NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-15-2023, 08:20 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Here's my copy of the Gibson/McLain signed SI. I got Gibby at the Tuff Stuff show in 1999 and Denny in 2007 at a store in Chesapeake, VA. I had not asked Denny to add his record to his signature, but he did anyway with a line under it, as if to say "Gibson wasn't the only one to have a great year in 1968."

I'll try to get some more uploaded as I've got about 250 signed SIs, including some tough Steeler covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I doubt McClain would even care. I think McClain would sign his mugshot without blinking an eye.
I am sure that as long as he was getting paid for it, he wouldn't care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gibson McLain SI2.jpg (163.4 KB, 434 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-15-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I doubt McClain would even care. McClain was at a show and I was getting all four of his covers signed. Given that the player has to the right to reject any item, I questioned whether he would sign one of the covers. I placed the covers with Kaline and Gibson on top with "Baseball's Big Scandal" on the bottom. When he got to the scandal magazine, I said "Sorry, I collect SI Covers", without missing a beat McClain said "No problem, they will write anything to sell magazines." No lie. I went home and read up on McClain's woes. Interesting story. I think McClain would sign his mugshot without blinking an eye.

If the variation is out there, (I hate to use the word) but it would be a rare one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Here's my copy of the Gibson/McLain signed SI. I got Gibby at the Tuff Stuff show in 1999 and Denny in 2007 at a store in Chesapeake, VA. I had not asked Denny to add his record to his signature, but he did anyway with a line under it, as if to say "Gibson wasn't the only one to have a great year in 1968."

I'll try to get some more uploaded as I've got about 250 signed SIs, including some tough Steeler covers.

I am sure that as long as he was getting paid for it, he wouldn't care.
Obviously, I can’t get Gibson now because he’s passed on, but can still get McLain on the 1993 cover. He signed his other three covers at shows without problem for me. The scandal cover from 1970 is one of my favorites in my entire collection.

250 signed SIs? Man, I’ve gotten more of 100 of them, most coming since 2019 and I’d have love to get every one I possibly can.

Last edited by Topps206; 06-17-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:15 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
Obviously, I can’t get Gibson now because he’s passed on, but can still get McLain on the 1993 cover.

250 signed SIs? Man, I’ve gotten more of 100 of them, most coming since 2019 and I’d have love to get every one I possibly can.
As a rule, I don't get covers signed that I can't complete. It would just bother me. I have the 7/5/2010 cover signed by Johnson and Jiminez. Should have could have, wish I would have taken the mail order option at one of Halladay's last shows, but I figure he would be around again and again. Nope. Now, I have a magazine that is 2/3 signed forever. I am at 233** signed covers (baseball only) and it is getting harder to add covers to the collection. If I can manage to get there, I might stop at 250. In years past SI would have 10-12 baseball covers a year, thus far in 2023, just two covers. Plus the players on the covers now usually cost well over $100 a signature. No way, I add Big Papi to the cover collection at $200+ a throw. The days of seeing players like a Andy Etchebarren, Frank Lary or Johnny Callison grace the cover of SI are long gone.

** not completely true, of the 233, one cover is signed by Brandi Chastain and another by Jennie Finch. Hey, I am human. Both are cool covers and Jennie is holding a bat.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:16 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
** not completely true, of the 233, one cover is signed by Brandi Chastain and another by Jennie Finch. Hey, I am human. Both are cool covers and Jennie is holding a bat.
You get a pass for those two.
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Something a little different is this SI advertising poster based off their April '88 cover with Bill Ripken....I had Bill sign/date it many years ago & it now hangs in my office:

The cool thing is that I had got two of these posters from SI's ad agency & I gave the other one to a friend who is a pastor, who got his framed as well and hangs in his office to this day.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:57 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Something a little different is this SI advertising poster based off their April '88 cover with Bill Ripken....I had Bill sign/date it many years ago & it now hangs in my office:

The cool thing is that I had got two of these posters from SI's ad agency & I gave the other one to a friend who is a pastor, who got his framed as well and hangs in his office to this day.
Nice poster! I have the magazine signed. Billy has always been a good guest. He signs the magazine and the handler asks "if I want the item authenticated." "I respond, "no thank you" and Billy replies "He knows how much my signature is worth." lol

I have never seen the poster. Was the poster only available through SI?

