NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-03-2021, 08:15 PM
Matthew

Default “Ideal” centering for 1954 Topps Banks

I would love to hear opinions on this and of course there is no “right” answer. Topps decided to screw with everyone in their production of this card. Even the PSA 10s I’ve seen on social media don’t look quite right. It’s one of the great mysteries of the hobby in my opinion.

For me, I want to see the left-right border matched in width near the bottom of the card where there is a border. For the top-down centering, I think the answer is that the bottom border matches the width of the side borders and the top border just doesn’t exist. I think a match between the “border” defined by top of his name and the bottom border isn’t the design intent but appears to be PSAs definition.

Let’s have a deep dive on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2021, 08:18 PM
Matthew

Default “Ideal” centering for 1954 Topps Banks

Here’s my lovely example (if I can get my link to work!)

https://flic.kr/p/2kABWwG

Last edited by IgnatiusJReilly; 09-04-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

I prefer a little room above the name.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Matthew

Just to be clear, my 7MC example is not my definition of ideal centering but it’s the card I have!

Old 09-03-2021, 08:40 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I prefer a little room above the name.
This

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Here is one I like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mays54.jpg (80.0 KB, 342 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Jason B.

Great topic Matthew!

The L/R centering is pretty straightforward, but the Top/Bottom centering is kind of a 'know it when you see it' sort of thing. Should have a bit of space above the name, I agree.

The Kaline for me is my favorite '54 for centering in my PC, and I think it nails the Top/Bottom centering for my money.
The Spahn is only shown as an example of centering that is just a wee bit too far weighted to the top for my eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54033.jpg (79.7 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg 54039.jpg (81.1 KB, 342 views)
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 09-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams54t1.jpg (72.1 KB, 335 views)

Old 09-03-2021, 09:55 PM
Mikeknapp

Here is mine I looked for a long time until I could find one that didn’t break the bank and had a bit of room above the name. That was more important to me than the left right centering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FA2FE033-2E61-43C8-8172-95A99570DF63.jpg (13.6 KB, 333 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

A lot of the Ernies have that lettering right on the top edge for some reason. I found a similar one to you and agree on a card with white background left to right is less noticeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banks54.jpg (77.8 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-03-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Mikeknapp

Beautiful card Peter!

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 09-04-2021, 06:40 PM
Dave Carson

Mine has a very little bit of space above the name

I can’t remember when or how I obtained this. Confident it was sometime in the 1980s. This was part of my first PSA submission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F4F6A0D4-2FD9-4E2E-9965-BCE5028D5914.jpg (12.8 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by IndyDave; 09-04-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
A lot of the Ernies have that lettering right on the top edge for some reason. I found a similar one to you and agree on a card with white background left to right is less noticeable.
For most cards in the 1954 Topps set, I agree with the OP. However on Banks I would take Peter's card. If you look at Banks shoulders, it is clearly off centered left to right. However on the black and white photo, Banks backside extends into the border of the card. So if the borders were centered, the black and white photo of Banks would almost be off the card.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:15 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
For most cards in the 1954 Topps set, I agree with the OP. However on Banks I would take Peter's card. If you look at Banks shoulders, it is clearly off centered left to right. However on the black and white photo, Banks backside extends into the border of the card. So if the borders were centered, the black and white photo of Banks would almost be off the card.

That’s one of the things that make this such a tough card. You have his action image in the border and his name right at the top of the card. It really is an odd card.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:01 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

I picked this one up last year and from what I can see is as close to perfect centering as one can expect. I use the 3 borders (excluding the top) as my drivers. The b/w action image is clearly meant to encroach into the border as part of the original design intent.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/197085578@N03/uxMUN16u63
Old 09-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
I picked this one up last year and from what I can see is as close to perfect centering as one can expect. I use the 3 borders (excluding the top) as my drivers. The b/w action image is clearly meant to encroach into the border as part of the original design intent.

I remember when you posted this one! In my opinion, this example has nearly ideal centering. Beautiful card!

Old 09-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Here is mine---the way i like them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user203931_pic17567_1425235147.jpg (42.6 KB, 241 views)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:04 AM
St@n Go.len

Mine.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post

What am I missing that makes this only a 4? Or is it just more PSA chest-beating? “Oooh, we’re so tough!!”
Old 09-05-2021, 04:30 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
What am I missing that makes this only a 4? Or is it just more PSA chest-beating? “Oooh, we’re so tough!!”
Definitely some PSA chest thumping. No creases or wrinkles and sharp corners. You can see a little ding/dent(?) on the right edge by his butt. Otherwise it’s very clean. It’s one of the best I’ve seen in any grade.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:15 AM

Default Second That

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
I remember when you posted this one! In my opinion, this example has nearly ideal centering. Beautiful card!

This is a beautifully centered Banks, left right on bottom, top to bottom is right on point, and I always pay attention to the Cubs logo to see if it's exactly parallel to the card both on the right side and top. This will tell you if the card is miscut at all.

