NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

Posted By: runscott

I almost bid on this card, but the seller provided extremely detailed scans, which stopped me. Am I wrong about this card being trimmed?

I had a "NM" CJ Reulbach that I sent to SGC and it was returned as trimmed. I suspected as much - CJ's are printed on very thin paper. Fortunately there is very little variance in size so it's fairly easy to identify trimming just by measuring. The Reulbach was thin; otherwise, I couldn't have spotted the trim. This Bresnahan is straight on the right side, but veers up on the left - it's easy to see on the front as well. Maybe it's an optical illusion? In any case, I've trimmed off the slabber's i.d. at the top so no one will have any idea who the grading company was...duh.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

Posted By: jay behrens

left side does look very suspect as it fits snuggle against the edge at the bottom but there is a noticable gap when you get to the top.

Jay

Old 03-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

Posted By: s.slacks

This is really, really close. Is the scan of the front more telling?

Do you think the seller would let you buy it with funds held in escrow until it successfully crosses over to SGC?

I would think that as long as you don't specify a minimum grade, a reasonable seller would agree to that.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

It was around $280 with two minutes to go, then jumped up over $600. I noticed that most people I know who purchase high-grade slabbed vintage HOF'ers stayed away from this one, presumably for the same reason I did. The card just sold on ebay, but I don't have it book-marked. I didn't post the front scan, but it looked much worse than the back - I thought it was a scanner problem with the front (wavy in the middle), so I just posted the back scan to be fair.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

I've tried this query with raw card auctions before, asking if the seller would let me pay the grading fee and use eBay escrow service holding payment while it's authenticated in an express service. Usually I get responses like "no need money asap having transplant operation" or something like that. That means time to walk.

With a graded card, I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to the seller and give them a chance to sell it at the winning price (assuming you win the auction), only asking that they stand behind their card's authenticity. If SGC doesn't green light it, they get the card back in the PSA slab and are out the selling fees. You're out the grading fee, but get your bid price back.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

How could you possibly expect someone who has a $600 card slabbed by the grading company of their choice to agree to give you a refund if YOUR grading company (not theirs) rejects it? ...common sense...

Old 03-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

and I was offered a fair price for the card, I'd have no problem waiting a week for payment. Either you belive in your card or you don't.

And just because you own a card in a PSA holder doesn't mean that it's the grading company of your choice.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Default CJ Bresnahan

Posted By: jay behrens

People buy slabbed cards because it is suppose to ensure that the card is legit and undoctored. As a seller I wouldn't be willing to do this even though I stand behind everything I sell (I will never be in this position beucase I will never own a PSA card again, or if I do find a card I want cheap, it will immeditaely be craossed over to SGC), and as a buyer, I am going to steer clear of a slabbed card if it is questionable.

Jay