Last edited by Huck; 06-16-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:57 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
I have never seen the poster. Was the poster only available through SI?
Yes, I got mine from someone who worked for their ad agency
Old 06-17-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
As a rule, I don't get covers signed that I can't complete. It would just bother me. I have the 7/5/2010 cover signed by Johnson and Jiminez. Should have could have, wish I would have taken the mail order option at one of Halladay's last shows, but I figure he would be around again and again. Nope. Now, I have a magazine that is 2/3 signed forever. I am at 233** signed covers (baseball only) and it is getting harder to add covers to the collection. If I can manage to get there, I might stop at 250. In years past SI would have 10-12 baseball covers a year, thus far in 2023, just two covers. Plus the players on the covers now usually cost well over $100 a signature. No way, I add Big Papi to the cover collection at $200+ a throw. The days of seeing players like a Andy Etchebarren, Frank Lary or Johnny Callison grace the cover of SI are long gone.

I feel like I look at it differently. Sure, I would like to complete a cover, but any cover with a signature counts for me as being signed.

I really want that Billy Ripken cover. Where did you get yours?

I do have a rule, however, if a player is on a solo cover or is on a cover with others, I’ll get the solo cover first, that takes top priority. This goes for all sports, such as me getting McLain’s solo covers first, getting Dave Parker’s, Graig Nettles’ and George Foster’s solo covers first, too.

So, when I graphed a signing in Evansville in January, I passed on McLain for his fourth cover, Darrell Evans for his shared cover with Greg Gagne, Foster’s shared cover with Rod Carew and also Nettles’ shared cover with Goose Gossage in favor of Nettles’ solo cover, his 1987 Topps and Foster’s solo cover.

I got Ron Blomberg on his cover from 1973. I can’t complete it because Bobby Murcer is deceased, but I count it.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:19 PM
d.ean

Quote:
I feel like I look at it differently. Sure, I would like to complete a cover, but any cover with a signature counts for me as being signed.

I do have a rule, however, if a player is on a solo cover or is on a cover with others, I’ll get the solo cover first, that takes top priority. This goes for all sports, such as me getting McLain’s solo covers first, getting Dave Parker’s, Graig Nettles’ and George Foster’s solo covers first, too.

So, when I graphed a signing in Evansville in January, I passed on McLain for his fourth cover, Darrell Evans for his shared cover with Greg Gagne, Foster’s shared cover with Rod Carew and also Nettles’ shared cover with Goose Gossage in favor of Nettles’ solo cover, his 1987 Topps and Foster’s solo cover.

I got Ron Blomberg on his cover from 1973. I can’t complete it because Bobby Murcer is deceased, but I count it.
I like the Murcer and Bloomberg cover. Murcer died before I would have attempted completing that cover. I would have wanted to get Murcer first. I will try to complete multiple-player covers if I can get the harder players first (ex. 1968 - Bench the rookies cover). Did TTM on three of the five signatures. Tracked down Cisco Carlos (owns tile/furniture place out west). Don Pepper is a regional manager for Bob Evans restaurants. Tracked him from NC/SC to some place up north. Alan Foster just sent to his home address. A collecting friend got Torrez for me and I got Bench. Tough cover to get all 5, but it can be done! Nettles solo cover is okay, but the cover with Goose is pretty slick (have both).

I would have to check my database on the exact date but MAB Celebrity out of NJ used to promote a ton of shows. MAB used to do theme shows which were great. If memory serves, Billy was a guest at one of the MAB shows in Maryland. If Billy appears in the area and I attend the show, I would be happy to get the cover signed for you.

