NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Championship Rings - Primarily Sports

Old 12-23-2014, 05:33 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default The Championship Hardware from Super Bowl III. Do you agree with what the colts did?

I wrote a blog entry today on Super Bowl III, and the Baltimore Colts decision to not produce a Championship ring for that season.

Since the start of the Super Bowl era, only twice out of 48 championships, has a team decided not to award rings.

Super Bowl III was one of them.

Here are excerpts from the blog and a question that I raised: Do you think the Colts decision was short sided? Should they have made an "NFL Championship Ring"?

In a tradition that continues to this day, the team that loses the Super Bowl is still recognized as a champion of their respective conference. Before the official merger was completed, the losing ring would contain either “AFL” or “NFL” champions, while the winning Super Bowl team’s ring would have the words “World Champions”. Starting with Super Bowl V and continuing to modern times, the team that loses the Super Bowl earns an “AFC” or “NFC” champions ring.

The Baltimore Colts were heavily favored going into Super Bowl III, and were completely startled by their loss to the Jets.

The team felt that an “NFL Championship” ring would have been a grim reminder of their historic loss and perhaps that was just too much to bear. So the team decided to go with watches.

The watch is a high-end, solid 18K gold piece that contains the player initials (including the middle initial) and their jersey number engraved on the back of the watch.

The watches were made by luxury watch maker, Lucien Piccard. While the watch is extremely rare (only two have hit the auction block), there is not a huge demand for them and they typically sell around $3,000.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions if the Colts should have produced a championship ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sb3p.jpg (42.1 KB, 180 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 06:03 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

My dad was on a high school team that won the 1959 New England Hockey Championship (and 1960 as well) . They received watches for the victory. Nothing amazing but I prefer the watch to a ring as a keepsake because I can wear it without feeling like a usurper. When I get home from work I'll try to get a few scans together. As a collector the colts watch is much more wearable than a ring. That's my opinion.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Jordan Gluck

The Pittsburgh Steelers did the same thing when they lost to the Packers in the Super Bowl in 2011. They opted to receive watches instead.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 AM
N@te

Rings way over watches for me. I've always felt you give watches to honor someone/commemorate, etc. You give rings for winning championships.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 AM
jbits

Post Ring

At this point, rings have become an important part of the championship culture. Their presence alone makes a statement, people see a championship ring and want to know the history behind it, it is living sports history. Watches tend to be hidden, and rarely customized. Most watches that have been awarded for championships are nothing more than an engraved version of a mass produced model.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I tend to think rings are very special and in my humble opinion I feel the Colts made an error in snubbing a championship ring.

The Steelers went with watches a couple of years ago when they lost to the Packers in Super Bowl XLV. The team voted for watches because the ring would have been much smaller than the winning ring they received two seasons before.

Here is the Steelers watch which is the second and last time a team was awarded a watch when losing in the super bowl instead of getting a ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (32.2 KB, 164 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If I had my choice I would probably take a ring but honestly I wouldn't wear a gifted ring or watch. I have one ring on (my wedding ring) and bought a used Rolex 20 yrs ago that is still great. I don't care for personal jewelry too much but could see collecting it. It doesn't take up as much rooms as many other collectibles and some of it is very nice looking (and some of it is too gaudy) .
Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If I had my choice I would probably take a ring but honestly I wouldn't wear a gifted ring or watch. I have one ring on (my wedding ring) and bought a used Rolex 20 yrs ago that is still great. I don't care for personal jewelry too much but could see collecting it. It doesn't take up as much rooms as many other collectibles and some of it is very nice looking (and some of it is too gaudy) .
Sometimes a Rolex will show up on ebay from a championship game (usually college). They are usually made of stainless steel and don't go for much money above the cost of a similar Rolex without the personalized award.

You could kill two birds with one stone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.jpg (23.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 12:41 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Here are a few scans of my dad's 1960 New England High School Championship Watch. It is just a Cardinal Stainless but obviously means a lot to us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch1.jpg (76.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg watch2.jpg (77.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Nice!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Here are a few scans of my dad's 1960 New England High School Championship Watch. It is just a Cardinal Stainless but obviously means a lot to us.
That is very cool. Many times "money" has nothing to do with something so valuable to us.