NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2021, 10:59 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Input on submitting items to Auction Houses

I talked with an old friend this week. He has a pretty substantial baseball collection. It ranges from 1910s tobacco- mid 60s topps. A lot of complete sets. Most of the cards are raw, some of the stars are graded. Most of the collection was put together from the early 80s-late 90s. Highlights are a complete 33 Goudey set minus the Nap, psa 5 52 mantle and mid grade or higher star cards.

After seeing the spike in cards prices, he told me has decided to sell it all at once and wants to use a major auction house. He also mentioned he wanted collectors to get first crack at the collection rather than use a dealer. Looking for recent experiences from Net54 members using auctions houses. How has the process been? Any recommendations? Got what you valued submissions at?

Any information is appreciated. Believe he will be looking to sell in the new year.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:41 AM
Johnny MaZilli

His best bet is Give it all to REA and be very happy, way less hassle. I bet they will give him a great consignment rate considering he has some killer stuff.

Last edited by Johnny630; 11-25-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:08 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Rea

REA

POC is Dean Faragi there.

100%
Old 11-25-2021, 12:13 PM
Fred

This question will probably annoy people.

How much of the collection is graded?

An assumption here is that an auction house will probably end up submitting the higher value material. That brings another question - how does the auction house take car of that expense?
Old 11-25-2021, 12:24 PM

I like lots of AHs and don’t want to publicly support any particular one on this specific query. But I do have thoughts and have PMed you.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:33 PM

Give it to REA and they will figure out how to sell it. Also, if it is substantial, have REA create a separate thinner catalog of his material and they can mail it out with their main catalog, so his stuff won't get lost among the rest of the catalog. That thinner catalog will the [his name] collection.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:51 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
This question will probably annoy people.

How much of the collection is graded?

An assumption here is that an auction house will probably end up submitting the higher value material. That brings another question - how does the auction house take car of that expense?
They have it graded at their lower prices with the grading companies and deduct the actual cost from the consignor's take.

However, it is worth it if the cards are in nice condition.

REA is a good choice but so is Heritage, Memory Lane, and Goldin IMO.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:18 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
They have it graded at their lower prices with the grading companies and deduct the actual cost from the consignor's take.

However, it is worth it if the cards are in nice condition.

REA is a good choice but so is Heritage, Memory Lane, and Goldin IMO.
I wonder:
- What the percentage of business the AHs represent for the TPGs.
- How much priority the AHs get over a typical submitter.
- What the turn-around time is for an AH on cards submitted to the TPGs.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Lots of people have their favorites but I don't think there's ever been a meaningful analysis showing any one AH consistently beats the rest across a range of material. We've had tons of threads like this and the answers are always all over the place. If I were ever inclined to consign and I'm not, I would call a number of the top ones and see who I felt most comfortable with and got the best terms from. There's no right answer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-25-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:51 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I wonder:
- What the percentage of business the AHs represent for the TPGs.
- How much priority the AHs get over a typical submitter.
- What the turn-around time is for an AH on cards submitted to the TPGs.
-<5%
- a fair amt of priority
- quicker than it’d be if i sent it in
Old 11-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Whichever way he goes, he needs to be very very specific with them about lotting. Might even be worthwhile to give the less expensive slabbed stuff to an AH that specializes in single card sales of that sort, like Sterling. And whoever gets the Mantle (a $100K card) should give back a % of the BP in addition to a no-commission deal.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-25-2021, 04:14 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Whoever gives you the best finders fee

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-25-2021, 04:18 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Based solely from a buyer perspective, plus one for REA. Heritage also great. LOTG too. With those cards it’ll be hard to go wrong.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:48 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Lots of people have their favorites but I don't think there's ever been a meaningful analysis showing any one AH consistently beats the rest across a range of material. We've had tons of threads like this and the answers are always all over the place. If I were ever inclined to consign and I'm not, I would call a number of the top ones and see who I felt most comfortable with and got the best terms from. There's no right answer.
Agreed a little bit of leg work is required. You want to get as much of the sellers fee back as possible 5 to 8% however you also want to ensure that the AH will take care of the cards the way your friend is comfortable including talking to them asking things like
1. Lotting
2. Like how his special cards be featured in email blasts, catelog etc.
3. How they handle duplicating competing cards of other consignors
4. How will they handle the ungraded cards, which should be graded, grading fees

Either way great sounding collection and most of the AH’s will do a great job just decide which is best for them

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Whatever auction house he uses I’m sure he will do great based on the caliber of his collection ! I bet you have already received multiple pms from dealers/AH wanting to get the collection. We have a large number of dealers, consigners, and auction houses as members.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:02 PM
Ken McMillan

Used Heritage and REA and both were great but give the edge to REA. Also Love of the Game is good.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:21 PM
Joe M.

Default Rea

REA just came to my home & picked up items for their spring & summer auctions. I have consigned with them in other auctions very satisfied. They will work with you on consignment fees. Very professional & thorough. Good luck Joe.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-25-2021, 10:23 PM
Paul Lehr

REA gets my vote. I’ve had ZERO issues buying or selling through them, and I can’t say that for many others.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:09 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Based off another super strong auction last night your friend should just give all his stuff to REA for their spring auction, he will win !