NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Fake 1969 Mets Championship Ring

The 1969 Mets World Championship ring on ebay is a fake! I have tried in the past to ask Ebay to eliminate bogus rings to no avail.

Pictured below (the top row) are pictures of the ebay fake ring. On the row below you will find pictures of a real player's ring.

The big giveaway is on the side of the ring where you will find the engraved names. There is a very different gap size from the top of the ring. Also the ebay ring weighs 10-15 percent less than my player ring. The weight descrepancy means the fake ring was cast in a mold taken from a real ring. When this occurs, the new ring is usually 10-15% smaller.

Here is the link to the ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Last edited by sports-rings; 03-18-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Anthony

Yuck!!! you gotta cringe at the awful angles and blurring photos in the listing. total garbage
Old 03-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

You'd think with something that expensive they'd at least take good pictures.

A couple curiosity questions, I'm not real familiar with jewelery like this. I totally believe it's fake, so really just curiosity about a couple things.

I get the 10-15 % smaller if it's cast in a mold taken from an original, pretty typical metal shrinkage.

Were they all done from the same casting? I'm thinking that different size ranges would have different weights.

Would someone like an equpment manager have gotten a slightly different ring than the players? Maybe 10K instead of 14K or from a different original mold? It seems odd that the side panel is located differently if it was molded from an original. (Could be an optical illusion too)

Odd though, I've done a fair ammount of industrial manufacturing, and I see different differences that make me think fake, especially compared directly to a real one. Lack of crispness in the details, and sloppy fit and finish of the blue piece and the mount for the diamond.

Steve B
Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

One thing I have learned about rings is that the manufacturers remake rings from time to time. Players loose rings, or years later want a 2nd copy. so as time goes on their our some deviations. When players reorder a ring, the player or team can decide on 10K or 14K, the ring makers will make them out of either gold content.

about half the 69 mets rings i have seen have the "baseball diamond" on top of the blue stone and the other half have it partially within the blue stone, making the diamond stick out less.

more and more rings today are made in different sizes with the players getting the biggest. back in the 50's-90's most rings came in one size. The 69 ring came in only one size.

Rings at different angles can trick you, but I believe in this case, there is an undisputable difference in the gap from the top to the engraving.

can you guys explain what you see when you mention awful angles and sloppy fit and finish? I would love to learn more how to tell a fake ring.

thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

well this auction is over 4 grand and since ebay won't pull the auction i took matters into my own hands. i listed my 1969 player ring on ebay for around the same price and I clearly state in my auction why the other ring is no good.

I hope those bidding on the bad ring will see my real ring and realize they are making a huge mistake.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 PM
FredYoung

Looks like a newbie 0 FB shiller has joined the bidding!