NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-22-2021, 01:47 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Default Ultra Pro Platinum page issue

I buy the Ultra Pro Platinum pages. I was loading my 57 and 61 sets that I'm building in the pages. After a while, I noticed that the seventh pockets were dished in and it made the cards take on the shape of the pockets. I immediately took them out. I noticed in the binder that they all curved up and wouldn't lay flat. Anyone have the same issues? Are there any other pages that are good and flat?
Old 07-22-2021, 03:57 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I have noticed my pages are bending at the bottom of the binders as well. I have taken to storing all of my binders on their backs instead of on their sides. I use the same sheets as well as some older Ultra Pro sheets as well.

I don't believe it is a problem with the sheets specifically as much as it is a problem with the sheets not being supported all that well when the binders are in an upright book type position with the spines facing outward. JMHO.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:43 PM
Doug Goodman

Instead of binders, I use Itoya portfolios for my sheets.

https://itoya.com/products/presentat...-art-profolio/

Doug
Old 07-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Eric Perry

The quality of Ultra-Pro toploaders has been diminished as of late. I *think* their raw materials and/or production processes have been subpar for the past year or so. The pandemic *may* have been a contributing factor.

This is purely anecdotal, based upon a few dozen personal observations.

On a related note, I wish there were packs of toploaders out there that weren't curved. The ones at every store I've visited in 2021 - and those I received from two different online sellers - were similar.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-22-2021, 06:29 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I put a one pocket page every 30 pages or so with a cardboard backer in it. It helps support the pages. I’ve had mine stored for years and never had any sagging issues.

Alternatively, you can store your binders flat (but then can’t/shouldn’t stack them) or I’ve seen them stored vertically with the spine up (which isn’t terribly attractive to look at on a shelf, imo).
Old 07-22-2021, 08:41 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I've done a couple of things to combat the 'sag' which is especially prevalent when the binder is not filled with cards/sheets to it's width.

One idea which is not quite so appealing to the eye is to alternate which direction the binder is facing. Put one with the binding on the outside (which most folks do) and the next one with the binding towards the back. That way they stack together like wedges.

The other thing I'll do is put some type of padding or foam in the front of the binder so that the front lays flat when it is laid on its back - the binder is 'full'.

The worst thing for binders is for the binder not to be full and give the pages room to sag or wave.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 07-22-2021, 08:48 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I recently went through all my albums, and found several creased cards in 9-pocket, 6-pocket, and even 1-pocket sheets; all due to the pages sagging. It's really a problem with all sheets, regardless of the number of pockets, not just Ultra-Pro.

You basically have to over-stuff the albums, and then make sure they are packed tightly together on the shelf, so there's no way for the pages to sag.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 07-23-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:07 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Thanx for the feedback everyone.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:02 AM
Jim

I found that storing the albums with spine up and pages hanging down - gravity keeps them all from bending and impacting cards.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:10 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I find thick page lifters placed front and back in the album help avoid that sag.

Last edited by toppcat; 07-23-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I find thick page lifters placed front and back in the album help avoid that sag.
I take 8.5 x 11 document pages and stick a backing board in it to make a thin but effective flattener and I put them in a few places in each album including front and back. That seems to help. Plus I don't use traditional binders, I use Unikeep clamshell binders with flat rings so there is never any unnecessary gap between the cards and the cover.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-23-2021 at 11:14 AM.