Last edited by Huck; 06-18-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:55 AM
d.ean

Quote:
March 8, 2008 in Baltimore, Maryland at the MAB - Ironclad Authentics Signature Showcase show. I got signatures from Billy Ripken, Tony Perez, Harmon Killebrew, Reggie Jackson and Ernie Banks at the show. Billy the only signature on a cover, the rest of the signatures were on Perez-Steele postcards.

Last edited by Huck; 06-20-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:30 PM

Behold my newest addition, and I absolutely love it.

Rick Mount runs a shooting camp a couple days each June and July in his hometown of Lebanon. So, I'd reached out via email and text and we worked something out. Today was the first day of the camp, and he told me to come by around 3 p.m. (I actually got there earlier, this place is north of Indy). I had to then turn right back around and get to work in the evening.

He also signed a Purdue jersey for someone, but the SI cover stole the show afterward. People were asking me where I got it. It was on eBay and I got it last Christmas in hopes of doing exactly what I did today. Someone asked if they could take a picture of my magazine after he had signed it, and there must've been three or four people in all who took a picture of the signed cover.

Rick was the very first high school athlete to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Huck, I kindly would love to take you up on such an offer. Thank You. I'd have to buy the Ripken cover online, but I want to thank you for such an offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8111.jpg (66.0 KB, 411 views)
Old 09-30-2023, 06:57 PM

I went to the Music City Collectibles Show today, added Chris Sabo and Jevon Kearse. I’ll be back tomorrow for Atlanta Braves Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB22F26C-F94D-41D7-999C-92956D2A6588.jpg (194.6 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg AA342B0A-B1AE-4F9C-B37B-6D879A51589A.jpg (194.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2120 (1).jpg (34.9 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2140.jpg (32.4 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by Topps206; 10-01-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:00 PM

I get there today, and I'm not happy with how it's ran, but I have fun walking around. Darrell Evans shows up an hour late, if not more. I've got a low ticket for him, but my gosh, he's talking his life away with everybody he's signing for. And, something I've never seen before, some people walk up to him from behind his table. He completely stops his signing session, and he stands up and talks to them for five or 10 minutes, taking a picture with them, while all of us are just standing there in line waiting for him, and I'm not the only one who was frustrated. But, he was nice enough when it was my turn.

From there, it's all smooth sailing, as Ryan Klesko is literally the next table over and he's outgoing, but moved a lot faster.

So, that's another four SIs added to the collection this weekend, to go along with two from yesterday.

Sabo and Klesko are my favorite adds from this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2175.jpg (79.0 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2185.jpg (99.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2181.jpg (99.0 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2184.jpg (78.2 KB, 359 views)
Old 10-23-2023, 08:43 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Added 3 covers at the CSA show this past weekend. Got Pete to finish the cover with Banks and then added two Billy Ripken covers.

Pete was looking very frail.

McLain was supposed to be there all three days but he was a no-show the entire weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1632.jpg (229.1 KB, 329 views)
1954 Bowman (-5)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 10-23-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Added 3 covers at the CSA show this past weekend. Got Pete to finish the cover with Banks and then added two Billy Ripken covers.

McLain was supposed to be there all three days but he was a no-show the entire weekend.
I wonder why McLain no-showed?

Those look great. Pete is 82 years old, was just in Nashville, now CSA and is going to to be at a couple of shows in November.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:17 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
I wonder why McLain no-showed?

Those look great. Pete is 82 years old, was just in Nashville, now CSA and is going to to be at a couple of shows in November.
McLain has cancelled several signings lately. He was supposed to be in the 'Forward Area' all three days. That is where athletes/actors set up on their own and collect $$ directly. Not sure what is up with Denny.
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 11-26-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
McLain has cancelled several signings lately. He was supposed to be in the 'Forward Area' all three days. That is where athletes/actors set up on their own and collect $$ directly. Not sure what is up with Denny.
McLain was there yesterday in Cincinnati at the Moeller Show, despite me not seeing him advertised.

