NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Cards from Ebay (Jeff's Junk)

Posted By: JC

I'm sure many board members won cards from Jeff's Junk last week on Ebay. I just got mine in today, and I can say I have never recieved high dollor cards with no protection lying in an envelope before. You would think that spending 3000.00 with him, he might realize that they are worth some protection. I think he insured them for what he had into them of 300.00. Is everyone happy with what hey recieved? I'm not sure if I am.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

JC I got my cards today also. Like yours they were each in an envelope. I got 33 cards so it was pretty bulky. Luckily all the cards, including only the second known copy of Gibson, came through in good shape. My guess is that the seller, who runs an auction house in western Iowa, has little experience with cards and didn't really know how to ship them correctly.

Old 07-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

I think the sellers Ebay moniker "Jeff's Junk" tells you what he is used to dealing in. Anyway, I won NO cards but if whomever won Sam Thompson or Deacon White is unhappy maybe I could take them off his/her hands

Old 07-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Administrator

WOW JAY, 33 cards! I bet I know what your user ID is. I got thumped at the end on many lots. I thought that was a good time to start collecting N-172's. I wish the seller would have mentioned that all the cards had writing on the backs. I think I tried to get the Gibson too, just because I have the Kalamazoo Bats of him.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dano

This was a fairly common practice in the early 1970s before these things became super valuable. I believe postcard dealers still ship this way. Every now and then I will receive something by envelope with no protection. It is scary and I know how you feel. Jay, nice score! Dan.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce MacPherson

I won six of the Old Judge cards from Jeff's Junk. When I received the package it was damp and slightly damaged. When I opened the box and saw the pathetic envelopes the cards were stored in, I was less than thrilled and the cards were slightly damp. There was no significant damage to the cards as far as I can tell and hopefully the water won't cause any futher problems. Also, four of the six cards had an ink stamp on the back. Obviously, I wasn't too pleased with the transaction, but decided to keep the cards rather than cash in on the insurance.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

Hmm. This is starting to sound like we all had a similar experience. I won 9 cards, received them 10 days after paying. I, too, was surprised to see them arrive in old used card envelopes sent by meager 1st class mail, with them insured for only a small percentage of their value. I, too, was unhappy that many cards had ink stamps not mentioned. Several have writing on them (ink). I also feel several of these fair much worst than actually described (e.g., the seller described a Genins card - which I paid $260 for, as having a slight separation in one spot from the backing. It turns out that the card is completely separated along the left border.) Overall, I am unhappy with what I ended up with for $2,000. Its always a gamble, but I feel somewhat disgruntled that I wasn't at least armed with the appropriate information to feel like I deserved what I got. I will be contacting the seller to express this sentiment, as well.

James Verrill
MASSTERCARDS on Ebay

Old 07-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I snagged only one card from this lot, a Nat Hudson for under 40.00. My card also arrived in an envelope, but I was lucky in that my envelope was packed in a heavily taped Larry's Macaroni & Cheese box. Silly box, but a least the card is ok. Everytime I buy cards from antique dealers online they never seem to know quite how to handle the cards when they ship them.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Administrator

I contacted the seller "Jeff" on saturday morning after I opened up my used stained box that once held pickle jars. It now held old judges of a couple of Keefe's, 2 Bownie Champs and a few other commons.

Yes, they were loosely in individual envelopes with the item number and player name on the top left. As I took them out of the envelope to seal them in "MYLAR", I noticed pen and pencil markings on the reverse that were probally done by a kid (Unless the original owner liked flowers).

I e-mail Jeff right away to inform him and sorda educate him on the value of a card with these markings on them. I know 19th century pieces have a greater value than 20 century items with back markings. However, I felt mis-lead with no mention to these inperfections and generic descriptions.

I offered to send the cards back to him for a refund, or keep the cards for a partial "In store" credit or refund. He has made it right by me on this buy. I have informed him that other board members have the same concerns as I did (no names). I told him I would let the board know that he and I came to an acceptable arrangement for me on these cards I won/bought.

I think for the most part, there were many bargins to be had. We should be lucky, that it was generic descriptions with only poor front scans. If it was LUCKEY who was selling these with great descriptions and big scans, the 250 lots would have fetched over 100,000 rather than 62,000.

Old 07-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

OK, OK. I won 12 cards - not 9. Anyway - yesterday, after posting my experience, I contacted the seller and expressed my concerns.

Bottom line: he was extremely accomadating and he and I worked out what I feel is a very reasonable compromise on the 2 cards I was most unhappy with.

I commend him for handling the situation with professionalism and for his ability to discuss the matter in such a way as to treat me with respect and dignity.

Accomadating, professional, and respectful.

Wow, there's an assortment of words not often found together when describing an Ebay seller.

James Verrill
MASStercards on Ebay

Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I too occasionally get a card from someone outside our "cult" packaged like old toilet paper. The first time this happened, the seller put three beautiful near mint PCs loose in an 8x11 bubble envelope. By the time I got them, they each had a nice, fat crease. The next time, I decided not to leave things to chance. When one of the most desired cards on my want list came from a book dealer, what I did, and what I recommend people do in the future, is send my own package with a holder, stiffeners and a return fed ex package on my account. Cost about $20 to do it, but I got a prized card without concerns about damage.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

Old 07-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

One buyer of high-grade 1950s material to whom I have sold cards a couple of times has another solution (albeit not as airtight as Adam's). Each time I sold something to him, he included a message saying something like, "Please ship cards in a padded envelope with proper protection. No crummy team bags, please." It's easy enough to do, especially if you're only worried about a small percent of transactions. At the very least, it'll let the seller know that you're paying attention and expect that the USPS won't have a chance to damage your item.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Jeff is correct. With payment, or via email, ask the seller (politely, of course) to package it in the way you find desirable. Naturally, the buyer shouldn't expect both this extra service and to pay only 50 cents for shipping.