NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2020, 03:58 PM
John Donovan

Default 1935 Goudey - A "puzzling" set (Let's see some completed puzzles)

I know that the 1935 Goudey set is less popular than most Goudey sets...but I think it's a really fun, and enjoyable set. Not only does it allow me to collect pre-war players, but I get to assemble PUZZLES while I'm doing it...makes me feel like a kid again.

One of the projects I'm S L O W L Y working on (as in one card every few months) is the 36 card basic set. But I still want to complete some puzzles as I pick them up. I figured out that I can complete puzzles 1, 4, 5, and 8 while getting the 36 different fronts (although I think that means I have to pick up a couple of the rare backs). There are a couple other complete puzzle combinations that can also get you to the 36 fronts.

And who knows, once I complete those puzzles, maybe I'll finish the puzzle run and get the 72 different backs for all nine puzzles. I doubt I'd go for the master set though...that seems unnecessary.

Anyway, I recently finished my first puzzle (Mr. Joe Cronin), so I figured I would show it here. I'll include a picture of the fronts too, and if you look closely, you'll find a cameo from a very well worn Babe Ruth (that's one nice thing about having a beat up Ruth card...I can handle it raw without living in fear that dropping it could ding a corner and lower the value....it's value is already pretty low )

And as far as raw sets go, 1935 Goudey is MADE to be collected raw...because putting the puzzles together with graded cards doesn't fit quite right (I've cracked a couple of mine out already).

I'd love to see your completed puzzles too!

joe.jpg

ruth.jpg
Old 02-12-2020, 04:10 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

This puzzle includes the one card I may someday upgrade (lower right). Fox Greenberg Walker Rowe with 9F puzzle back cut into "singles".

Old 02-12-2020, 07:10 PM
Marc S.

Default This is not mine

but I remember loving the Uncut Sheet(s) for 1935 Goudey that have been in some prior auctions:

Old 02-13-2020, 12:19 AM

I just recently completed a basic set with absolutely no consideration about what puzzle piece was on each back. This thread made me wonder if I had any complete puzzles, and I was surprised that I have a complete Picture 3 of Frank Frisch, shown below.

I won't be pursuing other puzzle completions, but thanks OP for making me delve a little deeper into my 1935 Goudey set.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goudey35frischpuzzle.jpg (73.6 KB, 737 views)
Old 02-13-2020, 06:22 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Cool thread

Thanks to the op for starting it. Not a 35 Goudey guy, but appreciate seeing everyone elses puzzles!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 02-13-2020, 11:16 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Fun little set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mix - 1 (3).jpg (76.1 KB, 680 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:47 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 AM
John Donovan

Awesome, you guys are really delivering. So far this thread has shown completed puzzles of 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9.

If we can get posts of 1, 2 and 6 we'll have compiled the whole puzzle set in this thread!

The pictures of those uncut sheets are cool. I'll bet the fronts of those look great too. It's a really colorful set on the front side.

And Lucky Larry, I like that you included a card that was cut in the four smaller pieces. I was thinking about that...if someone really wanted a challenge, they could get all 72 different puzzle backs, and then cut them all into the four pieces. Then, mix them all around and try to assemble all nine puzzles. That would be an expensive experiment...and leave you with LOTS of random gray squares to piece together
Old 02-14-2020, 11:02 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 02-15-2020, 04:32 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

of course I love the 1935 Goudey set and a few years ago completed the 114 card master set of front/back combinations. Here's a scanned copy of the checklist if anyone finds it useful.

There are four Babe Ruth cards including two with tough backs (4A 5A) nice to pull them out this morning (stored in TCVS Mylar Sleeves).

Old 02-15-2020, 04:33 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 02-15-2020, 07:31 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
of course I love the 1935 Goudey set and a few years ago completed the 114 card master set of front/back combinations. Here's a scanned copy of the checklist if anyone finds it useful.

There are four Babe Ruth cards including two with tough backs (4A 5A) nice to pull them out this morning (stored in TCVS Mylar Sleeves).
That’s impressive LuckyLarry. I would have to imagine there aren’t too many master sets out there. These cards aren’t rare, but they are definitely more scarce than the 1933 or 1934 set. And the effort it would take to find all the back combinations seems like it would take some time. Like I said, I MAY someday try and get the 72 different puzzle pieces, but the master set probably is out of my budget and patience limit.

I actually built my own checklist and rare back list based on the PSA pop report, so I’ll cross reference mine against yours to see if I have all the rare backs listed correctly.

As it turned out, my beat up Ruth happened to be one of the rare ones (5A) so that was kind of cool.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:06 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

last one enjoy XX

Old 02-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for sharing the puzzle .....yes, a puzzle with slabbed cards wouldn't quite be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
I know that the 1935 Goudey set is less popular than most Goudey sets...but I think it's a really fun, and enjoyable set. Not only does it allow me to collect pre-war players, but I get to assemble PUZZLES while I'm doing it...makes me feel like a kid again.

