NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default OT: Autographs at Chantilly Show

I apologize if this belongs in another location, but thought I'd start here. My son's eighth birthday is the same week as the Chantilly show and his favorite football player (Peyton Manning) will be there. In my opinion, the price for the auto is pretty steep, but let's eliminate that as a factor regarding this thread.

Essentially the question is, are these sessions generally a cattle call where the player takes the item, signs it and hands it back? Or can I expect that there will be a little interaction between the player and my son?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by t206hound; 02-23-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
P.hil €lli$

I haven't been to one like this in a while, but the last one I went to was a All-Pro Quarterback and basically you hand your item to a person who hands it to the athlete who then has a second person on his other side pick up the item and hand it back to you.

You don't get a chance to hold up the line for more than 2 seconds. It's basically a conveyer-belt set up. "Move along....nothing to see here".
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Mooooove

That's what I assumed. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

About 6-7 years ago, I made the drive from Houston to Kansas City for a TriStar show to meet Joe Montana (my childhood hero) and Jerry Rice. I was going to have them each sign a 49ers mini helment. I stood in Montana's line first. He didn't even really look up for most people. He had a guy on his right that would accept the item. That guy would look it over and pass it to Montana. Montana would sign it and pass it to some guy on his left who would pass it back to the owner. It kind of reminded me of an assembly line. He seem to have no personality at all.

When I went through Rices's line, he stuck out his hand and offered me a handshake and thanked me for coming out to see him. I was pleasantly surprised. He made me fell like I got my money's worth. It was quite a difference in the two individuals.

I met Jim Brown a few years ago and I had always heard that he was a big jerk, so I wasn't expecting much but an autograph. However, he was also one of the nicest players I have ever met. So, I really say it just depends on the individual and what kind of day they're having.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Yes. It depends on the athlete. I have found that most of them take the time to chat or pose for pictures, unless of course it's Willie Mays. What you might do is go to the show and observe how Manning interacts. He may well be open to being more indulgent with children too. If you like what you see, you can then purchase the ticket at the show.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM
P.hil €lli$

Most of the time if it is a big-name athlete (like Manning), the athlete doesn't have much of a say in how the signing is run. If there are a lot of people in line (most probable for Manning), then the people running the signing will probably move people along very quickly so that they aren't there all day.