NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Default Buck O'Neil hospitalized at 94

Posted By: Bob

It appears that he is now resting comfortably. If he should happen to pass away before being enshrined in the Hall of Fame, I am going to personally get on a plane to Milwaukee, find Bud Selig, and kick the frigging crap out of him.
For all he has contributed to Baseball, not just Black Baseball, as a player, manager, major league scout and good will ambassador, put him in Selig and quit screwing around!

Old 08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Selig didn't vote on the election, but feel free to kick him in the butt for me too, just on general principles.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Selig was reported last month to be "pondering" adding Buck to the shrine. If he spends as much time "pondering" this as he did "pondering" the use of steroids and HDH under his watch, the player strike, the All-Star game debacle a few years ago, etc., we are in trouble.
On another note, I heard that a resolution was recently passed by a legislature (don't know if it were a State or Congress) to have Buck inducted immediately. Oh well....

Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I was lucky enough to hear Buck speak in person, along with Ken Burns, at a promotional event for the PBS Baseball series. The event was held at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences theater in North Hollywood. Buck held the capacity crowd in the palm of his hand. Unforgetable.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

nobody deserves to be in the hall of fame more than buck! it is amazing that MLB could find a "panel of experts" devoid of brain and heart. his election was such a "sure thing" the HoF even had him as a speaker at the induction ceremony.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi TBOB,
I'll buy the plane ticket. Buck is a class act who deserves better from Selig and baseball in general. Jackie may have been the one to break the barrier, but without "MEN" like Buck, that would have never happened. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for one of the games greatest ambassadors.

Be well to all Brian

Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I bet if people started a petition and/or a boycott of the Hall of Fame till they put him in then they would make the right move. Its ridiculous with him at such an advanced age and so deserving that he doesnt get to enjoy the enshrinment while he is still alive.It really is a travesty and its getting alot of attention nowadays....all of it negative

Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

John

The "boycott" has started....attendance at this year's ceremonies was weak,
relative to recent years. I go up to Cooperstown every year on HOF week;
so, I can tell you this 1st hand.

The largest attendance in recent years was when Richie Ashburn and Mike Schmidt
were inducted. There were over 30,000 people at the ceremony. This year there
were no more than 1/2 that many people there.

Next year will bring the big crowds as Gwynn and Ripken are inducted. But, the
past few years the attendance has been diminishing. The HOF cannot continue to
slight players like Buck or Gil Hodges or Babe Herman or Bill Dahlen....to name
a few.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

While in high school, I was lucky enough to work for Ed Keetz who promoted many shows in the upstate New York area. Buck appeared at a couple of card shows. He was scheduled to sign autographs from 11-2, however the show did not end until 4 pm. After Buck was done at 2pm, he proceeded to grab the large microphone on the main autograph stage and tell stories and entertained the crowd for almost another hour. By far, my favorite story told was the origins of his nickname "Nancy". After that, he spent the rest of the show walking around, talking with people in the crowd, telling more stories, and probably signing another 200+ items! The guy was truly incredible.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

The low attendance could be blamed on the fact it was only Sutter going in and he wasnt exactly a popular choice.His big moments came 20+ years ago with St Louis and thats quite a haul to get there.I think next year you will see alot of people drive up from Maryland to see Ripken go in.Philly is close and Ashburn was a god there and alot of people waited awhile for him,while with Sutter not many expected it and he was an odd choice with the likes of Rice,Dawson and Gossage either far ahead of him statistically or in Goose's case a very comparible player

Old 08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K@sel

We're not the only ones demanding Buck's induction into the HOF.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/gallery.embarrassingmoments2/content.12.html

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/