NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2021, 04:34 PM
Colin

Default Returning Cards to Heritage?

Anyone had any experience returning cards to Heritage? Thinking about buying a few things from the current David Hall auction and was wondering what my options are if the card shows up and looks worse than in the pictures. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2021, 04:39 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Heritage has huge scans, so you should bid with the assumption that you'll never be able to return anything that you win.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:52 PM

You can’t return cards to heritage or any other AH. You win, you buy. You buy, you keep. You no buy, you banned. It’s not a store, or eBay.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:16 PM
J@RR0D

*note to self: do not sell cards to cmfxa*
Old 01-21-2021, 05:36 PM

yep no returns... most AH would be happy to blow up scans for you if you ask.

Ricky Y
Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Their scans are top notch although occasionally creases arent as prevalent as in-hand.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:05 PM

Wow Chris, that is pretty a big crease not to show up in a scan... is that the Lenox? (Awesome card)
Old 01-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Yep, thanks!
Old 01-21-2021, 08:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Wow Chris, that is pretty a big crease not to show up in a scan... is that the Lenox? (Awesome card)
Happens a lot. That's why I wish sellers would disclose creases/wrinkles if they are present. Not just Heritage.... everyone. Far fewer sellers are doing it, and lazily opt only to say the grade ("PSA 4" for example).

The card itself should be more important than an assigned grade.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:05 PM
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Their scans are top notch although occasionally creases arent as prevalent as in-hand.

This is exactly the scenario I'm worried about. One of the cards I'm looking at describes some kind of light crease, but I can't see anything in the pscan and Heritage won't give me any more pictures of it. Just a gamble I guess.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:10 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Contract

Most AH's have this statement in their auction rules:.

ALL SALES ARE FINAL. No returns are accepted.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:14 PM
Joe M.

If you are not comfortible with that crease in top right corner. Don’t. Bid

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 01-21-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I don't have a horse in this race, but OMFG!!! That is some serious ass Photoshop bullsh*t!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I don't have a horse in this race, but OMFG!!! That is some serious ass Photoshop bullsh*t!!!!

That’s not good

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-22-2021, 03:00 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

I enlarged my screen to get a good look at it. I believe that was photoshopped to hide the crease. It is very blatant on the margin where it is completely gone. They did no do as great a job cloning the yellow as you can see remnants of the crease.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-22-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:48 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It also could be scanner settings, not an intentional fix in photoshop. I know I bought a card from Dean's Cards via COMC that mentioned "crease" but wasn't visible in the scan. Bought it and the crease was huge; no funny business, just an unintentionally bad scan. Got a full refund with no problems.

Remember sometimes scanners omit the 1 in "150" on the back of T206 cards. That's not manipulation of the photo in photoshop either, just unintentionally bad scanner settings.

In this case, Heritage should definitely provide better scans since the OP has asked. Sounds like something the consignor would be disappointed to hear is not occurring.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It also could be scanner settings, not an intentional fix in photoshop. I know I bought a card from Dean's Cards via COMC that mentioned "crease" but wasn't visible in the scan. Bought it and the crease was huge; no funny business, just an unintentionally bad scan. Got a full refund with no problems.

Remember sometimes scanners omit the 1 in "150" on the back of T206 cards. That's not manipulation of the photo in photoshop either, just unintentionally bad scanner settings.

In this case, Heritage should definitely provide better scans since the OP has asked. Sounds like something the consignor would be disappointed to hear is not occurring.
I can't jump to the conclusion of shenanigans, notably because I agree with the scanner settings assertion. Looking at the ridges of the slab that are on the sides and top of this example in the fine work in the post by JollyElm, it really drives it home how the light from the two scanners is so different.
That said, there's no excuse for a big auction house not to get scanner settings correct to give a very accurate image of every card.

Last edited by AGuinness; 01-22-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:54 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

HA vs in hand.

