NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-11-2021, 06:12 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Default Bill Terry Bat

A co-worker of mine is in the process of moving and came across this bat. He thinks it was made for the mold for Terry's bat. It has the date 4-14-34 and Bill Terry Ntl lea possibly in grease pencil. If anyone would have any information on this bat that would be great. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (73.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail2.jpg (78.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (76.9 KB, 207 views)
Old 07-12-2021, 04:44 AM

It's a lathe bat. Was used as a template for creation of new bats of that particular model for Bill Terry.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:26 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Tim,

Thanks for reaching out. Are these rare? I can’t find anything else like this?
Old 07-12-2021, 07:37 AM
M@rk Lu7z

They are not common, that's for sure. It's an interesting piece that collectors might want to have to illustrate the bat making process. On the other hand, there's no reason to believe that Terry ever touched the bat, let alone used it to hit a baseball.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:48 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Would this also be considered side written? Or just a lathe bat?
Old 07-13-2021, 06:18 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladge34 View Post
Would this also be considered side written? Or just a lathe bat?
If someone sold me a bat that he said had Bill Terry side-writing, and he sent me this bat, I would want a refund. It's a lathe bat with Bill Terry's name on it. Side writing is important because it places a game used bat in the hands of the specific player. A lathe bat never left the factory, as far as I know.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:40 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Mark, thanks for the reply. Bats are not my expertise, I’m just doing a little research each day. But I found this on PSA’s website.

Side Writing
Refers to the writing, usually in grease pencil, on the barrel of a bat, written by a manufacturer employee, to document the receipt of a bat by a player, in making future player bats in the same or similar specification. When legible, the writing will indicate the player who shipped the bat back to the manufacturer, the city/and or team name, the league of the team, and the date the bat was received at the factory. Side written bats are usually found on bats of the pre
model number era.

By no means do I think this was game used. But according to psa, it has the players name, the date, New York, and ntl league all in grease pencil. There are no other markings or branding on it. I can’t find anywhere that to be side writing, it has to be game used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
If someone sold me a bat that he said had Bill Terry side-writing, and he sent me this bat, I would want a refund. It's a lathe bat with Bill Terry's name on it. Side writing is important because it places a game used bat in the hands of the specific player. A lathe bat never left the factory, as far as I know.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:58 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladge34 View Post
Mark, thanks for the reply. Bats are not my expertise, I’m just doing a little research each day. But I found this on PSA’s website.

Side Writing
Refers to the writing, usually in grease pencil, on the barrel of a bat, written by a manufacturer employee, to document the receipt of a bat by a player, in making future player bats in the same or similar specification. When legible, the writing will indicate the player who shipped the bat back to the manufacturer, the city/and or team name, the league of the team, and the date the bat was received at the factory. Side written bats are usually found on bats of the pre
model number era.

By no means do I think this was game used. But according to psa, it has the players name, the date, New York, and ntl league all in grease pencil. There are no other markings or branding on it. I can’t find anywhere that to be side writing, it has to be game used.
The PSA statement is saying that side-writing is the grease paint writing on the side of a bat that was shipped to the factory by a player. If there's side-writing on a used bat, it's assumed that this player whose name appears used the bat. Srictly speaking, what you have is not a bat. It is a lathe bat. It was not shipped by player to the manufacturer to serve as a model for future bats. H&B would not oridinarily ship a bat out until the ends were carefully turned and smoothed. H&B made the lathe bats in their factory in order to use them to turn actual, useable bats on a lathe. That is why I would say that you (or your friend) have a lathe bat with identifying writing on it, but I, at least, would not call it a side-written bat. Of course, I know that this is merely how I understand things.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Mark, thanks for taking the time to explain your side. I appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Justin

As a point of reference here is a copy of my PSA LOA for a Frank Crosetti lathe bat I just recently picked up.

PSA calls it "factory side written" in grease pencil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2021, 06:41 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Justin, thanks for the photo. Really cool bat as well! Thanks for the help
Old 07-14-2021, 11:00 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome piece! Think of it as the "template" or "mold" for a bat used by Bill Terry. I have a similar Duke Snider example, and it's always a great conversation piece when people come over to view the collection.

Very nice!
Old 07-15-2021, 12:56 PM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Mark, thanks for the reply. So I finally got the back story to how this was acquired. So in the late 80’s my co-worker was working for Sporting News. They wanted to write a book on the genealogy of bats. They had a meeting with guys from Louisville and because of the records being kept by hand, they found out the task was too much for them. While there, OUTSIDE!!! Was a piles of bats, and he thought thousands, just stacked up. The very first bat he picked up was this Bill Terry bat. He asked to keep it and got the go ahead. He said in the pile were lathe bats and game used bats, some still with stamps on them.

Imagine what was in that pile! So much history! I wonder what Louisville did with that pile. Anyone who would have worked there during that time, would love to hear from you.