchanges with Mile High representative Ben Gassaway, I agree that, in fact, the card was sent the day after I paid for it, and picked up at our post offics a few days later.

(The only record that might time my reception of incoming cards is via the feedback I leave. But I couldn't get that far back in feedback time to check on the card.)

In any case, I offer my sincere apologies to Mile High Cards, and thank them for their courteous help in straightening the matter out.

THE END!
So let me see if I understand this correctly. You bitched out a company thinking you didn't get a card when if fact you had already received the card and just didn't know it?

I buy a lot of stuff but I generally keep track of what I buy and when I get it. I certainly don't wait months to ask where my cards are and I certainly don't bitch about a company without checking with them first (which it seems you did after the fact).

It's a free forum, but you should be ashamed about this whole mess and at least you had the balls to come back and apologize publicly.

James G
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Oh for God's sake give the guy a break, he was confused by an email notification he got from ebay.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Jim D

I agree, no need to persecute the guy, he made one mistake....

It's nice to see someone man up!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM
MikeHealer

Wow! I thought Bob handled an embarrassing situation rather admirably.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Oh for God's sake give the guy a break, he was confused by an email notification he got from ebay.
Agreed. James G's reaction here seems to be a little over the top emotional.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Jon Canfield

Agreed - glad everything was straightened out and an appropriate apology was made. Nothing more you can ask from either party.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Al

Default Mhc

Always a rough crowd here on the net 54!! Some people seem to go into the attack mode with posts like this. I also agree I think Bob handled it very well . Made a mistake manned up and moved on ! Good for you Bob
Old 05-11-2010, 05:51 PM

Default I would like to nominate James Gallo as...

the only perfect human being on Net 54.....there may be others, but I am not
aware of any yet.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forazzurri2axz View Post
aware of any yet.
Far from it but this seems like a very silly mistake that could have been handled a better way by contacting the company before you go public and make a big deal out of it.

I know that he manned up and did the right thing and he gets my respect for that but considering the type of stuff that sends people off the deep end on this board, it seems like no one is bothered by the fact that a company was bad mouthed for no reason at all.

Since I own my own business I know how I would feel if someone did that too me. I also know that the first post got a lot more attention then this one and people tend to always remember that negative, rather then that a guy made a mistake people will just remember that Mile High sent a guy his card 3 months late.

I also wasn't 100% clear on if I understood what he was saying.

So if I am being emotional I think I have a good basis for it.

James G
Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Read his post. This is what he received.
1934 Goudey #3 Charlie Grimm PSA 5 EX (190371729756)
Paid on Feb-14-10
Shipped on May-07-10 Price: $55.00, Qty: 1 $55.00
Estimated delivery: Varies*
. You can contact the seller for more information. US Postal Service Priority Mail -

He obviously did not have a specific memory of receiving the Grimm, he likely buys a lot of cards, so he assumed from the ebay notification that Mile High had just shipped the card. You are wrong to attack him ("you should be ashamed about this whole mess" is what you said). You are doing the very thing you accuse HIM of.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Read his post. This is what he received.
1934 Goudey #3 Charlie Grimm PSA 5 EX (190371729756)
Paid on Feb-14-10
Shipped on May-07-10 Price: $55.00, Qty: 1 $55.00
Estimated delivery: Varies*
. You can contact the seller for more information. US Postal Service Priority Mail -

He obviously did not have a specific memory of receiving the Grimm, he likely buys a lot of cards, so he assumed from the ebay notification that Mile High had just shipped the card. You are wrong to attack him ("you should be ashamed about this whole mess" is what you said). You are doing the very thing you accuse HIM of.
Peter how do you figure.

I buy a lot of cards and I don't remember when and if I have gotten every card. If I have doubt I check first I don't publicly attack someone without bothering to check with them and my own collection/inventory.

Is this not what Bob did, he acted and posted in this public forum first before checking with Mile High?

I as a buyer MUST have some accountability before publicly attacking someone.

I don't give a rats ass about what email ebay sends me, you have to use your own head and logic before acting.

What exactly am I doing beyond pointing out that a unnecessary mistake was made on a public forum. Therefore incorrectly defaming a auction company that has its profits greatly based on it's public reputation, which could be damaged as a result of an unnecessary mistake. Which was made because some leaped before they looked and didn't do the appropriate checking before publicly posting about it.