Last edited by atx840; 07-21-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:57 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Holy crap Chris! That's more than just a Deans filter enhancement, what's HA's position on that?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Dave Johnson

Starting to smell like a need for BODA investigation on Blowout..

These scans are DISTURBING!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:07 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Living in Canada it took a good month to get to me and in the interim I had made a trade that included it based on the HA scans. Well, when I got it in hand I had to call the other party (long-time collectors and board members) and send them my own images just to make sure they were aware. The deal still went through but I was not impressed.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:10 PM
James M.

Does not make me feel the best about my most recent win in their auction.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:13 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Buyer Beware As Always Nobody Other then Yourself is going to have your back in this industry. It’s the wild Wild West all the way around.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:20 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Buyer Beware As Always Nobody Other then Yourself is going to have your back in this industry. It’s the wild Wild West all the way around.
Perhaps. But I would say joining this community has been the best thing for me in the hobby in 10 years. Some upright ethical collectors here. And the sheriff kicks out the rubbish when he is alerted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-21-2021, 09:30 PM
James M.

For frame of reference here is the image that heritage provided for the card I just won. Lets hope it looks close to that. I know their shipping process takes a good amount of time, will keep you all posted.

Donscards.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:49 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A consignment auction house (that gets a fraction of the sale) paying consigners quickly and being liberal about returns is too much to realistically expect. The two are intrinsically at odds with each other, and one has to give.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:08 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I enlarged my screen to get a good look at it. I believe that was photoshopped to hide the crease. It is very blatant on the margin where it is completely gone. They did no do as great a job cloning the yellow as you can see remnants of the crease.
It's very obviously photoshopped. That's not a scanner setting, that's manual photo editing after the fact.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:27 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

I understand the situations are different but through the years I have "returned" two items I have won. I put the word "returned" in parenthesis because one I never had in hand.

The first was with Heritage. They had a framed item that hid some small print that told me if the item was legit or not. I asked my questions and showed them another of the same item with the wording well before the auction was over and they replied that if I won the auction they would then take it out of the frame to examine. If the wording was present they would send it to me if not they would agree to not hold me to my winning bid.

They took it out of the frame, the wording was not there, They still insisted the item was original, but true to their word they did not hold me to my bid. They later relisted it, noting the missing printed words, while still saying it was original.

The second was a listing in a Lelands auctions with a number of photos. I forget the exact amount. Only a few photos were shown, but the listing stated that 30% were autographed. When I received the lot nowhere near 30% were autographed. I asked to return the lot and they agreed.

As noted these are different circumstances than the OP asked about, but to say all sales are final etc. that is not always the case.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Heritage sucks!

I will never bid or consign to them again.

The worst!

REA is where it's at.

Most in the hobby know this for buying or consigning.

Dean and the REA crew are incredible!

Peace, Mike
Old 07-22-2021, 04:42 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Just to be fair, I have seen HA showed card damages (ceases) on an image taken by digital camera and they also provided images taken from scanner (not showing those ceases as much). Taking images using digital camera on a tilted angle makes a big diff..... just like Chris's Jordan brown Lenox
Old 07-22-2021, 04:59 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Crickets

Last week I left 2 voicemails for Peter Calderon (on diff days) asking him to please call me as I have a coupe of questions about 2 different lots in today’s auction. He is their “grading expert”.

Nothing.
Zip.
Zilch.
Zero.

Now I won’t be bidding on either item. It has to make the consignor(s) proud!
Old 07-22-2021, 05:36 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Last week I left 2 voicemails for Peter Calderon (on diff days) asking him to please call me as I have a coupe of questions about 2 different lots in today’s auction. He is their “grading expert”.

Nothing.
Zip.
Zilch.
Zero.

Now I won’t be bidding on either item. It has to make the consignor(s) proud!

Tell them u have a T206 Wagner consider to consign and also have a few questions about their current auction. They will call u back in 2 mins.

