NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Bret

Default Pricing for Vintage Cards Question

Hello, I've been getting more into vintage cards again as my Dad has started collecting the cards from his youth and already has a few 50's sets together. My collection over the past could of years has been mostly modern where pricing is basically guided by Ebay. We have tried to do the same with the vintage cards along with pricing from SMR as we have a PSA membership. I noticed a lot of people use VCP to justify their pricing in BST section.

My question is what is the more accepted assessment of values for cards? SMR seems relatively in line with Ebay but also seems off when it comes to more popular players and cards (undervalues) and maybe overvalues others. I checked out the VCP website and it looks interesting but a bit expensive compared to just using Ebay or SMR. I like that it takes into account auction house pricing. Is SMR a decent guide to go by or should we pay the money to try VCP? Also does VCP have a few that looks at all prices for the cards in a set based on checklist like SMR does? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:32 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Hope to see you get to into collecting vintage.

Nothing beats actual prices. VCP gives several years worth of pricing as well as images so you can see if the card was good or bad for the grade.

EBay is great but only goes back a couple of months. Depending on the vintage card you are looking at, there may not have been any EBay sales.

SMR may not be worthless, as it gives a good basic idea, but the devil is in the details with it. As you said, too high on some, too low on others versus actual sales.

Tom C
Old 07-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Some of the prices listed on SMR are pretty accurate, but others have no connection to the real world. SMR's Cracker Jack prices are especially laughable across the board.

SMR lists most 1915 Cracker Jack Hall of Famers at $30-35 and commons at $12-14 in PSA 1. That is not even close to real world market value. I would love to buy some Cracker Jack cards of Christy Mathewson at $225, Honus Wagner at $250, Ty Cobb at $650 and Shoeless Joe Jackson at $1,650.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Bret

Thank you both and your feedback makes sense. Do either of you know if VCP has a checklist view for the cards in a set and values next to it?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

With respect to the cost of VCP, you can purchase a 24-hour subscription for $3.99 and "binge" your research into a short period.

Do either of you know if VCP has a checklist view for the cards in a set and values next to it?

I'm not sure I do this the most efficient way but I do this by adding the set to "My Collection" and specifying the grade, e.g., PSA 8. It provides a complete set list, each card's recent price in the specified grade, and the total VCP value.

You can also do this without using the My Collection feature by inputting the Grader, Grade, Price Type, and Show All. It returns the set with individual prices. Neither output I described will print or export very efficiently (that I've been able to figure out).

Last edited by scotgreb; 07-26-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: to provide additional info
Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Bret

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
With respect to the cost of VCP, you can purchase a 24-hour subscription for $3.99 and "binge" your research into a short period.

Do either of you know if VCP has a checklist view for the cards in a set and values next to it?

I'm not sure I do this the most efficient way but I do this by adding the set to "My Collection" and specifying the grade, e.g., PSA 8. It provides a complete set list, each card's recent price in the specified grade, and the total VCP value.

You can also do this without using the My Collection feature by inputting the Grader, Grade, Price Type, and Show All. It returns the set with individual prices. Neither output I described will print or export very efficiently (that I've been able to figure out).
Very helpful, thank you! Maybe I will start with the 24 hour binge.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Hope to see you get to into collecting vintage.

Nothing beats actual prices. VCP gives several years worth of pricing as well as images so you can see if the card was good or bad for the grade.

EBay is great but only goes back a couple of months. Depending on the vintage card you are looking at, there may not have been any EBay sales.

SMR may not be worthless, as it gives a good basic idea, but the devil is in the details with it. As you said, too high on some, too low on others versus actual sales.

Tom C
+1--you absolutely nailed it, Tom.

May your collecting be an enormous positive in your life,

Larry
Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A few years ago I looked through a Vintage Baseball Guide put out by Beckett. It gave pricing based on actual (reported) sales and was very accurate. I think they are doing something similar soon (if not now). They will be one of the speakers at the Net54baseball dinner so maybe we will hear more then.

And one other thing, any guide needs to be taken with a grain of salt until the card in question can be seen. There are huge price differences in same grade cards based on overall appeal (especially centering).

Last edited by Leon; 07-28-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Mike

At least things have come along way from the days when price guides were fueled by transactions at a couple of New York Shows. I always imagine some kid in Arizona in 1970, pricing a Willie Mays based on what it sold for at a New York Show.