So, I took a three-hour trek to Moeller yesterday for their Thanksgiving show for the second year in a row, with three new SIs added to the collection.

First was Pete Rose, by far and away the biggest attraction, but cheaper at $60 than I've seen him at other shows. I waited well more than an hour, as the VIP line was separate from the regular line. It's absolutely among my absolute favorites in the collection. There are a few other covers I wouldn't mind getting signed by him, but the cover of his I got signed was my favorite.

A few hours later came Will McEnaney and Clay Carroll. It was actually McEnaney who initially drew me to wanting to attend the Moeller Show, as he doesn't really sign by mail and I haven't seen him appearing at a show before, not any that I've paid attention to. It'd be nice to get Bench to complete it, though I know I'd also like to have Bench on a solo cover, too, since, when push comes to shove, I'll choose individual covers over solo covers.

Carroll was right next to McEnaney, and one of the later additions to the show. I've had a liking for this cover for a while. Hopefully, I can add the others, which consist of Gary Nolan, Jack Billingham and Don Gullett. Technically, 100% completion is impossible, because the pitcher obscured by Carroll throwing is the late Clay Kirby.

I had a blast, and will look to add to the SI collection in the next month or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4362.jpg (69.5 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4380.jpg (115.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4381.jpg (146.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4373 (1).jpg (147.9 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4366.jpg (171.5 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by Topps206; 11-26-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:48 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
McLain was there yesterday in Cincinnati at the Moeller Show, despite me not seeing him advertised.

So, I took a three-hour trek to Moeller yesterday for their Thanksgiving show for the second year in a row, with three new SIs added to the collection.

First was Pete Rose, by far and away the biggest attraction, but cheaper at $60 than I've seen him at other shows. I waited well more than an hour, as the VIP line was separate from the regular line. It's absolutely among my absolute favorites in the collection. There are a few other covers I wouldn't mind getting signed by him, but the cover of his I got signed was my favorite.

A few hours later came Will McEnaney and Clay Carroll. It was actually McEnaney who initially drew me to wanting to attend the Moeller Show, as he doesn't really sign by mail and I haven't seen him appearing at a show before, not any that I've paid attention to. It'd be nice to get Bench to complete it, though I know I'd also like to have Bench on a solo cover, too, since, when push comes to shove, I'll choose individual covers over solo covers.

Carroll was right next to McEnaney, and one of the later additions to the show. I've had a liking for this cover for a while. Hopefully, I can add the others, which consist of Gary Nolan, Jack Billingham and Don Gullett. Technically, 100% completion is impossible, because the pitcher obscured by Carroll throwing is the late Clay Kirby.

I had a blast, and will look to add to the SI collection in the next month or two.
Very nice; I really like the Rose cover. Reds fan here also.
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 11-27-2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Very nice; I really like the Rose cover. Reds fan here also.
Thank you, but in case you’re implying I’m a Reds fan, I’m actually a Cubs fan.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:30 PM
d.ean

Quote:

All good covers. I have the Bench/McEnaney cover signed by both players. I have quite a few Rose covers but can't recall if I have that specific cover. I have always liked the spring training cover but when Kirby died, I would not be able to complete the cover. Gullet will be tough. Does not appear at a ton of shows. Got him on the Bill Purdom "Big Red Classic" lithograph at the Big Red Machine MAB show in NJ. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2023, 07:43 PM
d.ean

Quote:

I have always liked the rose/banks cover. When Banks was a guest, there were always other items with a higher priority. Missed opportunity.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I have always liked the rose/banks cover. When Banks was a guest, there were always other items with a higher priority. Missed opportunity.
I consider missed opportunities with a lot of my collecting. I didn’t get really into SIs until mid-2019. So, I have a lot of people who’ve made the cover of SI on other items and am trying to change that now….
Old 12-01-2023, 07:43 AM
d.ean

Quote:
I consider missed opportunities with a lot of my collecting. I didn’t get really into SIs until mid-2019. So, I have a lot of people who’ve made the cover of SI on other items and am trying to change that now….
I had not planned to go down the SI rabbit hole but an extra ticket for Fisk at a 90's Tuff-Stuff show and a dealer with the 1972 SI Fisk cover (Four for the Flag) for sale........