I am not sure what is wrong about that, but it certainly seems that I am the only one that feels this way and if that is the case I will just shut up about it.

I am glad that Bob was able to correct the situation and I give him a lot of respect for manning up to it.

James G
Old 05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

The way I see it, you are publicly attacking HIM, saying he should be ashamed of what he did, when all he did was make an honest mistake relying on an ebay notification, which everyone but you apparently thinks it was legitimate to rely on. Anyhow, we just see this one differently, I guess.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled T206 backs, conflicts of interest, Chicago vs. the Board, etc.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

It seems to be the MO of many on this forum to post first before thinking of the implications or impact it has on those they are posting about. I have made this comment many times and it is always ignored. At least Bob came back and had the eggs to set the record straight. That is a great deal more than I can say about many of the others. The board needs more people with Bob's character.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

It can take years to build a good reputation...and minutes to destroy it. I believe that a person owes a very high level of care before making a public declaration.

Last edited by Robbie; 05-12-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:28 AM

I agree with James' point. Why let the facts get in the way of a good opportunity to slam someone? I would hope the "Slam first, ask questions later" approach isn't one I would use. Oh well, Live and learn. I consider Mile High a quality run auction house. I've bought from them many times and never had a problem of any sort.

Scott (ubiqty)
Old 05-12-2010, 06:49 AM

I love this message board
Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

In fairness to James, I've only been on this board for a month, and I think it's a very "powerful" board, especially because there are a lot of people here who spend big bucks at auctions and consign frequently to auctions also. For example, in the Heritage "Slow Delivery" thread, someone from Heritage posted to defend themselves, and try to make sure that other people who posted in that thread got their stuff delivered. In the Mear's thread where a consigner didn't like how he was treated, reps from Mears had to respond directly and indirectly. And I'm sure it was similar in the Mile High thread, where it was brought to their attention that someone was unhappy about slow delivery, so they contacted the poster to resolve the issue. If a similar post was done on the Collectors forum, I don't think anyone would notice. So if people have legitimate complaints, all the better to post here. However, because this board can have a lot of influence, still might have been better to check if you got the item already before the post went out. Still, an apology was made, and definite kudos to Bob for trying to make things right.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Bob's a good guy and James is a good guy. Sh%t happens.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Bob's a good guy and James is a good guy. Sh%t happens.
Thank goodness there not great guys
Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Lichtman as peacemaker?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Al

Default apology

Please Please gentleman this is a civil matter!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
Thank goodness there not great guys
Well, exactly. They're not great guys -- which means honest mistakes were made.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Lance G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forazzurri2axz View Post
aware of any yet.
AHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....AHHHH....HAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....HAHA......HA.

Ummmm. This amused me.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM

I agree with Glchen. This board is extremely influential, because many of the guys on this board are the clients of the auction houses. And, these auction houses wouldn't be in business if not for these clients. And of course the last thing an auction house wants is controversy on this board.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I agree with Glchen. This board is extremely influential, because many of the guys on this board are the clients of the auction houses. And, these auction houses wouldn't be in business if not for these clients. And of course the last thing an auction house wants is controversy on this board.
Actually, probably the last thing an auction house wants is to be the target of a federal investigation.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Lance G.

Default On a more serius note:

If you are going to publicly repremand an auction house, individual, or group of any sort, you had better be able to defend your claim on this board. Don't come to the battle unarmed... The mass of knowledge and wisdom here will overcome you if you fail in preparation.

Other than that, I commend Bob for having the guts to apologize on the open range. I am sure he was embarrassed by the situation. It takes a lot of character to admit you have made a mistake and even more to do it here. I am sure a lessen was learned, both the original mistake and the mistake that this group could be understanding of his err. James Gallo made a few good points, but his approach leaves little to be desired.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Barry Arnold

Default bob m

i've known bob manning as a scholar and a gentleman since my undergraduate days at Davidson when he was in the early years of his
distinguished professorship there.
i have had excellent bst transactions with James Gallo.

i feel confident that things are already mending between them.
anything otherwise would not make sense.

best,
barry