NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Championship Rings - Primarily Sports

Old 12-28-2014, 06:13 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Keepin Those Championship Rings Clean!

Here are tips in caring for your championship rings

This photo recently showed up on Twitter. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Someone is about to season a chicken while wearing their Seahawks Super Bowl ring.

Nothing good is going to come from this (except perhaps a great testing meal).

Here is what many years of collecting championship rings has taught me about caring for championship rings and how to make your sports rings look great:

1) Don’t wear the rings everyday! Gold is a soft metal and easy to damage with small dents, scratches, and dings. Also, keep in mind, especially 14K gold which is softer than 10K gold, the rings can wear down over time and the fine details of the ring can soften (blur) or worse, wear off.

2) Don’t let a jeweler machine polish and buff the ring! Buffing the ring by machine will make a ring look much better, however, you are actually taking off a significant amount of gold! If a ring is 50 grams and contains a lot of dings and scratches, it may wind up losing 5% or more of it’s weight and just like a ring that is worn too much, the details may be lost or significantly softened. There are many ring collectors who keep notes of ring weights (I know I do) and will pay significantly less money for a ring that is 5-10% lighter in weight than it should be. More than 10% means I won’t buy the ring at all.

3) One of the worst things you can do to your championship ring is to clean it with an ultrasonic cleaner. Most championship rings have a black antique finish on the side of the ring. The black finish helps to make the fine details stand out. Over time the black finish does fall off. Using an ultrasonic cleaner will accelerate the black finish falling out much faster.

4) The best way to clean a championship ring is for the jeweler to steam clean it.

5) If a championship ring does have surface scratches, I will have my jeweler lightly hand-buff the ring.

6) If a championship ring could improve by having the antique finish redone please note that this is a risky proposition: There is a good chance that your jeweler may not even have the black substance or have experience doing this.

I wrote a blog about caring for chamapionship rings where I go into much more detail about the 6 tips mentioned above. If you are interested, please check it out at http://sports-rings.com/wordpress1/2...p-rings-clean/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seachick.jpg (42.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 12-28-2014, 08:00 AM
jbits

Red face Ring

Hmm well I may have an advantage as a comedian & comedy writer, but I am close to 110% sure that the photo was a joke. People make jokes. It reminds me of the guy with well kept facial hair that you said looked homeless. To me the guy appears to be wearing nice clothing, he has styled hair (though for some reason he may be trying to channel Timothy Busfield), and he actually has the championship ring facing the correct direction on his hand but his hand is just not facing the direction that you would like it facing. It's also cute that he is jokingly comparing it to his much smaller wedding band (which you also take issue with).

http://sports-rings.com/wordpress1/2...g-photobomb-2/

J.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbits View Post
Hmm well I may have an advantage as a comedian & comedy writer, but I am close to 110% sure that the photo was a joke. People make jokes. It reminds me of the guy with well kept facial hair that you said looked homeless. To me the guy appears to be wearing nice clothing, he has styled hair (though for some reason he may be trying to channel Timothy Busfield), and he actually has the championship ring facing the correct direction on his hand but his hand is just not facing the direction that you would like it facing. It's also cute that he is jokingly comparing it to his much smaller wedding band (which you also take issue with).

http://sports-rings.com/wordpress1/2...g-photobomb-2/

J.
Trying to find content to write a daily blog on championship rings is a challenge. When I saw the photo of the Seahawks ring Twitter it helped me realize I could write an entry about how to clean and/or improve the appearance of championship rings.

I did realize that the two photos you mention were probably meant as humor but both did give me an opportunity to write blog entries.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Chris

My collecting budget is about as limited as my athletic ability, so I will likely never even have a ring in my collection. That said, your ring posts are very interesting and I hope they continue.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:36 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
My collecting budget is about as limited as my athletic ability, so I will likely never even have a ring in my collection. That said, your ring posts are very interesting and I hope they continue.
Thanks for your kind words. Please remember that you can acquire rings on any budget - College athletic rings, minor league baseball rings, salesman samples and even Replicas all look very good and can be found on ebay.