NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2021, 10:09 PM

Hello Frank,

That is a fantastic collection! Japanese bromide cards are the most fascinating cards to research by far. Robert has done a great job helping you, and I have a couple of tidbits to throw in which may be of interest.

On page 1 the Pacific player is indeed catcher Masumi Isekawa. Since the card lists his team as the Robins the issuer was simply using a 1946 photo when the team was known as Pacific.

Page 2 The top row is Iijima - Naito; middle row is Kiyohara - Iijima; bottom row is Kiyohara - Kumagami. I think Robert made a typo on the top row.

Page 3, as Robert indicated, has 2 team cards one reading Kinsei Stars and the other Kinsei Team. The Stars photo has the 1946 Goldstar team picture, but the card has the name change to Kinsei thus making the card a 1947 issue.

Page 4 the bottom right player is Hattori as you noted. The bottom left player, however, cannot be Hideo Shimizu since he is right handed and Shimizu was a lefty.

Page 5- Only the bottom right card is Michinori Tsubouchi. He is with the Stars and the card says: "Stars Tsubouchi Batting Form". The card with player #30 indicates it is a game between the Dragons and the Hawks. Note that the card with player #33 has the same font used for the uniform number as #30, and they have the same hats and socks. The only team in Japan with a #30 & #33 in 1948 was the Dragons and #30 is Kiyoshi Sugiura (notice his trademark bat release similar to his other card) and #33 was rookie OF Satoru Sugiyama. In fact Sugiyama was the only #33 in all of Japanese baseball that year.

Hope that helps,

Jeff
Old 09-23-2021, 06:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is a great thread with some super cards in it. Thanks to all whom have shared.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is a great thread with some super cards in it. Thanks to all whom have shared.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
That is a fantastic collection! Japanese bromide cards are the most fascinating cards to research by far. Robert has done a great job helping you, and I have a couple of tidbits to throw in which may be of interest....

Hope that helps,
Wow, thank you so much, Jeff! That is a huge help. I'm still fairly new to this but am doing my best to get up to speed and learn. In fact, learning about both mid-century Japanese baseball and about the bromide sets was my main motivation in purchasing this collection. I've purchased those resources I can find in English but they are scant. Japanese Baseball (Statistical Handbook) by Johnson, the books by Gary and Rob Fitts, and some visual guides to uniforms and caps. Otherwise, I just rely on searching the web and creative gymnastics with Google Translate and hope for the best. And Robert has been very generous with his knowledge, both on and off the forums. Without his help, I probably would have given up on Japanese baseball cards already.

Which brings us to page 6 of the album, which contains a mix of teams. The first card (top left) is a partial lineup of the Chubu Nippon team in what looks like their 1946 uniforms (suggesting a 1947 card?). If I am translating correctly, the players are (left to right) Fujimoto, Furukawa, Kanbayashi, Sugiura, and Tayori. I can't find any Tayori on the team roster so am probably mistranslating this one.

The top right card appears to be Michinori Tsubouchi at the end of his swing. He is in a Stars rather than Gold Star uniform, so the image is probably from the 1947 season (and thus a 1948 bromide...total guess).

The center row of cards contain no identifying text and I am not confident enough to identify the players by faces alone. If anyone knows who these players are, please do let me know!

The bottom left bromide is Tsuneo Mitomi in what looks like a 1946 uniform so probably a 1947 card (as most of the cards in this album appear to be). And the bottom right cards is a player I don't recognize at all. My best efforts with google come up with Okunai as a last name, but I can't find him on any rosters so I probably have it wrong.

Just a note: At the moment I am working on identifying all of the players in the album and trying to figure out the year of the images in hopes of later determining the specific sets. The next stage will be to measure all of the cards and make an effort to identify all of the individual issues. In the meantime, if anyone knows what set a particular card comes from, please feel free to let me know...I'm sure it will help guide me in the next stage. Thanks!

Chubu (Fujimoto, Furakawa, Kanbayashi, Sugiura) - Tsubouchi
? - Tsubouchi and ?
Mitomi - Tsuchiya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 smaller.jpg (79.2 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 ML.jpg (77.4 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 MR.jpg (74.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 BR.jpg (73.0 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:46 AM
Robert Klevens

You had the correct names for the team bromide however the last one is 右より which means "from the right", so it's not a player's name.

