NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default Jack Dunn...Horizontal?

Posted By: Steve Murray

This is not the first time I've seen the Dunn card identified as being a "horizontal".

I've always considered it not to be but would like to see some comments.

http://cgi.ebay.com/T206-T-206-Jack-Dunn-Horizontal-Top-Grade-PSA-8-NM-MT_W0QQitemZ150121092966QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31718QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well Jack Dunn was a pitcher and an infielder. If that doesn't look like an infielder going after a ball I don't know what it is...

Maybe the folks that think it is horizontal never played ball or infield. Maybe that one is horizontal because it was scanned sideways.

I think it is a normal card, NOT horizontal.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy

I agree with Frank. I've never considered the Dunn a horizontal. I've always hoped that someone would uncover the original image that the card was cropped from. That would solve this issue for good.

I always thought the Kleinow catching card looked like an odd image until I saw the original image that the card came from. When you see the full picture, the cropped image on the card makes more sense.

Well, that's my two cents.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've always considered the T206 Dunn a strange pose.

I believe he is reaching up to catch a fly ball, but when you tilt the card horizontally it looks like he is lunging for a ball. It's just an oddity that works both ways.

And please fix the spelling of "horizontal" in the title of your post. I know, I'm well aware I'm a pain in the butt, it's just my nature

Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Let's see how smart you really are. Tell me what's is wrong with:

New Poll: "Favorite Caramel Set"

Old 05-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

"What's is"

That's a double use of "is"

Old 05-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Now you STOP IT!!!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

will be considered horizontal.

Or, if you tilt your head to one side far enough, you will notice that the card's horizontal-ness suddenly disappears! I found that to be one of those real neat-o tricks that can get you through a boring class...

Old 05-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy

The photo isn't of Dunn, it's Jack O'Connor, but the pose is close.

Now, here is the O'Connor image complete. This at least shows that a player could easily be in this pose on a cropped card image and NOT be a horizontal image. It's at least enough for me.

Thanks,

Andy

edited to add: none of these images are actually mine. I "borrowed" them all.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

I think it’s a horizontal pose. Players don't look straight up in the air to catch a ball and have the inside of their glove facing their face unless its Willie Mays sprinting towards the wall and looking back over his should to catch a ball. Perhaps Dunn was trying to track down a ball a doing an over the shoulder grab but it appears to be a diving catch…..........compare the Dunn image to this photo.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken

Just like all the t206's name at bottom and player looking up to catch the ball......simple as that... if it was horizontal then his name would of been at the bottom of the card in the horizontal position. Which it is NOT.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Not real sure what you're saying. Elaborate?

Old 05-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

The original pose might have been intended to be either vertical or horizontal. I think the original player pose was photographed askew and had to be "righted", or rotated if you will, to make it fit properly in the rectangular T206 card shape. For example, if you've ever taken a photograph with the camera tilted, when you view the finished print you need to rotate the picture in your hands somewhat so that the subject matter is not at a slant to your eyes. I think that is why the Dunn background is flat green, as opposed to almost all the other fielding poses, they have that idealized sunset-to-grass background, with a normal horizon line at 90 degress. You see the same thing with the Becker and LaPorte cards -- the player poses are sort of weird, one comes out of the bottom left corner, etc, instead of the bottom center. Their backgrounds are painted flat too. Dunn is coming out closer to the bottom right, if held vertically.
So, when it came time to fix the image in the T206 card, the Dunn picture had to be rotated to fit as a whole inside the rectangular frame, which resulted in the background no longer being perpendicular to the card's right angles. Their answer, ditch the background completely. Paint the whole thing one color. Probably only the photographer, the person who painted it, and the person who set it for print know if it was originally vertical or horizontal. My take is, when you look at it vertically Dunn's eyes are not really looking straight up to the sky for a pop up -- would he really catch a ball like that. Looks to me like he's going in a forward direction to scoop something hit directly at him, although not straight-on forward, when the shutter snapped. And so they had to rotate the image somewhat. So I go with horizontal.

Edited many times in search of the perfect comma placement.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

Slight hijack of the thread for this card.

Should this PSA-8 get ten times the value of the same card PSA-6?
Jack Dunn PSA-6 eBay Item number: 220109633374 ended several days ago at $381.00. This current auctin is at $2275.00. Is there that big of a price difference for the two grade difference on other T206's?