NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Who is this Old Judge player?

Posted By: Tom L. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3277668848&category=31719&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Anybody know?

Old 03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom L.

Apparently the experts aren't going to respond until after the auction, as they are all clearly going after it.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

A future Barry Sloate auction consignment.
Just hope the new board moderator delete any "rockeythebulldog" new thread asking to bid on that auction.

FOR GOD SAKE MAN, use the B/S/T thread like everyone else, you're not different!

Old 03-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Looks like Oberman made someone pay dearly for that cards.

Jay

Old 03-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

Pretty sure the team is Pittsburgh. Uniforms match many of the Pittsburgh players (Barkley, Bishop, etc.).
A recent Old Judge auction for an N172 Barkley, Pittsburgh even had the same background images as this card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2790078081&category=31718

It looks a little like Bishop, Pittsburgh except the ball in the Bishop cards is white.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

The player is Dailey-Indianapolis. The uniform is a Boston uniform with the "BOSTON" whited out since Dailey moved from Boston to Indianapolis after the 1887 season. His 1887 card is with Boston; his subsequent cards are with Indianapolis. I have the 1889 card with exactly the same pose with the name, team and position at the bottom which is how I identified the card. As a side note I have seen alot of dumb purchases on ebay but this has to rank near the top (or at the top) of the list. The card is interesting since the name was omitted but there are plenty of cards that fall into that category. Interesting to me means it is worth a little more than a common, which Dailey certainly is, not $3000+.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

I guess one could say "Merkle's Boner" just wasn't strong enough to win this card.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Jay,

When you write "there are plenty of cards that fall into that category" exactly how many do you mean? 5? 10? A couple dozen? Or is this just a guesstimate on your part?

Old 03-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Paul-

The new moderator (i.e., me) isn't entirely clear about your request, but he thinks he gets it...

Posts about collecting OJ's will always get a huge amount of latitude, as the moderator recognizes this as a medical condition. Collecting them, that is.

Bill

Old 03-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Correct me if I'm wrong... Rocky is Jay and buying_sgc_cards is Brian from BMW after reading the comments from his feedback... I was trying to bid 1250.00 as a last second snipe... I could not belive it would not take my bid! There are less than 5 of these cards in my most humble opinion...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

who won the N162s, same seller, same closing time. or are these, too, overpriced?

Bill, you are certainly not in error calling N172s a medical necessity--or whatever you called them! If I wasn't going to be disected by the University of San Francisco Medical School, I'd probably be buried with mine...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

JC,

I too have seen very few of these...as a result, I didn't feel that a standard multiplier really applied (as it would for say Brown's Champs, spotted ties or Player League cards). Therefore, I didn't have a problem paying a high amount (my actual bid was $5K).

I think it's a fantastic card. I was happy to have won it.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Yes, I agree... Does that mean you are going to stay off the next one that gets listed? Us poor folks try to use Ebay as a flea market where you can find GEMS at bargin prices... You'll be in business if Jay Miller gets with Bob lemke and educates him on the Old Judge values for the ones without any names for the 2005 book.

Old 03-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I would guess that there are about 10-15 players who have post-1887 cards without the name/team/position banner at the bottom. I say post-1887 because obviously the 1887 script series was intentionally made without this banner.I believe the post-1887 cards without banners were a mistake and at least some if not most were corrected to include the banner. The most common such card is Werrick who I think appeared on ebay over the last month or two with very little fanfare. As I said in my prior post I think this is an interesting card and I hope it makes an enjoyable addition to your collection.