Last edited by chriskim; 07-22-2021 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:18 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
For frame of reference here is the image that heritage provided for the card I just won. Lets hope it looks close to that. I know their shipping process takes a good amount of time, will keep you all posted.

That is some pretty serious creasing going on in the middle of the card. I have a feeling you aren't going to be happy.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:35 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Tell them u have a T206 Wagner consider to consign and also have a few questions about their current auction. They will call u back in 2 mins.
Lmao
Old 07-22-2021, 06:40 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
That is some pretty serious creasing going on in the middle of the card. I have a feeling you aren't going to be happy.

Seems to have multiple vertical ceases from top to bottom. Hope they aren't really that bad.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:06 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
After seeing this thread, I am a little afraid of that, but absolute worst case scenario, it's an early Mantle and I shouldn't have much of a problem getting at a minimum, what I paid for it from someone else.

Initially I looked at the scans they provided and thought that I would be okay, but after seeing this thread, I am a little nervous. thought I got a pretty good deal on something that was slabbed a 1.5, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Donscards.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:09 AM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Good idea.

Back in the day when I could not reach a human to fix a cable TV problem, I called back and chose the option to buy more services. I got a person right away.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work anymore either. Its almost all completely online or automated now. Its now a complete sh*tshow.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You'd have a better chance of landing an Israeli fighter jet in Tehran International Airport.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-22-2021, 08:16 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You'd have a better chance of landing an Israeli fighter jet in Tehran International Airport.
I'm stealing this expression for the future, never heard of this one before!

Donscards.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I'm stealing this expression for the future, never heard of this one before!
Thanks. You've been a great audience. Enjoy REO Speedwagon.

Or not...
Old 07-22-2021, 10:47 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I will never bid or consign to them again.

The worst!

REA is where it's at.

Peace, Mike
Agree.... they are "cream of the crop". And same goes for Tom at REA (for memorabilia).

LOTG is also in that top-tier category... Nothing but great experiences on both the consigning and buying ends, always with honesty/integrity and no BS.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

And Sterling too.

I've also had good experiences with Clean Sweep, tho I have heard from others with troubled transactions.

Or not...
Old 07-22-2021, 10:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Agree.... they are "cream of the crop". And same goes for Tom at REA (for memorabilia).

LOTG is also in that top-tier category... Nothing but great experiences on both the consigning and buying ends, always with honesty/integrity and no BS.
I would love to see a list of all the Auction Houses. And to hear people's personal experiences. The good AND the bad. With all that is going on with my situation, I am tempted to just sell everything and leave the hobby. Would love to hear how these auction houses responded.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Bill Roberts

The hobby is a better place with you in it, Bobby. PLEASE don't leave.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:08 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’ve been around for a while and I can tell you that Chris Ivy is one of the good guys in the hobby.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:25 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
REA is where it's at.

Peace, Mike
+1. Everything about REA is world class, especially their customer service. I had an issue recently in the realm of the OP's question and REA resolved it for me very quickly and professionally. The experience only further solidified them as my favorite big auction house, by far.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 07-22-2021, 01:44 PM
Johnny MaZilli

REA is the best Agree :-)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:49 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
HA vs in hand.

Wow, I would definitely be disappointed to see the card show up with so many creases after seeing that scan.

Edd*e Sm*th
Old 07-22-2021, 01:50 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Been dealing w REA for 25+ years

I’ve been buying & consigning through REA for over 25 years.

By far and away the #1 auction house to deal with.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:25 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
HA vs in hand.

I'm sorry to all the Heritage supporters, but that is B.S! Just too blatant to ignore for me, seems like buying from them is a crap shoot based on the scans shown. A hard pass for me.

Might as well give a shout out to REA - anytime I've asked for more scans or had questions they're right on it. Even worked with me on a concern I had with a low dollar card purchased in one of their auctions.

Still can't get over the difference in those scans Chris!

Bill Roberts
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 07-22-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: full name