NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-15-2021, 07:07 PM
James M.

Default Information on Ron Lewis' Living Legends Set

Hello everyone. Ever since I discovered Ron Lewis' set of 20 Living Legends, I knew I had to complete the set. I actually outlined my progress here on the forum a couple of times. I eventually completed my journey, sometime during the pandemic, when I was able to complete the set. However I always find myself coming back to Lewis' artwork, specifically his reasoning behind choosing the 20 players that he did.

Was it some sort of rights agreement between the 20 that he ended up doing? There were certainly many players, including those who he had painted or had been apart of his other works that were not included in the set. Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, and Rickey Henderson are all examples of this, as they're apart of some of his other works, but not the Living Legends set. My only thoughts are that the set might have been tied in with one of the Shows that was going on at the time. Any information would be fantastic. Thank you.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Hello everyone. Ever since I discovered Ron Lewis' set of 20 Living Legends, I knew I had to complete the set. I actually outlined my progress here on the forum a couple of times. I eventually completed my journey, sometime during the pandemic, when I was able to complete the set. However I always find myself coming back to Lewis' artwork, specifically his reasoning behind choosing the 20 players that he did.

Was it some sort of rights agreement between the 20 that he ended up doing? There were certainly many players, including those who he had painted or had been apart of his other works that were not included in the set. Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, and Rickey Henderson are all examples of this, as they're apart of some of his other works, but not the Living Legends set. My only thoughts are that the set might have been tied in with one of the Shows that was going on at the time. Any information would be fantastic. Thank you.

Hey James- I won a complete set in 2017 in an REA auction. Most sets like this are arranged, as you suggested, as part of a contract between the artist and the promotor. I don't know the exact details with the Lewis set, but, more recently, our own Graig Kreindler's set was chosen by Topps - I had inquired why Mantle, Aaron, Koufax and others weren't included. In the Lewis set, Henderson may have been omitted because of it being fairly early in his career (1988) - even though he was 'somewhat' legendary already. Almost all of the players included were retired. Ryan, of course, was not, but Seaver and Jackson had just retired and Schmidt was almost done. But Slaughter & Schoendienst without Aaron...that's just wrong. And of course, Ted, Stan and Joe D. were still around in '88 too.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-18-2021, 08:08 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Hey James- I won a complete set in 2017 in an REA auction. Most sets like this are arranged, as you suggested, as part of a contract between the artist and the promotor. I don't know the exact details with the Lewis set, but, more recently, our own Graig Kreindler's set was chosen by Topps - I had inquired why Mantle, Aaron, Koufax and others weren't included. In the Lewis set, Henderson may have been omitted because of it being fairly early in his career (1988) - even though he was 'somewhat' legendary already. Almost all of the players included were retired. Ryan, of course, was not, but Seaver and Jackson had just retired and Schmidt was almost done. But Slaughter & Schoendienst without Aaron...that's just wrong. And of course, Ted, Stan and Joe D. were still around in '88 too.
The last part is what got me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his print that was made of DiMaggio, along with the 500 Home Run print, came out in the same year that the Living Legends set came out, in 1988. So with the exception of Stan, he'd have produced works involving Ted, Aaron and Joe D all in the same year.

My only thought was maybe reluctance on certain players parts? Would at least explain DiMaggio, as I know he could be moody, or at least that's what I have heard.

I wonder if there's a way to contact Ron Lewis. I'm sure he'd have the answer!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:08 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I wonder if there's a way to contact Ron Lewis. I'm sure he'd have the answer!
There is an address for him at the end of this SCD article but it's from 2007 so who knows if it's still good.