For the black and white image, you want to see some white space between his rear end and the edge of the card, if it's touching or even close to the edge it's off center. See this overgraded SGC example in HA, you'd never see this in a new PSA holder in a 5. https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

I can't attach mine as I scanned it high resolution, tried compressing it to a zip and it's still too large.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:46 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post
See this overgraded SGC example in HA, you'd never see this in a new PSA holder in a 5.
Sadly, the "new" SGC lost the script on centering in the last 3 years along with their myriad other problems. That card could be considered miscut and is definitely not a 5. But with other things, it seems they have hired some graders who don't know how to compute centering and are overly harsh on it. Last year I had two different '72 Topps cards in SGC 5's that were moderately OC, but not more than 70/30. The centering downgrade was overkill - both could have been 7's.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:37 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great thread. Some great looking Banks cards being shown. Here is my contribution to this thread. Not perfectly centered but not too bad for a 54.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Jason B.

The thread just keeps getting more interesting, especially on the topic of the Banks RC.
The L/R centering on the card is of course famously tough, but I'd never really noticed how the playing image encroaches into the right border until it was mentioned above.
It's really easy to lose your bearings on the white background '54's.

Someone else on this thread is about to get my spare PSA 6 Banks, which is 50/50 centered left to right. I wasn't really sure why I was ok downgrading the L/R centering on this recent 7 pickup, but I'm looking at it with new eyes now from the comments above. This one's getting re-holdered as we speak. Great discussion!

And a couple of great Mays cards above! -- one of my favorite Mays issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54032.jpg (79.2 KB, 137 views)
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 09-09-2021, 09:37 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
The thread just keeps getting more interesting, especially on the topic of the Banks RC.
The L/R centering on the card is of course famously tough, but I'd never really noticed how the playing image encroaches into the right border until it was mentioned above.
It's really easy to lose your bearings on the white background '54's.

Someone else on this thread is about to get my spare PSA 6 Banks, which is 50/50 centered left to right. I wasn't really sure why I was ok downgrading the L/R centering on this recent 7 pickup, but I'm looking at it with new eyes now from the comments above. This one's getting re-holdered as we speak. Great discussion!

And a couple of great Mays cards above! -- one of my favorite Mays issues.

Awesome card! I think there is no right answer for the 54 Banks. I think whatever you think looks great is the right answer for you, and whatever the grading companies think be damned. That said, I would love to know how they determine the centering scale for this card.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:27 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Observation

To me it looks like almost every Banks Rookie no matter which way it is centered has the very top of the letters of BANKS cut off.... you can notice especially on the S. The only one Ive seen on here that doesnt qualify for that is the giant one that Stan posted above. Its more of a printing problem then a centering issue for this..... what say the rest of you? I dont see this on other random Topps 1954s but I havent checked intensively yet.....
Old 09-10-2021, 05:04 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
To me it looks like almost every Banks Rookie no matter which way it is centered has the very top of the letters of BANKS cut off.... you can notice especially on the S. The only one Ive seen on here that doesnt qualify for that is the giant one that Stan posted above. Its more of a printing problem then a centering issue for this..... what say the rest of you? I dont see this on other random Topps 1954s but I havent checked intensively yet.....
Good catch. I see it in all of the round top letters (R and B as well). I have no idea what to make of that. I would have said it’s the font but as you said, I don’t see it in Sam’s posted above.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:34 PM
Matthew

I have some new entrants to consider!

I recently received this one from ZiggerZagger:

1954_Banks_1 by boosandpearl, on Flickr

and bought this one off ebay

1954_Banks2_1 by boosandpearl, on Flickr

I think both have strong centering, with the more recent one being a bit better. I plan to only keep one and would love to hear thoughts from the seasoned vets on the board.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:53 PM

Default Banks centering...what I look for

There are a few ways to ensure a properly centered Banks IMO.
1) Check the bottom boarder, this should align with the right and left boarders.
2) The cubs logo should be an equal distance from the right boarder as the bottom right boarder. This ensures a 90 degree straight cut card.
3) Top/Bottom centering- The bottom boarder should be equal to the space above Ernie’s name.
Also, the cubs logo should have an equal amount of boarder on the top and the right side, another check for a properly cut card. Another consideration is that the right edge of the cubs logo should be parallel to the right boarder.
4) Ernie Banks name is often cut off at the top of the card, this is a result of poor printing, not reflective of the card being miscut or off center. In general since it’s a common printing issue most folks ignore it.
5) The black and white image shouldn’t be factored into the centering as it’s a secondary image layered on top of the primary image and was done so purposefully to overlap the primary boarder. A centered card will have the rear of Banks near the right boarder and there will be some white space, however, less boarder than the primary image.

My attached card is shifted to the left probably 60/40ish but looks good top to bottom. The left/right off centering is consistent from top to bottom based on the width of the boarder between the cubs logo and right boarder being the same as that at the bottom boarder.
You really can’t go wrong with any Banks rookie but they sure look extra amazing centered!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44EA1903-EC4C-427C-A6F2-CBA0C75E7148.jpg (13.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-11-2021, 07:37 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

My humble 4. Centering is always my priority and I believe I did well with this one but had not considered all of the factors brought forth in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by scotgreb; 10-12-2021 at 01:57 PM.