NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Printers marks

Small hash mark on middle side and middle top. Is this a defect in the card. My attitude has always been that if it came from the factory that way then I have no concerns. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Andy Garden

This is the BST. Buy/Sell/Trade. You'll do better on the main board with a topic like this.

Best,

Andy
Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Sean Costello

Also post a scan if possible.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Scott Levy

Without seeing the card I'll make the following comments....

Hash marks have certainly appeared on T206 cards (both proof and non-proof).

I doubt very highly that it would reduce the value --- unless the card is a super pristine '8' or higher. However, little imperfections like this have their own collectors and it may actually make it somewhat (possibly significantly?) more valuable than without the mark.

Best Regards,
Scott
Old 11-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Post a scan....

Hello

fronts...
True cross hatch marks are only found on blank back proofs...located within the white borders, 4 in total, looks like this + ...located midway in each border(check out www.t206resource.com) .......arranged to line up color during the proofing process.... the proofs are all hand cut(assuming the cross hatches weren't trimmed off during the hand cut off the proof sheet...to have a proof is truly an amazing thing.....and big $$$$

there are, on some T206, remnants of the cross hatch lines located in the white borders.....they are much more common, factory cut, and may carry some premuim...and are usually small and cut off, and perpendicular to the black lined border......

there exists alignment marks in some T206, but are different than the cross hatch/alignment remnants.....located inside the white border, but they usually run horizontal to the front frame line, and are suspended( I believe for frontal cutting alignment....also, some premium, but not real big...

then, there are "crop" marks.....they are printer's alignment marks, located on the backs of the sheets....they usually are located at the corners L T shapes at the corners....some full cropp marks are 2-3X value on the card(a few hundred bux max, depends on the extent of the mark)

sounds extremely confusing???
Old 11-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Brilliant explanation. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Snowbaron

Anytime my friend.....a lot is still theory, but this seems to be the most logical, and consensus amongst us is fairly close......

Peace

Johnny
Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

there are, on some T206, remnants of the cross hatch lines located in the white borders.....they are much more common, factory cut, and may carry some premuim...and are usually small and cut off, and perpendicular to the black lined border......
Here are two examples (one along a horizontal border and another along a vertical border) of what Johnny is talking about.

In my limited personal experience, these were fairly easy to find. With less than 60 T206 cards, I already have four with marks like this. Jimmy Dygert and James Lavender are shown above. Frank Chance (Portrait, Yellow, mark on bottom border) and Jimmy Slagle (left border) are the other two.

Best,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Eric....

Thanks my friend! perfect examples
Old 11-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

This mark is similar to what you folks are talking about but somewhat more pronounced and in both directions. These look like registration marks to me. Anyone have an opinion?

Also, an admin may want to move this thread to the main board?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Waddell Port_0001.jpg (50.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (35.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 11-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Default looks like....

an alignment mark for sheet cutting....or to align blue.........I had a phillipe with a similar in top border....Johnny D has it now
Old 11-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
This mark is similar to what you folks are talking about but somewhat more pronounced and in both directions. These look like registration marks to me. Anyone have an opinion?

Also, an admin may want to move this thread to the main board?
Agreed...an admin moving this thread to the main forum would be nice. I shall PM Leon with this suggestion.

Regarding the printer marks on the card you showed, I noticed something. There is a vertical mark along the top edge which looks similar to the black marks I showed earlier. There are also very interesting vertical and horizontal blue marks which should make for an interesting continued discussion.

Sending a PM to Leon now...

Best,

Eric
Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Those are remnants of the registration marks found on the proofs.

Originally there would be one on each border for each color. They help lay out the plates if it's being done by transfers as I believe it was. Then the marks are erased. If they're not erased completely there will be a mark. Usually just the small ones, but once in a while there's a larger mark leftover.

Here's two different Batch cards, one with what looks like just black and blue marks, the other with black, blue and pink.

I have a Cravath with a good sized remnant in red on the right side, but I haven't scanned it yet.

Steve B
Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 PM

Horizontal line in white upper border
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img687.jpg (43.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg img688.jpg (7.8 KB, 36 views)