Last edited by Huck; 12-01-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I had not planned to go down the SI rabbit hole but an extra ticket for Fisk at a 90's Tuff-Stuff show and a dealer with the 1972 SI Fisk cover (Four for the Flag) for sale........
That’s not a bad one to start with.

Now, I hope to spend the rest of my life collecting SIs.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:55 AM

Merry Christmas, everyone. Here’s my favorite present I got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73B42FEA-2D3A-429A-9A90-A19555919BC4.jpg (187.6 KB, 205 views)
Old 12-26-2023, 02:19 PM

Can anyone use a Box of 100+ issues from 1981-85 for just $50?
Old 12-27-2023, 06:58 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmays24 View Post
Can anyone use a Box of 100+ issues from 1981-85 for just $50?
What is the overall condition of the issues? Mailing label or news stand copies?
Old 12-28-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
What is the overall condition of the issues? Mailing label or news stand copies?
Condition is nice with labels.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:49 PM

I went to Night of Memories in Evansville, and boy, did I feast.

I'm going to go with solo covers over covers with multiple people on it when push comes to shove, but no solo cover guests actually appeared at this event.

Don Mattingly is $130 everywhere else, was $65 for this. Tony Perez I think was priced at $79 not too long ago somewhere else, he was $50 at this event.

Now, I just need to get Darryl Strawberry, but I'm not paying $80 for him. I saw him doing an appearance in Nashville a couple of years ago for $50. That I could be more okay with. I'm loving that Mattingly autograph, my first one of his.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6553.jpg (97.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6559.jpg (60.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6556.jpg (82.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:29 PM
d.ean

Quote:
I went to Night of Memories in Evansville, and boy, did I feast.

I'm going to go with solo covers over covers with multiple people on it when push comes to shove, but no solo cover guests actually appeared at this event.

Don Mattingly is $130 everywhere else, was $65 for this. Tony Perez I think was priced at $79 not too long ago somewhere else, he was $50 at this event.

Now, I just need to get Darryl Strawberry, but I'm not paying $80 for him. I saw him doing an appearance in Nashville a couple of years ago for $50. That I could be more okay with. I'm loving that Mattingly autograph, my first one of his.
I have always liked both covers. Can't get Hendricks so the WS issue is a non starter for me. Great price on Mattingly. $80 seems high for Strawberry.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I have always liked both covers. Can't get Hendricks so the WS issue is a non starter for me. Great price on Mattingly. $80 seems high for Strawberry.
I know you and I are different, but as long as there's at least one signature, I consider it as part of the collection.

No kidding, but I've seen Strawberry's prices at $80 a lot recently. He used to be much cheaper, wonder if inflation has played a part in that.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:42 PM
d.ean

Quote:
I know you and I are different, but as long as there's at least one signature, I consider it as part of the collection.

No kidding, but I've seen Strawberry's prices at $80 a lot recently. He used to be much cheaper, wonder if inflation has played a part in that.
The price will vary by promoter and the location of the show. On the east coast Mattingly will cost $130-$150 all day long. Strawberry needs to wake up. He at best is a $35-$50 any item guest.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:52 PM

Quote:
The price will vary by promoter and the location of the show. On the east coast Mattingly will cost $130-$150 all day long. Strawberry needs to wake up. He at best is a $35-$50 any item guest.
Is he the one setting the prices, though?
Old 01-27-2024, 05:17 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Picked up a couple today at a local card show where McLain and Means were signing. Both seemed like nice guys - I chatted with Means about his coaching the RBs at UNC and McLain just kept on signing his cover without me asking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2034.jpg (211.7 KB, 80 views)
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:35 PM

Great covers. Nice work.