The player pictured here is Tooru Tsuchiya 土屋亨 the 土 character is cutoff. 内墅手 means infielder. 墅 is an older kanji character for 野
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 6 BR.jpg (73.0 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Robert Klevens

This player looks like Tsubouchi to me, however I can't identify the players in the action shot.

Also Jeff was correct I made a mistake. Page 2 top row is Iijima and Naito
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tsubouchi.jpg (78.2 KB, 274 views)
Old 09-23-2021, 12:24 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Thanks for both of the IDs, Robert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
The player pictured here is Tooru Tsuchiya 土屋亨 the 土 character is cutoff. 内墅手 means infielder. 墅 is an older kanji character for 野
And thank you for this. Working through the album is definitely familiarizing me with many more kanji characters and player names, but I don't think I would ever have figured that one out....
Old 09-23-2021, 06:11 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 7

Page 7

The top center and middle right cards look like Jiro Noguchi who may have been the Shohei Ohtani of the 1940s (or vice-versa). He was one of the top pitchers in the league (with a career ERA of 1.96) as well as an excellent hitter. The comparison breaks down there, as Noguchi almost never hit home runs…but his 31 game hitting streak stood as a record in Japan for 25 years. I also love the glasses. I believe both cards show images from 1946 (the season of his hitting streak) and are 1947 bromide issues. A little more research on uniforms is needed, as the 1946 Hankyu Club uniforms should be different than those of the later (1947 on) Hankyu Braves.

Seizo Furukawa (middle row center and bottom left cards) played for 17 seasons (and missed a couple due to the war). Before the war he played for Nagoya and immediately after, though the team became Chubu Nippon/Chunichi Dragons. In 1948 he moved to the Hankyu Braves where he spent his last dozen seasons. I believe both of these photos predate his move and so are probably 1947 issues.

Rounding out the album page is what I believe to be a 1947 bromide of Braves catcher Takeshi Hibino (top left card), Rentaro Imanishi (one of the Braves pitchers, top right), and Junji Nakatani (bottom right) in his 1946 Pacific team uniform (so likely an early 1947 bromide). Hibino played for 18 years, beginning in 1939, and lost an additional three seasons to the war.

The card in middle left doesn’t have any text and I’m not sure who this Braves player is. Does anyone recognize him?

I realize that mid-century Japanese bromides are a very small niche in the hobby. So I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read this thread and especially those who have helped me along with their comments. Heck, I even appreciate that people who skip over the thread don’t feel the need to tell me how niche it really is….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 7 ML.jpg (75.5 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 7 smaller.jpg (80.1 KB, 262 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 12:23 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 8

Page 8

If there are any fans of long-time Braves pitcher Yoshio Tenbo, then you might enjoy this page. Assuming, that is, that I’ve done the identification correctly. Tenbo appears in four of the bromides (top center, middle left and right, bottom left). Interestingly, each of the same images (just with different cropping) are used in two different cards. I believe the darker uniforms are from the 1946 season. The lighter ones need more research.

The top right card has no text, so I’m not really sure. Does anyone recognize this image?

The other cards on the page appear to be a 1947 bromide of Furukawa (top left), Shinji Hamasaki who had a short career as a pitcher for the Braves in the center (someone please correct me if I’ve identified the player incorrectly), and a Braves player that my clumsy attempts with google translate show as Takeshi Akashi (bottom right) though I can find no record of a player with that name.

As always, and help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 8 smaller.jpg (80.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide Page 8 UR.jpg (76.5 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide Page 8 BR.jpg (72.9 KB, 266 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 10:40 PM

Hi Frank,

You are doing great work. It is nice to find another collector seriously interested in Japanese baseball!

You have 2 nice cards of Jiro Noguchi. There were 3 Noguchi brothers who played professionally- Jiro, Akira, & Noboru. Noboru was unfortunately killed in 1945 in the Philippines, one of 51 Japanese players killed in WW II.

You have encountered one of the banes of Japanese player research in Akashi- the dreaded name change. Akashi changed his first name to Koichi so that is why you could not find him. Often times it is the last name that is changed like Hawks HOF manager Kazuto Tsuruoka who was formally Kazuto Yamamoto.

I will try to see if I can come up with anything on those unidentified players and keep the photos coming.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tags
bromide, japanese, kawakami, menko, starffin