NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Patrick N.

Default Condition Defects on Ur Pre-War Cards

In general, which of these are possibly acceptable condition issues and which ones do you refuse to tango with?

1) Ugly crease
2) Small writing or marks (intials, stamps etc)
3) Badly miscut edge/terrible centering
4) Punchhole/staple hole
5) Border Tear/Rip
6) Out of Focus Image
7) Trimmed Edges
8) Heavy surface staining
9) Major Loss of surface gloss/wear
10) Noticeable Paper loss back

The only ones I will do the two-step with is: 2, 3 and MAYBE 4. Feel free to add a few major defects to the list.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
In general, which of these are possibly acceptable condition issues and which ones do you refuse to tango with?

1) Ugly crease
4) Punchhole/staple hole
5) Border Tear/Rip
6) Out of Focus Image
7) Trimmed Edges

The only ones I will do the two-step with is: 2, 3 and MAYBE 4. Feel free to add a few major defects to the list.
I only collect mid-grade. A small crease or wrinkle is fine. Moderate corner wear is fine as well. I have no problem with centering issues as they were caused by the factory and not subsuquent collectors.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

none of those are deal breakers for me, heavy stains probably bother me the most though or if a chunk of the card is missing.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM

For me a lot depends on the particular issue and the rarity of the card. For example, back damage is a non-issue for me with N172s, but is very important on T206s. If the card is extremely rare (only a few known), I will take what I can get. I have been collecting N167s and that is certainly the case with them. On cards that are not that hard to find like CJs or T206s, centering, staining, creases, and extreme corner wear are a bigger deal. Generally, the overall eye-appeal of the card is very important to me.
JimB
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Rhett Yeakley

The #1 thing that bugs me and that almost certainly excludes cards from my collection is clipped corners. I'm not sure why my brain hates them so much but apparently I'm octagonally challenged!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM

A crease through the player's face is usually a deal-breaker for me.

I can take the rest of the defects mentioned - but it really depends on overall eye appeal of the card.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Tim Sanders

Default Personally

I can deal with all of the above, but major paper loss on the front is my deal breaker.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Lance

Couple of weeks I spent on Ebay trying to win a pre-war card or two, just to have something diff for display(couldn't win anything I wanted darn it ). But, I eliminated from consideration cards that had a ugly crease through the pic of the player right off the bat along with the bad miscuts. Paper loss would or is another factor. I'll try later in the summer to pick up a card or two(would love a Mathewson or Shoeless Joe). But, before I bid on anything else pre war i'm consulting some collectors on here for advice. And, i'm not ashamed to admit that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post

1) Ugly crease
4) Punchhole/staple hole
5) Border Tear/Rip
6) Out of Focus Image
7) Trimmed Edges

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Bob Pomilla

Major paper loss on the front, is a likely deal-breaker for me. Most repugnant however, is anything marring/obscuring the player's face.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Jeff

Default I'll Play

1) Ugly crease - Deal Killer
2) Small writing or marks (intials, stamps etc) - OK on back
3) Badly miscut edge/terrible centering - NO
4) Punchhole/staple hole - NO
5) Border Tear/Rip - Maybe if doesn't affect image
6) Out of Focus Image - the worst
7) Trimmed Edges - if it's a tuff card, I can live with it
8) Heavy surface staining - no
9) Major Loss of surface gloss/wear - no
10) Noticeable Paper loss back - OK on blank backs

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Larry

Clipped corners, even for coupons, like a number of the 1928 PCL Exhibits in the current Mile High auction. Unless the card was extremely rare and had enormous significance TO ME, I just wouldn't want to own a card like that. They kind of reminded me of the 1907 Wolverine News Cobb (batting pose) which recently made several appearances on e-bay, with no takers even at $450. Now this is a rare Cobb rookie, so why no interest? The card was literally in several pieces!

I also generally steer clear of creases if possible; however, with a really tough, desireable card, such as the '23 Lections Ruth (where most of the very, very few that exist are in poor grade) or even the '47 Tip Top Bread Warren Spahn (true rookie, a short print in a rare set to begin with) or similar cards, I'll accept creases. In fact, I almost passed on one graded PSA 1 (Mk), until I checked the pop report and saw that of the mere 6 that had been graded, the HIGHEST graded example was a PSA 1!

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-27-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

It depends on the set for me. For my Ruth Master set, I will accept everything and anything. All of the defects on that list, I will take for a copy of one of his playing days card that I don't currently have. However, I am also working on a 33 Goudey set, and for that set, I will not take any of those defects, other than fillers that I would eagerly look to upgrade.