NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-06-2021, 10:50 AM

Default 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle Advice

Hi all. I just recently got back into card collecting after looking through some cards my grandpa passed down to me when I was a kid. I'd never looked at them before, but there's a Bowman 1951 Mickey Mantle card in there, which I've discovered is quite popular in the collecting community.

I have also never had a card graded, so I was hoping to get some advice on:
  • Whether you think the Mantle card is authentic
  • Whether it's worth the high fee to get it graded by PSA
  • What the condition of it is, in your opinion, based on my pictures

Thanks in advance guys — happy to be back into the sports card realm!

FRONT + BACK IMAGES: https://imgur.com/a/7i4b4ug
Old 02-06-2021, 10:58 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoops View Post
Hi all. I just recently got back into card collecting after looking through some cards my grandpa passed down to me when I was a kid. I'd never looked at them before, but there's a Bowman 1951 Mickey Mantle card in there, which I've discovered is quite popular in the collecting community.

I have also never had a card graded, so I was hoping to get some advice on:
  • Whether you think the Mantle card is authentic
  • Whether it's worth the high fee to get it graded by PSA
  • What the condition of it is, in your opinion, based on my pictures

Thanks in advance guys — happy to be back into the sports card realm!

FRONT + BACK IMAGES: https://imgur.com/a/7i4b4ug

I'm not an expert, far from it, you'll defintely get a more informative answer from someone else on the board, but to my knowledge, Reprints aren't typically off center, which your card appears to be, which is fine, it'll just get graded with that designation.

Now assuming it's real and you want to sell it, it's 100% worth it paying the premium to get it graded by PSA, because graded cards sell for more, and PSA slabs are typically the most valuable. If you want to keep it, then it's entirely up to you, in terms of who you chose to grade with or if you want to get it graded at all.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:01 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I follow several baseball card collectors. Dave created a great video that discusses this card, and what to look for when determining whether one is real or fake. Here is the link.

https://youtu.be/hkZv5den16w

Sorry for not typing everything out, but this video with picture examples is better that what I can explain.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I follow several baseball card collectors. Dave created a great video that discusses this card, and what to look for when determining whether one is real or fake. Here is the link.

https://youtu.be/hkZv5den16w

Sorry for not typing everything out, but this video with picture examples is better that what I can explain.
This is great — thank you!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:48 AM
Ben Fisher

Beautiful card. Looks authentic to me, and should grade out very nicely! I'd have a real hard time letting a card like that go, given its provenance. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:49 AM
J0hn H@rper

My first instinct (looking at it) is that your chances are pretty good, though naturally you can only make a best guess from just those pics.

Everything else said here so far is spot on too. Follow the advice on that video, and if it appears real after closer inspection, get it graded by PSA, especially if you might sell it
Old 02-06-2021, 03:17 PM
John Donovan

Beautiful card!

Can’t add anything new to conversation. If your plan is to sell it, then getting it graded by PSA is the way to go. Looks legit to me. And as far as the centering, I have seen off centered fake cards, probably for the reason you expressed, because people are less skeptical of off centered cards.

But if you aren’t planning on selling now, there’s no harm in just keeping that card raw in your collection. Maybe try and complete the set (you already have toughest card out of the way!).
Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Beautiful card!

Can’t add anything new to conversation. If your plan is to sell it, then getting it graded by PSA is the way to go. Looks legit to me. And as far as the centering, I have seen off centered fake cards, probably for the reason you expressed, because people are less skeptical of off centered cards.

But if you aren’t planning on selling now, there’s no harm in just keeping that card raw in your collection. Maybe try and complete the set (you already have toughest card out of the way!).
I would say grade it now before PSA raise the price again. eventually down the line will have to grade it
Old 02-06-2021, 03:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I have a 1981 Fleer Harold Baines rookie card I'll trade you for it. Of course, you'd have to add some cash to the deal, too. I'm not letting Harold go for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Tags
1951, bowman, grading, mickey mantle, yankees