One of the projects I'm S L O W L Y working on (as in one card every few months) is the 36 card basic set. But I still want to complete some puzzles as I pick them up. I figured out that I can complete puzzles 1, 4, 5, and 8 while getting the 36 different fronts (although I think that means I have to pick up a couple of the rare backs). There are a couple other complete puzzle combinations that can also get you to the 36 fronts.

And who knows, once I complete those puzzles, maybe I'll finish the puzzle run and get the 72 different backs for all nine puzzles. I doubt I'd go for the master set though...that seems unnecessary.

Anyway, I recently finished my first puzzle (Mr. Joe Cronin), so I figured I would show it here. I'll include a picture of the fronts too, and if you look closely, you'll find a cameo from a very well worn Babe Ruth (that's one nice thing about having a beat up Ruth card...I can handle it raw without living in fear that dropping it could ding a corner and lower the value....it's value is already pretty low )

And as far as raw sets go, 1935 Goudey is MADE to be collected raw...because putting the puzzles together with graded cards doesn't fit quite right (I've cracked a couple of mine out already).

I'd love to see your completed puzzles too!

Attachment 385156

Attachment 385157
Old 02-19-2020, 04:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I have to say, although this is a six piece, straight edged puzzle, the fact that Goudey still had to print the position of each piece of said puzzle right on the card, is hilarious to me!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 06-03-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:38 PM

I'm at 103/114 and the last few have proved to be much harder than I thought they ever would be. That, coupled with sellers who don't show back scans for this issue, haven't made this an easy set to complete. Fun, yes; easy, no.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Fred

Awesome thread and topic!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post

I decided to start on this set a few months ago, and the checklist you posted has been very helpful. I just picked up a large lot and have now completed puzzles 3, 5 and 7. I have never posted pictures, but if I can figure out how, I will post my completed puzzles.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 PM

So are the collages of the Indians and the Senators the exact same as appeared in the R309-2 set?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:33 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
So are the collages of the Indians and the Senators the exact same as appeared in the R309-2 set?
Paul, my initial answer to your question was going to be "Yes", because the images I have seen of the R309-2 Indians and Senators team cards looked like they were the same images as the completed puzzles of those teams (which you can see posted above in this thread).

HOWEVER, I decided to double check, and realized, that NO, the images are not identical. They are similar, but not the same. I have posted a picture below to see the comparisons. The images on the left are the R309-2 cards, and the images on the right are the completed puzzles.

The changes are more drastic on the Senators image. While it appears the same players are present, the images have been rearranged and cropped a little differently...and in particular the Manush image was moved from the lower right in the R309-2 to the upper left in the puzzle.

The changes in the Indians image are a little more subtle, but there are differences in some of the cropping and a design elements.

I'm glad you asked the question, but I never would have realized they were different!

1935.jpg
Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Thanks. I wonder why they made the changes.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:43 AM
Jay Shumsky

I completed the master set with the 5A Ruth from the last REA auction. It's the only card still in a slab (since it is an SGC 5 and much nicer than every other card in my set), so unfortunately, I can't put it in the binder with the rest of the set. Here are pictures of all the puzzles including the half of puzzle 1 from the short prints. For puzzles 2-7, each one is made up of the more common backs and the short print backs separately. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1 - full.jpg (79.6 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2a.jpg (75.2 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2b.jpg (75.2 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3a.jpg (74.4 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3b.jpg (75.0 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 4a.jpg (75.8 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 4b.jpg (75.9 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5a.jpg (76.8 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5b.jpg (77.5 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 6a.jpg (76.9 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 6b.jpg (75.6 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 7a.jpg (75.9 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 7b.jpg (75.9 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 8.jpg (79.4 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 9.jpg (79.8 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1 - half.jpg (75.6 KB, 384 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:46 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Congratulations Jay!
Old 03-26-2021, 01:38 PM
John Donovan

I love it...those are awesome Jay. Thanks for sharing.

I think I've only added TWO cards since I started this thread last year, so definitely slow going. Some of those front/back combos are tough to come by...so assembling them all like that is impressive!
Old 03-26-2021, 03:25 PM
Doug Goodman

I was always a Topps guy, have never collected Goudey, but those are SO cool, I'm tempted to start.

Thank you for a great thread.

Doug
Old 03-26-2021, 03:42 PM

Pretty impressive we now have two members with master 1935 Goudey sets. Perhaps we have more...anyone else?

The 4 in 1 design definitely has suppressed their prices over the years compared to most of the other Goudey issues. Good to see some 1935 love out there.

Brian
Old 03-26-2021, 03:51 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I was always a Topps guy, have never collected Goudey, but those are SO cool, I'm tempted to start.

Thank you for a great thread.

Doug
Doug, this is the only Goudey set I have, and this thread was what inspired me to collect it.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM

Still 5 short, including 2 Ruth's, but inching my way to 114
Old 03-26-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Still 5 short, including 2 Ruth's, but inching my way to 114
Pretty close...I think this makes you a 1935 Goudey Master in Waiting.

