NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Championship Rings - Primarily Sports

Old 06-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Seahawks 2014 NFC Rings

The photo below appeared on Twitter yesterday and shows the newest NFC Championship ring.

The team that looses the Super Bowl is awarded an NFC or AFC championship ring, while the winning team of the big game, gets a larger and more blinged-out Super Bowl ring.

With no details to be found anywhere on the internet, we can surmise that the ring was made by Tiffany and Company. We know this because the picture of the wood championship ring box, is clearly Tiffany’s standard presentation box offering.

While the Tiffany presentation box is usually made in wood and then stained, the Seahawks 2013 Super Bowl ring box was painted in Seattle’s team color, and so is the new box.

We don’t know the size of the Seahawks championship ring, and we don’t know the gold content or how much it weighs.

What's interesting about the ring is that it is a close match (with less diamonds and probably smaller) to their Super Bowl winning ring from the prior year.

Perhaps, like no other losing Super Bowl ring, this ring will not hold a special place for the players on the team, who were one play away from winning back to back Super Bowls.

What do the net54 readers think of this ring?

Last edited by sports-rings; 06-24-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:15 PM

Default '14 Seahawks

Considering the way they lost the Super Bowl, I was willing to bet the 'Hawks would have gone the 2010 Steelers' route and awarded a watch.

I think a better pic of the ring top is needed to get an appreciation for the ring.

It's a beautiful ring in its own way but it looks like it was designed with a "do we have to" attitude.

Since most people, including the players, view the ring as being the equivalent of receiving the bubonic plague, I can't understand why they even have a conference championship ring.

My philosophy: be thankful for what you are able to accomplish. If the best you can do is win a conference ring, feel blessed that you have one.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

I think it will be a big deal to the players who were not on the Super Bowl winning team. Beating Green Bay the way they did had to make the players proud enough to wear this ring.

To the guys who were part of the Super Bowl winning team the year before...probably won't be wearing this one ever. Maybe we'll see some of them show up in auctions?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:44 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I think it will be a big deal to the players who were not on the Super Bowl winning team. Beating Green Bay the way they did had to make the players proud enough to wear this ring.

To the guys who were part of the Super Bowl winning team the year before...probably won't be wearing this one ever. Maybe we'll see some of them show up in auctions?
I think you hit the nail on the head. Players who were there and won the Super Bowl the year before will not want to wear this ring, although the way it was designed, the two rings match up well together (they look very similar).

They will want no part of the new ring due to the way the team lost in the last few seconds.

Players who were rookies this past season, may see it differently. And yes, I hope you are right and we see this ring at auction this year.

I wonder how Seattle fans will view this ring from an auction stand-point?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
I wonder how Seattle fans will view this ring from an auction stand-point?
As an attendee at the Green Bay NFC title game, I would probably bid more than it is worth. I have a game-used football from the 49'er NFC title game the year before, but could not get one for the Green Bay game (Hunt auctioned off two fakes that I desperately wanted to believe were real), so one of these rings would be my second favorite game-used item!
Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Hunt auctioned off two fakes that I desperately wanted to believe were real
That's a strong accusation.

How do you know they were fake?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
That's a strong accusation.

How do you know they were fake?
It's not a "strong accusation" - it's something I discovered by doing simple research prior to bidding.

Before bidding I first looked for photos showing balls in use in that game - once I found a ball with referee marks, I looked at those spots on every photo that showed those areas of the ball. I then re-watched the entire game several times, again checking the spots where the referee marks should be, and they were in the exact same spot on every ball where those areas could be seen - there was no variance (and there were plenty of ball shots).

The two Hunt balls had no marks at all. I asked Hunt about it, as I wanted any excuse to win one of the balls, but the gist of the conversation was that the balls were given to them as authentic game-issued. Even if a ball DOES have referee marks, that is no guarantee that it actually sees action on the field - you have to be able to photo-match it to be sure. But no marks at all?

Like most of the balls that show up in auctions, they were likely game-prepared, but not chosen as one of the balls that would be available for the game - thus, no referee marks. I'm sure Hunt is innocent of any wrong-doing, but the auction houses really need to start holding the NFL and the team equipment managers responsible for providing what they say they are providing. It would be simple for the NFL to assign a photographer to take photos of pre-marked items that the NFL wishes to sell to the public - just put an easily identifiable mark on the item, be it helmet, jersey, shoe, football, etc, then have the photographer concentrate on photos that show that mark on the item while in use. Then you remove the item from play and send it to the auction house you contracted with, along with the photo evidence. But without such a process, it would still be a simple task for anyone to do the same legwork that I did, the auction houses included.

Is there a remote chance that there were balls used in the game that had no referee marks and never showed up in any film?

The bottom line is that I'm sure no one really cares, so let's get back to talking about Mickey Mantle forgeries, because that's interesting stuff.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Is there anyone here who collects game-used items and does NOT do their research to confirm that the item is valid?

The NFL, MLB and many of the auction houses are playing game-used collectors for saps. Don't be a sap.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
The bottom line is that I'm sure no one really cares, so let's get back to talking about Mickey Mantle forgeries, because that's interesting stuff.
Wow, you know your stuff and did your homework!

Thanks for sharing, I'm really glad you explained this in further detail, and I know that I care, and I'm sure many other net54 members do too.

Thanks again!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Wow, you know your stuff and did your homework!

Thanks for sharing, I'm really glad you explained this in further detail, and I know that I care, and I'm sure many other net54 members do too.

Thanks again!
Thanks. My thinking that no one cares has more to do with the fact that the NFL is sending balls to auction that could be a rubbed up ball fresh out of a box. Likely that they are actually game-prepared, but you would not be able to tell the difference. If any appreciable number of collectors gave a flip, such a situation could not possibly occur. Also, I brought up a similar problem with another game-used ball, with even more detail, and responses were negligible.