NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-18-2021, 02:25 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default My 2nd trip to the Dallas show was this weekend ... my thoughts

Short post:
I spent $275 at the Dallas show yesterday on everything posted below!

Long post:
Went to the Dallas show yesterday. This was my second show (first one in January or February, whenever it was). This wasn't nearly as busy with collectors. I guess it might be because the National is in a couple of weeks. But lots and lots of dealers. I didn't think there were 750 tables, as it was advertised to be. But they had 3 rooms of dealers, plus others lined up in the hallways.

I can't tell you how many kids I saw walking around with these new graded brief cases. I can't believe how many kids are now in the hobby. That's a good thing, but it seems they're into the newest, hottest stuff and not vintage. There were a bunch of guys with vintage, mostly graded. I don't like or deal in graded vintage at. all. I'm strictly raw guy who likes to put his sets into notebooks.

As far as players/sets, I saw a nice 1935 National Chicle complete set, and the same guy had 1948 and 1949 Leaf and Bowman football sets too. Lots of baseball sets as well. Saw a couple of guys with nice graded T206s. One guy had probably 8 1952 Topps Mantle second year cards. Another guy had PSA graded RCs of all of the big stars (PSA 8s and 9s of all the big names like Aaron, Banks, Brooks, Unitas (in football), etc. etc. Lots of great cards. Also, I overheard/saw probably 6-7 people asking for Jackie Robinson cards. I think he's going to be the next big name to take off (and I didn't buy a single one of his).

I wound up spending $275 and came away with all of this. My goal for the day was to find a nice Mantle LL, WS or multiple player card, another big card (this case a 1959 Topps Mantle that's creased, and I'm not sure I'll keep it) and then some stuff for my 1958 Topps set. I also ended up getting a 1962T card of a guy I know personally (Bob Allen), and that'll end up going into my 1962T set eventually. Other than, I just had fun.

Most of the time, I go through quarter, 50 cent and $1 type boxes with intent to resell, and I never end up reselling the stuff. This time I went with a goal/mission, and I left feeling good about the trip. I felt like I accomplished something. I'm not going to be able to go to The National, so this was kind of National.

Anyway, thanks for the lengthy read, and here's what I came away with. Again, it all cost me $275.

Pair of Mantles:

Stuff for my 1958T set:

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:41 PM
Johnny

Nice haul for $275! Did you get all/most of those 58's from the same seller?
Old 07-18-2021, 04:45 PM
Tom

Was everyone - especially the kids - following COVID rules?
Old 07-18-2021, 04:52 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I got the Bunning and 52T (not pictured) from one dealer, got 59T Mantle, Spahn, Mays AS, Williams AS and Doby from another dealer, Bombers (Mantle), Martin, Cepeda, Vinson RC and Drysdale from another, OC Pinson from one (for $3, haha) and Slaughter, Robinson AS, Kaline/Kuehn, Mays/Snider, Yankees TC, Dodgers Boss/Power and 62T high # (not pictured) from yet another.

I found 3 dealers with commons. Got everything pictured from one, and I had about 100 different picked out from the other seller. They were marked $3 apiece. I asked if he could do any better, and he said they booked for $8 apiece and wouldn't do any better. He said he was already coming past half off BV and wouldn't want to go any lower. I politely put them down and walked away. When I asked the other if he'd mind pulling out the box of 58s, he did so. I then asked how much they were apiece, and he pulled out a Beckett and said $8-$10. I didn't even look at the commons he had.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 07-18-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:04 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Myself and maybe 20-30 others were wearing masks. But most of the hundreds there weren't and weren't following 6 foot guidelines. I got bumped into several times. I tried to do my part by wearing my mask. I just hope it worked. I had Covid in December and don't want it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
Was everyone - especially the kids - following COVID rules?

Old 07-18-2021, 06:01 PM
Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I also ended up getting a 1962T card of a guy I know personally (Bob Allen), and that'll end up going into my 1962T set eventually.
If I recall, he is the guy who wants something like $100 for a TTM signature. Any insight on what his deal is? Clearly he wants nothing to do with fan autographs if he is charging $100+ a pop. Would be neat to know more, as I assume if someone ponied up the fee, he's sign something so he is not impossible like some others who just won't sign at all.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:29 AM
Albert Bee

Default show

Em,
sounds like you had a pretty good time, its nice that shows are returning !
Old 07-19-2021, 02:07 PM

Great cards ! Do you have any insight into Bob Allen and his $100 TTM autograph price? Like the above poster asked. I would be very curious on his thoughts. Easy to see he doesn't like fan mail!!! Sounds like it was a good show.