Brian
Old 03-26-2021, 06:59 PM

Not the Monster, not the Kraken but maybe it needs its own moniker...
Old 03-26-2021, 11:54 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Doug, this is the only Goudey set I have, and this thread was what inspired me to collect it.
I just might inspire me as well...

And I'm the guy who would break out that Ruth...

Last edited by doug.goodman; 03-26-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:36 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I just might inspire me as well...

And I'm the guy who would break out that Ruth...
Trust me, it's been tough so far not to so I still might. The other 3 were all graded as well, but they were all 1's (maybe there was a 1.5, I forget), so those were easy decisions to break out.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:24 PM
Craig L.

So does anyone have the ring that was offered in the wrapper?
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 10-22-2021, 01:23 PM
John Donovan

Replying to my own thread because this week I finished my second puzzle. I mentioned in the original post I was S L O W L Y building this set, so this proves that point.

I just finished off puzzle 4 using the six blue cards. This set build is taking even longer than I was planning because these cards have really started going up in price. This was going to be my "bargain" Goudey set, because when I started, many of the common cards could be purchased for $20. Not so anymore. In particular it took me a long time to finish puzzle 4 because the the Ruffing/Malone/Dickey/Lazzeri with the 4D back was so hard to get with a reasonable price. So I finally just overpaid for one so I could finish puzzle 4. Next up is puzzle 1 or puzzle 8/9 with the unique fronts I don't have.

Maybe I'll check in NEXT year with my progress

Here's my latest puzzle:

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg
Old 10-23-2021, 08:17 AM
Jay Shumsky

John, congrats on completing another puzzle. You are right about the prices. When I started on the set, prices were like you said, but like everything else last year, they went up considerably. At least you already have your Ruth card.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:11 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
John, congrats on completing another puzzle. You are right about the prices. When I started on the set, prices were like you said, but like everything else last year, they went up considerably. At least you already have your Ruth card.
Thanks Jay!

Every time I review this thread I’m always amazed at how quickly you were able to assemble your master set. Not an easy project!
Old 10-24-2021, 08:05 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Thanks Jay!

Every time I review this thread I’m always amazed at how quickly you were able to assemble your master set. Not an easy project!
I definitely paid more than I wanted to for the last few short prints that I needed, but at that point, I just wanted to complete the set. That's often the case with my sets - the last few cards tend to be higher in price than I would otherwise be willing to pay for them when I am not close to finishing the set.

Last edited by jayshum; 10-24-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Jon Canfield

I have this hanging on my office wall.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:54 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I have this hanging on my office wall.
Very cool looking. If I remember correctly, you can complete 4 puzzles and have a complete set of 32 different fronts (if you buy the right back versions) which it looks like is what you did.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:18 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Very cool looking. If I remember correctly, you can complete 4 puzzles and have a complete set of 32 different fronts (if you buy the right back versions) which it looks like is what you did.
I think that’s correct. I cheated though - I bought this already framed from REA in 2017. It seemed to have been passed over for most of the auction and I was looking for some wall art, so it was “right place at the right time”.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:37 AM

Cool that it was framed with the backs visible.

Brian
Old 10-26-2021, 11:07 AM
John Donovan

I love the framed pieces.

And yes, you can complete a variety of complete puzzle combinations by only putting together the 36 unique card fronts. Personally, I'm going the Puzzle 1, Puzzle 4, Puzzle5, and Puzzle 8 route. But there are other combinations that can get you there.

I had them all mapped out at one point, but don't have the exact sequences right now. I do know that Puzzle 8 and Puzzle 9 cards exclusively share the same card fronts (i.e. the Benge/Fitzsimmons/Koenig/Zachary card can be found with either 8A or 9A, and no other puzzles. Bonura/Haas/Hayes/Lyons (HOF) can be found as either 8B or 9B and no other puzzles, etc.). But the cards in puzzles 1 through 7 can be all over the place, with some cards appearing with 3 or 4 different backs mixed across the multiple puzzles.

Such a unique set!
Old 12-27-2022, 12:29 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Not a completed back puzzle but a completed front puzzle! Finally “rounded the bases” on my 4-in-1 with the Lonny Frey from today’s mail.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-03-2023, 09:29 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Not a completed back puzzle but a completed front puzzle! Finally “rounded the bases” on my 4-in-1 with the Lonny Frey from today’s mail.

Oh, now THAT'S cool. There are multiple ways to collect the 1935 Goudey set, but I've never thought of getting the "matching" cards for each player on a 4 in 1.

Are you doing this for ALL the 1935 Goudey cards (minus the eleven players discussed in the other thread)? That could raise a dilemma on the players that are pictured on multiple 1935 Goudey's (like Jim Bottomley)....would you have to buy TWO 1933 Bottomley cards (at least Ruth was only pictued once )
Old 01-03-2023, 10:12 AM
Richard

Default '35 cutouts

I would actually love to have a complete set of the '35s, but cut apart into their individual squares. Talk about putting together a puzzle! (And as the epitome of trimming it would assumedly be MUCH, much cheaper to collect.)