I saw Means was appearing, would love to get him someday if he’s ever by me.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:28 AM

I've been tired and busy, so now I've got a chance to share my pickups from graphing NBA Crossover on Sunday.

You had to download the NBA Events App, and they'd give the schedule of who was appearing each day. I saw Dominique Wilkins was appearing Sunday and knew I had to go, having randomly bought his SI from eBay last year in anticipation of one day getting it signed. Little did I know it was going to be this past weekend at Crossover in Indy.

Then I saw Bill Walton was appearing on Friday and was bummed out, but what do you know? I saw on Friday he got added for all three days. So, I scurried over to my nearby card shop, where a bunch of SIs are available for sale, and I picked one of his covers up for $5.00.

The only thing it cost me was $35 for an adult admission ticket, with autographs being absolutely free.

If I had my choice of Walton covers to get signed, I can't say it'd be my first choice, but it certainly does the job and I like it a lot to get it signed for free by a legend.

Wilkins, I was very happy to finally add his cover.

I had a blast shooting hoops at different stations, got my picture taken with the Larry O'Brien Trophy (and I'm fortunate to have had my photo taken with all four trophies from the four major North American sports leagues in my lifetime), took a picture of myself inside the Hoosier bus next to a cardboard cutout of Gene Hackman and also with life sized bobbleheads of Tamika Catchings and Reggie Miller.

It was a blast, way more fun than I would've had just paying for these at a show. I'd reckon I saved a good $90-$100 on Sunday by going.

I'm not sure what could top an experience like that as a collector and fan - maybe if Michael Jordan knocked on my door, gave me all 50 of his SI covers and signed them all for free right before my very eyes, something that wouldn't happen in a million years. But it would take a lot to beat the experience I had Sunday. I'm not sure I'll ever cease to smile thinking about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8441.jpg (36.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8462.jpg (69.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-06-2024, 07:40 PM

I had a four-and-a-half hour trip to Westerville today, just outside of Columbus, where I met former Ohio State linebacker Andy Katzenmoyer. I saw an SI available online for $135, he was only $25 today.

I told him he should be in the College Football Hall of Fame and he thanked me.

Also, stay tuned. I'll have another posting/update this month for my next addition. I've now got 121 in my collection between in person/TTM/purchases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (149.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Topps206; 04-06-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

I took a vacation day to go to Louisville today. Well spent.

I found Will Wolford's 1994 SI cover at the card shop a couple of weeks back, and decided to try to do something different and pay him a visit to where he works now. I went to the receptionist, and after a few minutes, someone told me to come on back and told me to wait in a room. I told him I was there for something later in the night and asked if he'd be kind enough to supply his John Hancock for my SI, and he was gracious and took a photo. He couldn't have been nicer, nor could have the other workers there.

After spending some time at the Louisville Zoo and a nice meal in downtown Louisville, I head on over to Carmichael's Bookstore in Louisville and wait more than an hour for Kentucky Basketball legend Jack Givens, who is famous for being the Most Outstanding Player of the 1978 Final Four and scored 41 points in Kentucky's National Championship Game. I knew he'd sign for me, but I also knew he was going to talk for an hour and then do his book signing. A lot of people turned out and went to another room for him to talk.

I greet him by the front door and tell him who I am, that he agreed to sign for me and would love to hear him talk, but I have an hour-and-a-half drive back and an early day at work tomorrow, and he was so kind enough to sign and take a picture. So, I'm tickled pink.

I didn't pay a single penny for Wolford or Givens.

I also recently got back a sending to a Michigan signing for Steve McCatty, who signed his 1981 cover that featured him and five other Oakland pitchers. I know Matt Keough has passed, not sure how I'll be able to track down Mike Norris, Rick Langford and Brian Kingman. Not bad for $10 and they sent a COA.

Three new signed covers, plus Andy Katzenmoyer earlier this month. Heck yes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1381.jpg (177.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1387.jpg (177.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1484.jpg (183.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1480.jpg (126.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1380.jpg (105.4 KB, 4 views)